Kingstar Carat Cases - Misleading the Public?

Anything and everything playing cards!
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Re: Kingstar Carat Cases - Misleading the Public?

Unread post by GandalfPC »

What you didn’t see was all he said, in public and in private message.

Mods and Admins do not ban people based upon requests - we do it based upon people violating the rules.

This user was banned for personal attacks, made in public and private. Repeatedly.

The amount of slack we attempted to cut them, the chances we attempted to give - had to come to an end.
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
JazzBaloo

Unread post by JazzBaloo »

GandalfPC wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:02 am What you didn’t see was all he said, in public and in private message.

Mods and Admins do not ban people based upon requests - we do it based upon people violating the rules.

This user was banned for personal attacks, made in public and private. Repeatedly.

The amount of slack we attempted to cut them, the chances we attempted to give - had to come to an end.
I understand the reason Sir. I understand that people aren't banned upon requests from non authorities. That does not stop people from suggesting it.
GandalfPC

Nope, suggesting it not against the rules.

Honeybee
White Whale: Hardcover S17 Anthology
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

And of course, nobody suggested a ban in this case :ugthink:
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
JazzBaloo

Let's go through all the rules just to be sure. Suggesting that someone's comment is too much in some way for them to be a new user is begging someone to look into a ban jumper with the goal of having them banned again.
GandalfPC

When I saw that first post, and had the choice to approve the new user or not, I did not. I saw that it was somewhat attacking of bacon and was not quick to approve a first time post with attitude.

Another mod approved it before I had a chance to address.

So yes, whomever thought that post was odd for a first time post here was correct.

Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

JazzBaloo wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:42 pm It really is like a club here where if you don't agree with or don't sugar coat things in regards to certain people, the gang will correct you. It's like some people have carte blanche to be as rude as they like while others are held to the fire for less.
As a year long member, I can tell you this is not true. Of course, like in every community, there is a certain decorum that might seem random and alien to newer members.

As for the topic... not to step on toes but seriously, something a tad more creative than DS1 and X1 would help to avoid easy misunderstandings and copy&paste. Imagine Nike branding a shoe "RunningShoe1" or Lego going with "PlasticClickBrick" (although that one seems somewhat creative).
As long as CCC, which seems to be trademarked, isn't used, I don't see any wrong doing.
If Carat Case, X1 and DS1 aren't trademarked they're fair game to my understanding.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
JazzBaloo

Harvonsgard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:57 am As a year long member, I can tell you this is not true. Of course, like in every community, there is a certain decorum that might seem random and alien to newer members.

As for the topic... not to step on toes but seriously, something a tad more creative than DS1 and X1 would help to avoid easy misunderstandings and copy&paste. Imagine Nike branding a shoe "RunningShoe1" or Lego going with "PlasticClickBrick" (although that one seems somewhat creative).
As long as CCC, which seems to be trademarked, isn't used, I don't see any wrong doing.
If Carat Case, X1 and DS1 aren't trademarked they're fair game to my understanding.
Been around this pool for multiple years but I can still respect your opinion regardless of disagreeing.
JazzBaloo

GandalfPC wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:07 am When I saw that first post, and had the choice to approve the new user or not, I did not. I saw that it was somewhat attacking of bacon and was not quick to approve a first time post with attitude.

Another mod approved it before I had a chance to address.

So yes, whomever thought that post was odd for a first time post here was correct.
Correct or not isn't relevant to the goal
GandalfPC

It is just not surprising that some people had hair on the back of their neck go up. We have seen this before, so it rings bells.

In other forums I am sure there would be different alarm bells, but here we simply don’t see a whole lot of new users come in with such attitude. It’s a card collecting forum - a hobby that is meant to be fun - and while anyone can get a grump on about anything, and it can be on your first day here, it is so rare that the only person to do it has been the same person who has a personal habit of it.

This is not the local Starbucks, its a tea party - and we don’t expect people poking fun at the way anyone dresses here.

We certainly don’t expect or allow personal attacks.

But the line is tea-party.

GandalfPC

Let’s also note that new users to friendly forums do not generally have the “let me say something in a less than nice tone to the guy who has been on the forum since 2019 and has over a 1000 posts and thanks without first being on the forum long enough to know anyone”

(and they generally don’t use a shorthand name like “Bacon” for Baconwise unless they already know them - but that was just a red flag)

I’m not saying they can’t - I’m just saying that human nature makes it a pretty rare occurrence for anyone trying to make friends and discuss a hobby.

It is pretty normal for someone looking to get out some aggression though.

JazzBaloo

Such attitude and grumpy, hmmm... were there personal attacks against baconwise in that comment? No one is suggesting that those things are alright. I am not questioning how the suspicion arose either. I said people didn't like what was said and then questions of legitimacy began of his being here. Ban him for having such attitude or grumpiness or whatever disgusting things you see in dm, that is within your power to do what is right as per the rules or guidelines of this forum. I am not saying he shouldn't have been banned. I was only pointing out the discourse.
GandalfPC

We can all stand to be a touch more tolerant and a touch nicer to our fellow man without fear of bursting into flames.

kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

*pulls playing cards out of the drywall* Aggression? What aggression?

It seems the decisions made were less focused on the content of the discourse and moreso the circumventing of a ban, which was placed for very warranted reasons after multiple incidences of redirection. I find the majority of individuals here have had very open abilities to speak their minds without repercussion, so I am not about to conflate the reactions to a few bad apples as any accurate indication of the forum being a "club." It sure is a community though, and certain decisions need to be made on a case-by-case basis by individuals I trust. I have not been given a reason to distrust said individuals.

Overall, I'm glad to see the support from the community in advocating with and for Sherman. Bringing it back now y'all.
JazzBaloo

kevork wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:07 pm *pulls playing cards out of the drywall* Aggression? What aggression?

It seems the decisions made were less focused on the content of the discourse and moreso the circumventing of a ban, which was placed for very warranted reasons after multiple incidences of redirection. I find the majority of individuals here have had very open abilities to speak their minds without repercussion, so I am not about to conflate the reactions to a few bad apples as any accurate indication of the forum being a "club." It sure is a community though, and certain decisions need to be made on a case-by-case basis by individuals I trust. I have not been given a reason to distrust said individuals.

Overall, I'm glad to see the support from the community in advocating with and for Sherman. Bringing it back now y'all.
The decision made was definitely for circumventing a ban. That is not in question. The why look into it is. The why that person was told they don't care about anyone but themselves is. Regardless of the differing opinions, I've stated mine and people have stated theirs. If they don't see it as problematic then ok. To each their own.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Harvonsgard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:57 am As for the topic... not to step on toes but seriously, something a tad more creative than DS1 and X1 would help to avoid easy misunderstandings and copy&paste. Imagine Nike branding a shoe "RunningShoe1" or Lego going with "PlasticClickBrick" (although that one seems somewhat creative).
To be fair, I did not imagine either of these two products (Carat X1 and Carat DS1) that I created and named, to become popular enough that it would inspire knock-offs and copies, so I wasn't trying to come up with distinct names that would not come off as being generic. But thanks for comparing me to Nike or Lego, I take that as a compliment. :lol:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
KingfisherZero

Unread post by KingfisherZero »

Take it from the guy who named his YouTube channel "The Card Guy."

Creativity is hard.
AKA "The Card Guy"

Subscribe for deck reviews galore! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Y-CG ... 7GFXMmULWA

IG: @TheCardGuyYT
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

shermjack wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:13 pm ... I take that as a compliment. :lol:
As it should be taken. Knocking the names of your products, doesn't take away from the great stuff you've done for the community.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
JazzBaloo

shermjack wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:13 pm
Harvonsgard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:57 am As for the topic... not to step on toes but seriously, something a tad more creative than DS1 and X1 would help to avoid easy misunderstandings and copy&paste. Imagine Nike branding a shoe "RunningShoe1" or Lego going with "PlasticClickBrick" (although that one seems somewhat creative).
To be fair, I did not imagine either of these two products (Carat X1 and Carat DS1) that I created and named, to become popular enough that it would inspire knock-offs and copies, so I wasn't trying to come up with distinct names that would not come off as being generic. But thanks for comparing me to Nike or Lego, I take that as a compliment. :lol:
Are you saying there were no hard or soft plastic deck protectors before you created yours?
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I do not believe that was claimed in Sherman's reply.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

JazzBaloo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:36 pm
Are you saying there were no hard or soft plastic deck protectors before you created yours?
Yes, there were no magnetic acrylic displays or PET deck protectors like mine made for the mainstream playing card community. There were display cases, but they cost 50 each for one deck and that made me look for alternatives, eventually developing the carat case, an acrylic display case with a magnetic lid closure.
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Sherman, is that you?
download (2).jpg
download (2).jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 77 times
For shits and giggles, AI came up with this. This must be an off-brand carat case:
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 77 times
JazzBaloo

shermjack wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:41 pm
JazzBaloo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:36 pm
Yes, there were no magnetic acrylic displays or PET deck protectors like mine made for the mainstream playing card community. There were display cases, but they cost 50 each for one deck and that made me look for alternatives, eventually developing the carat case, an acrylic display case with a magnetic lid closure.
That is really something special to have made your mark. Special indeed