The Gentleman Thief by Thirdway Industries

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
kevork
Collector: Yes
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

The Gentleman Thief by Thirdway Industries

Unread post by kevork »

I still haven't gotten used to the title when we have The Gentleman Wake, but curious to see more about this deck.
Screenshot_20240308_174940_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240308_174950_Instagram.jpg
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: The Gentleman Thief by Thirdway Industries

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Lel... so I'm not the only one. The power of branding, haha.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
laitostarr777
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

TGW vs TGT
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

there will be a test later
TWI is releasing TGT this year
and TGW is releasing the TGW deck.

and the art style for both will be a little similar.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes

Unread post by kevork »

Evilgamer

Kickstarter is in June.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Looking at the most recent promo, and as usual, Gio has the story aspect completely nailed down. I love it. These decks are gonna get played at my table, yessiree.
This space intentionally left blank.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

There is also The Gentlaman Bastards, a series of books by Scott Lynch about... thieves.
Thirdway Industries
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Launch date - 12th June 2024!

Subcribe the prelaunch here ! > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ying-cards

Here are some cool pics I just got from @chambertincards (I am really happy with these!)

I hope to see you there!
Attachments
DSC07756.jpg
DSC07857.jpg
DSC07912.jpg
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JazzBaloo

Unread post by JazzBaloo »

The box prices are special.
Evilgamer

JazzBaloo wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:08 pm The box prices are special.
eh its a $22 or $24 average per deck hardly unreasonable.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

Evilgamer wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:20 pm
Considering the prices those decks sell for normally, that's a damn good deal. Especially is someone doesn't already have those decks.
JazzBaloo

Evilgamer wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:20 pm
22 is kind of within reason for the more expensive decks in the monsterbox but not for the standards that sell for 16€ ... so take the extra dollars from those and add to the others and now it's close to 30$ usd for the "rare" ones. It's all good if people think it's a great deal and partake, I only speak for myself and a few others who share the same sentiment. My dollars will go to Jocu's brick instead. The decks work out to maybe 12$ usd each. That is what can be considered a good deal. You can't price a deck at 1000$ on your website but sell it for 500$ and call it a good deal. Jocu decks for 12$... the gilded decks with wjpc and boschiero tucks from jocu are nearly half the price of the thief decks with similar specs. I think the gilded thief deck has foil on faces or backs or both but does that raise the price of the deck by 10$ usd? Octofly also has to be paid from the campaign.
Evilgamer

JazzBaloo wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:03 pm 22 is kind of within reason for the more expensive decks in the monsterbox but not for the standards that sell for 16€ ... so take the extra dollars from those and add to the others and now it's close to 30$ usd for the "rare" ones. It's all good if people think it's a great deal and partake, I only speak for myself and a few others who share the same sentiment. My dollars will go to Jocu's brick instead. The decks work out to maybe 12$ usd each. That is what can be considered a good deal. You can't price a deck at 1000$ on your website but sell it for 500$ and call it a good deal. Jocu decks for 12$... the gilded decks with wjpc and boschiero tucks from jocu are nearly half the price of the thief decks with similar specs. I think the gilded thief deck has foil on faces or backs or both but does that raise the price of the deck by 10$ usd? Octofly also has to be paid from the campaign.
apples and oranges, the base 2 TGT decks are USPCC decks, no foil (metallic ink yes) and 2000 print run each, print it, ship it to Texas...done.

The "secretus rex" deck is being printed by WJPC, yes it has foil on the backs and fronts and then has to be sent to the US for distribution. (and he JUST had a bunch of decks damaged doing that). and the print run is 1000.

Are the WJPC decks $40-$50 to produce as their price suggests? almost certainly not but yeah I would believe a lot more than $10 each more.

To me in the end a duplicate deck is worth $0 so I don't buy boxes.

The Jocu/octofly decks are not foiled or metallic ink, just gilding a portion of the larger run its a very simple campaign and thats fine, but that campaign shouldn't be used a proof that other campaigns are overpriced.

And would you look at that! when you buy the gilded Jocu/octofly decks separately they're $22 each. $32.50 when you factor that I had to buy a third deck I don't really have a use for to even get them.
JazzBaloo

Evilgamer wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:58 pm apples and oranges, the base 2 TGT decks are USPCC decks, no foil (metallic ink yes) and 2000 print run each, print it, ship it to Texas...done.

The "secretus rex" deck is being printed by WJPC, yes it has foil on the backs and fronts and then has to be sent to the US for distribution. (and he JUST had a bunch of decks damaged doing that). and the print run is 1000.

Are the WJPC decks $40-$50 to produce as their price suggests? almost certainly not but yeah I would believe a lot more than $10 each more.

To me in the end a duplicate deck is worth $0 so I don't buy boxes.

The Jocu/octofly decks are not foiled or metallic ink, just gilding a portion of the larger run its a very simple campaign and thats fine, but that campaign shouldn't be used a proof that other campaigns are overpriced.

And would you look at that! when you buy the gilded Jocu/octofly decks separately they're $22 each. $32.50 when you factor that I had to buy a third deck I don't really have a use for to even get them.
I'm comparing the "deals" when buying bricks. I'm not sold on your explanations of why I would pay so much for wjpc decks or even uspcc decks. It's all yours buddy, have at er.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

There's something else you're paying for, as well, when you buy a deck of cards. The art, and the artist(s) behind it. If you consider the artwork by the two producers to be equivalent, well, that controls for one variable. If you find Jocu's to be superior, then you're clearly getting a better deal with Jocu. If you find Gio's superior, then the scales tip back in the other direction.

I *do* have qualms about backing for a "box" tier when the mystery decks turn out to just be the overruns of the previous decks but in a different tuck.

But that aside, when I prefer an artist, I'll pay a premium, and when I don't value the artist as being worth the premium, I pass. I love that Paul Carpenter, for example, is successfully staying in the game and charging a very high premium for his work. And I like his stuff. But, when he first starting going the subscription/patreon route, I decided that the price was too rich for my blood. YMMV with regard to any of these artists.

Whichever artists I do enjoy, I want them to make enough of a profit to stay in the biz. If they happen to charge at a price point I'm willing/able to pay, so much the better. But if they charge more than I can/will pay, I may be sad, but I won't be upset with them for testing what the market will bear.
This space intentionally left blank.
Honeybee
White Whale: Hardcover S17 Anthology

Unread post by Honeybee »

but I won't be upset with them for testing what the market will bear.
I like your post rouselle however I would make it a rhyme
"but it should be reasonably fair"

PS: At present our supermarkets are testing what the market will bear (food Inflation seems to be out of control in Oz)
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
JazzBaloo

Some can stay in business for far less. It's pretty simple for me to understand that some need more and some need less. Some are excessive and some are not. If he needs a lot then so be it, others can give and be happy to contribute so much. I do not want to rain on your expensive parade. All can choose their own happiness.
Adamthinks

JazzBaloo wrote: ↑Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:37 am Some can stay in business for far less. It's pretty simple for me to understand that some need more and some need less. Some are excessive and some are not. If he needs a lot then so be it, others can give and be happy to contribute so much. I do not want to rain on your expensive parade. All can choose their own happiness.
Dude, what?? The profit margins for custom playing cards are incredibly thin. Very very very few are making any money off this. The great majority do it as a side project and have a full time job also. TGW charges high prices for a number of his decks and still barely makes a profit. I think he's said he's barely above breaking even for Beetlebacks for example. There's like 5 guys in the entire custom cards industry who are making enough to support themselves with their card brand alone.
JazzBaloo

Adamthinks wrote: ↑Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:58 am
JazzBaloo wrote: ↑Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:37 am Some can stay in business for far less. It's pretty simple for me to understand that some need more and some need less. Some are excessive and some are not. If he needs a lot then so be it, others can give and be happy to contribute so much. I do not want to rain on your expensive parade. All can choose their own happiness.
Dude, what?? The profit margins for custom playing cards are incredibly thin. Very very very few are making any money off this. The great majority do it as a side project and have a full time job also. TGW charges high prices for a number of his decks and still barely makes a profit. I think he's said he's barely above breaking even for Beetlebacks for example. There's like 5 guys in the entire custom cards industry who are making enough to support themselves with their card brand alone.
Huh? Some margins are thin and some are not. If you believe tgw is barely breaking even on big campaigns that sell 60$ or 85$ decks then that's your perogative. It's not like people selling stuff would fudge the lines a bit to sell more stuff, would they? Hey aren't you the guy that packs decks for kwp along side Cramer?
TheGentlemanWake
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

JazzBaloo wrote: ↑Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:19 pm
Huh? Some margins are thin and some are not. If you believe tgw is barely breaking even on big campaigns that sell 60$ or 85$ decks then that's your perogative. It's not like people selling stuff would fudge the lines a bit to sell more stuff, would they? Hey aren't you the guy that packs decks for kwp along side Cramer?
Oh really? Wow... here I've been operating under the belief that I was barely scraping by! THANKS! On my way to the ferrari dealership... :|

In all reality, The Beetlebacks has only been marginally profitable and MOST Of those profits have been used up in the preparation for The Grave Witness and paying back the production costs of Goldsmith (which at the time of ordering has not raised enough to pay for itself). $100k raised...even if I didn't have to pay for production, fulfillment, stripe and kickstarter percentages, backerkit fees, design compensation and recoup pre-campaign costs it's not like 100k is enough to really live the 'good life'. People have a very skewed perspective of being a business owner.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
JazzBaloo

TheGentlemanWake wrote: ↑Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:39 pm
Oh really? Wow... here I've been operating under the belief that I was barely scraping by! THANKS! On my way to the ferrari dealership... :|

In all reality, The Beetlebacks has only been marginally profitable and MOST Of those profits have been used up in the preparation for The Grave Witness and paying back the production costs of Goldsmith (which at the time of ordering has not raised enough to pay for itself). $100k raised...even if I didn't have to pay for production, fulfillment, stripe and kickstarter percentages, backerkit fees, design compensation and recoup pre-campaign costs it's not like 100k is enough to really live the 'good life'. People have a very skewed perspective of being a business owner.
That is awesome if you can buy a Ferrari and if not, that is OK too.
Honeybee

Is JazzBaloo a bot? Reads like AI
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Honeybee wrote: ↑Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:48 pm Is JazzBaloo a bot? Reads like AI

English, everyone's first language, is not.
~
β˜… Wish list β˜…

Collection website (inc. trade list)
Photos (UC) / Website
Honeybee

Of course I realize this Tim, there is/was just something about the syntax. Sorry
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Honeybee wrote: ↑Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:52 pm Of course I realize this Tim, there is/was just something about the syntax. Sorry

No need to apologise; I was making a joke more than anything.
~
β˜… Wish list β˜…

Collection website (inc. trade list)
Photos (UC) / Website
Honeybee

I should have realized it was a joke as an Englishman would insist that everyone should be striving to master English ;)
Attachments
Italian.JPG
Italian.JPG (102.44 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Except in this case it's not "belief" it's that the person themselves has said they are barely scraping by. The price of a single version of a deck does not equate to whether a campaign is profitable or not and it has been demonstrated many many times that playing cards are a very hard way to make any sort of profit.
JazzBaloo

Strag wrote: ↑Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:59 am Except in this case it's not "belief" it's that the person themselves has said they are barely scraping by. The price of a single version of a deck does not equate to whether a campaign is profitable or not and it has been demonstrated many many times that playing cards are a very hard way to make any sort of profit.
Of course there is little to no profit. They do it for fun.
Adamthinks

JazzBaloo wrote: ↑Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:42 am
Strag wrote: ↑Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:59 am Except in this case it's not "belief" it's that the person themselves has said they are barely scraping by. The price of a single version of a deck does not equate to whether a campaign is profitable or not and it has been demonstrated many many times that playing cards are a very hard way to make any sort of profit.
Of course there is little to no profit. They do it for fun.
So are you just trolling now?