new deck from Theory11... Rarebit

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: new deck from Theory11... Rarebit

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Yep. Lee Asher has been doing it for years with his stash of JNuggs, who knows how many he's actually sitting on (or how many other people have large amounts of them doing the same thing). Though at least he didn't stage the whole thing or makes any false claims about quantities etc.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

DeBeers Marketing 101: monopolize the entire stock, release handfuls every once in a while, increase demand by making the public believe it's more rare than it actually is, profit.
cosmicsecret
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Eoghann wrote:DeBeers Marketing 101: monopolize the entire stock, release handfuls every once in a while, increase demand by making the public believe it's more rare than it actually is, profit.
Give this man a hand! He is awake and fully aware of this business strategy....
Thanks! ;)

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Derp. I deserve that. Thought MF's comment followed Paul's. Didn't notice CPs in between. Either way shut up, I'm on my phone. I'll blame the tiny screen as well. :)
BLACKWHITE

Unread post by BLACKWHITE »

I think we all have known the rules already ;)
Andrei Jikh

Unread post by Andrei Jikh »

Popped in to say hi, haven't been here in a while!

We printed them limited because that's what the restaurant requested, same for JAQKs. That said though, theory11 doesn't make any extra profit from limited releases as it's never sold a deck for over $6.95. Nor does theory11 benefit from high costs of decks in the aftermarket other than perhaps brag rights (Rarebits sold for over $300 on eBay, crazy). In contrast with Lee Asher, who sells JNugs for $250 a deck and takes the whole thing - pretty big difference and he's certainly not the only one with that ethic. I suppose that's smart, and I can see why it would upset some people but this isn't how theory11 has ever or will ever do business.

In fact, it's way more profitable to make an UNLIMITED release since it keeps costs low and the supply... well... unlimited but that's only IF you can sell the whole run and very few can - just look at how many private/individual guys do "limited" releases. Initial investment of time/money also goes farther in unlimited releases but they are far more difficult to do successfully in terms of selling on a large scale. If anyone is benefitting financially from rare decks it's you guys - the collectors. :)
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Andrei Jikh wrote:Popped in to say hi, haven't been here in a while!

We printed them limited because that's what the restaurant requested, same for JAQKs. That said though, theory11 doesn't make any extra profit from limited releases as it's never sold a deck for over $6.95. Nor does theory11 benefit from high costs of decks in the aftermarket other than perhaps brag rights (Rarebits sold for over $300 on eBay, crazy). In contrast with Lee Asher, who sells JNugs for $250 a deck and takes the whole thing - pretty big difference and he's certainly not the only one with that ethic. I suppose that's smart, and I can see why it would upset some people but this isn't how theory11 has ever or will ever do business.

In fact, it's way more profitable to make an UNLIMITED release since it keeps costs low and the supply... well... unlimited but that's only IF you can sell the whole run and very few can - just look at how many private/individual guys do "limited" releases. Initial investment of time/money also goes farther in unlimited releases but they are far more difficult to do successfully in terms of selling on a large scale. If anyone is benefiting financially from rare decks it's you guys - the collectors. :)
Are you kidding??? yes you may only sell decks for $6.95, but you have used these promotions of "rare" decks to get people to buy far more than they might have otherwise (such as buy a brick, get a rare deck free, as well as tier "gifts" etc). Please don't take us for idiots and pretend that you are being altruistic.

Also, what about my Artisan Collector's Edition Box set? Pretty sure that I paid more than $6.95 per deck for that one, unless you value that box at a tremendously high price.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Strag

The artisan box is very cheap. If you price the 4 decks at $6.95, that makes the box around $22 which is very cheap compare to all other boxes. Get your facts straight my friend

Also and I might be wrong here Theory 11 rarely does the buy the brick get a free rare deck promo. Blue Crown, Ellusionist do it all the time but I do not see it that often for them
Andrei Jikh

Strag wrote:Are you kidding??? yes you may only sell decks for $6.95, but you have used these promotions of "rare" decks to get people to buy far more than they might have otherwise (such as buy a brick, get a rare deck free, as well as tier "gifts" etc). Please don't take us for idiots and pretend that you are being altruistic.

Also, what about my Artisan Collector's Edition Box set? Pretty sure that I paid more than $6.95 per deck for that one, unless you value that box at a tremendously high price.
Why is "rare" and "gifts" in quotes? I think I'm missing your point completely. Yes - you are correct. That's what promotions and rare items are actually for... I don't understand your complaint.
BLACKWHITE

1. Basis for collecting something is to have rare items - "limited".
2. Theory11, Ellusionist , D&D or any other company are for making money - that's the 1st rule of Economics.

Don't understand complains about that.

Would you rather pay 100$ to Theory11 for limited deck or get it for free as a bonus ?
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Andrei Jikh wrote:Popped in to say hi, haven't been here in a while!

In fact, it's way more profitable to make an UNLIMITED release since it keeps costs low and the supply... well... unlimited but that's only IF you can sell the whole run and very few can - just look at how many private/individual guys do "limited" releases. Initial investment of time/money also goes farther in unlimited releases but they are far more difficult to do successfully in terms of selling on a large scale. If anyone is benefitting financially from rare decks it's you guys - the collectors. :)
Hey Andrei, thanks for stopping buy. My only issue with T11 and the limited deck thing is how T11 often times avoids giving the number of DECKS that have been printed in a "limited release". When I got my White Monarchs from the site I asked via email how many were printed and I got a "it's a secret" response. I like T11, good decks, good magic and good customer service but why not let people know how limited limited is. If we are buying a deck primarily for its rarity we should know exactly what the rarity is. By the way, I failed in my mission to obtain the Rarebit deck but I am not bitter about it, well ok maybe I am a little. Other than that, t11 does some great stuff
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

BLACKWHITE wrote:1. Basis for collecting something is to have rare items - "limited".
2. Theory11, Ellusionist , D&D or any other company are for making money - that's the 1st rule of Economics.

Don't understand complains about that.

Would you rather pay 100$ to Theory11 for limited deck or get it for free as a bonus ?
I spent the 50 bucks to get some T11 decks I hadn't picked up yet and got the Rarebit free. Considering what it's going for on EBay I'd say that's a pretty darn good investment. I had no idea it'd be worth that much at the time but sometimes you have to take risks in this game. On top of that, it's a damn good looking deck.
Andrei Jikh

Hey walrus! That's odd, theory11 has been pretty transparent when it comes to limited releases. That said though, we had 500 Rarebits in warehouse to start and only a few remain in the archive and our private collection. By few, I do mean few.

I don't remember the white monarch count but I remember white centurions was something like 1100. To date, by far the most rare deck we've ever made, and it was by pure accident that they survived the destruction was the first run of monarchs which had a gold leaf back with the navy blue (rather than the white that's the standard). We figured there wasn't enough contrast so we sacrificed the color match with the tuck case in favor of making the cards pop more in the hands - miraculously, something like a little over a hundred survived. If you ever see one around, grab it quick before I do haha. I have a few sealed ones that I keep in storage but unfortunately, there's no certain way to get a sealed one in the after market because they're indistinguishable from the standard monarchs (unless you open the tuck case and look at the cards). I call them Monarchs - unicorn edition. :lol:
JokerzGamez

Unread post by JokerzGamez »

Andrei Jikh wrote:Hey walrus! That's odd, theory11 has been pretty transparent when it comes to limited releases. That said though, we had 500 Rarebits in warehouse to start and only a few remain in the archive and our private collection. By few, I do mean few.

I don't remember the white monarch count but I remember white centurions was something like 1100. To date, by far the most rare deck we've ever made, and it was by pure accident that they survived the destruction was the first run of monarchs which had a gold leaf back with the navy blue (rather than the white that's the standard). We figured there wasn't enough contrast so we sacrificed the color match with the tuck case in favor of making the cards pop more in the hands - miraculously, something like a little over a hundred survived. If you ever see one around, grab it quick before I do haha. I have a few sealed ones that I keep in storage but unfortunately, there's no certain way to get a sealed one in the after market because they're indistinguishable from the standard monarchs (unless you open the tuck case and look at the cards). I call them Monarchs - unicorn edition. :lol:
Hey Andrei, nice of you to stop by. While we are discussing things about T11, I have something to say,

If you are going to release the Red Monarchs, make the ink on the jokers ACTUALLY red. The main disappointments of the Silver Monarchs was the lack of silver, especially on the Jokers. I know it is something as big as make the courts custom or add metallic inks or customize the colours on the courts (although that is something else you could think about for the Red Monarchs ;) ;) ), but it will actually make a difference, no matter how small it is. Just wanted to say that.

P.S Also how about Silver Artisans? :D With ACTUAL silver please.
"First rule of magic: always be the smartest guy in the room"

- Jesse Eisenberg, Now You See Me
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Well, after reading through this, I think I'm going to schedule a meal for myself and the wife down on King Street - 474 King St, to be exact. $100 for them to hand over a deck? I got mine free, redeemed some points from my purchases over the years on T11, but - never hurts to have a spare or three. I'm thinking I could talk them into 2 decks for my $100 meal. We'll see - I'll report back what I find out.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

ratledge wrote:Well, after reading through this, I think I'm going to schedule a meal for myself and the wife down on King Street - 474 King St, to be exact. $100 for them to hand over a deck? I got mine free, redeemed some points from my purchases over the years on T11, but - never hurts to have a spare or three. I'm thinking I could talk them into 2 decks for my $100 meal. We'll see - I'll report back what I find out.
You do that.
I'll wait. :geek:
No matter where you go... there you are :|
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Headed to graveyard shift this Wednesday - I start working 10pm to 8am, 10 - hour shifts 4 times a week. It doesn't exactly make for a normal schedule, but I have this in my mind, it will be done soon.

I'm thinking it would be a good place to recon for when Tom & Judy Dawson come to town in March or April. It would seem like an appropriate place to eat. "I'll take my steak with a side of playing cards"...
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
BLACKWHITE

Rarebit are depleted from the Archive! :)

So now only eBay or... the Restaurant :mrgreen:
phantom1412

Unread post by phantom1412 »

BLACKWHITE wrote:Rarebit are depleted from the Archive! :)

Oh no no :shock:
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

phantom1412 wrote:
BLACKWHITE wrote:Rarebit are depleted from the Archive! :)

Oh no no :shock:
Yep, I know. I feel like an arse now that I know I got the last one from them, I just redeemed points on the day after Black Friday, the 30th - when I went to survey how much damage I had done to my wallet, and found that I had about 270 points more than I needed for them to ship me a Rarebit deck post-paid, so I knocked it out. Looked up, and instead of going back to the screen, I got a replacement with the button changed so it was no longer selectable. That was the same day I found out the Rarebit restaurant is downtown not far from where I work. We'll see here sometime soon, I'm working on the graveyard 10PM-8AM shift starting tomorrow, and every week Wednesdays through Sundays. That will turn me upside-down starting tomorrow, I'm way too used to the afternoon/swing shift from 2PM to midnight. I've still got to eat, and so does the wife. Fair enough to spend $100+ when you can get $130-$160 (apparently) on ebay right now? I'll see if I can't wrangle my way into getting a few decks rather than one at a time.

Remind me when I do that you already claimed one, I'll do a special for UC members at 33% off like the Italian Cats what I want elsewhere. $70? Depends on how many I can get.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<