The Groundskeeper by Wyrmwood (Produced by the Gentleman Wake, ill. Dan Greta)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
PiazzaDelivery

Re: The Groundskeeper by Wyrmwood (Produced by the Gentleman Wake, ill. Dan Greta)

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

Should I be worried if my profile has read "Completed" for over 2 weeks and I've yet to receive tracking or the package itself?
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Re: The Groundskeeper by Wyrmwood (Produced by the Gentleman Wake, ill. Dan Greta)

Unread post by rousselle »

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered several times already, but I'm lazy as well as forgetful. Will these decks be available after fulfillment is actually completed?
This space intentionally left blank.
Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

Limited quantities only on TGW's website
JazzBaloo

Unread post by JazzBaloo »

Disenchanted_11 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:22 am Limited quantities only on TGW's website
why wouldn't WW sell some on their website?
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

JazzBaloo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:39 am
Disenchanted_11 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:22 am Limited quantities only on TGW's website
why wouldn't WW sell some on their website?
Im 99% sure they will and equally not sure why they have been quoted as being unsure about that.
Disenchanted_11

Evilgamer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:21 am Im 99% sure they will and equally not sure why they have been quoted as being unsure about that.
I believe they removed the ability to order them to the point that even backers who did not confirm thier orders will be left with non-expiry credits?
Evilgamer

Disenchanted_11 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:08 am
Evilgamer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:21 am Im 99% sure they will and equally not sure why they have been quoted as being unsure about that.
I believe they removed the ability to order them to the point that even backers who did not confirm thier orders will be left with non-expiry credits?
You had to complete the order on their regular web site, if you cant order it from there you cant order it from anywhere and just have a credit with them.

They dont use backer kit or a third party any more to complete campaigns.
Disenchanted_11

Evilgamer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:05 am
Disenchanted_11 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:08 am
You had to complete the order on their regular web site, if you cant order it from there you cant order it from anywhere and just have a credit with them.

They dont use backer kit or a third party any more to complete campaigns.
Yeah I'm a backer too. I'm just saying they removed the ability to order Groundskeeper on their website.
Evilgamer

Weird slight update, they really are leaning into the limited stock. They said they would fix my missing prismatic deck but absolutely want the cobalt (blue) base deck back to...I dunno....it's opened just to make sure I wasn't going crazy...offer I guess in worse case since at this point it's a perfectly undamaged deck minus cellophane (I dont even cut seals unless I have to and these peel cleanly)

And the punchline for everyone who was making comments about their shipping materials they asked for and will receive it back in the same padded envelope.
Evilgamer

So final update for this. They finally shipped the prismatic deck (after getting the blue one back and seeing it hadn’t shipped)

Overall this is a pretty great deck of cards I know between the wyrmwoodness of the whole thing and the shipping debacle it’s gotten a bit of a bad rep but the cards are solid.

I do wish the prismatic was more prismatic and Less just a silver version of the deck

Tucks. There is an out and inner. The prismatic seal isnt great.
IMG_6598.jpeg
Backs and foiling
IMG_6599.jpeg
IMG_6600.jpeg
Cards

IMG_6601.jpeg
IMG_6602.jpeg
PiazzaDelivery

Just got mine, I'm sure I read it elsewhere but the seals are the cheapest I've seen in a long time. Cheapens an otherwise luxurious design. Otherwise the deck is solid, although the feel of the cards is... weird? Tuck is awesome, mostly as advertised, 8/10 final score.
Evilgamer

PiazzaDelivery wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:49 pm Just got mine, I'm sure I read it elsewhere but the seals are the cheapest I've seen in a long time. Cheapens an otherwise luxurious design. Otherwise the deck is solid, although the feel of the cards is... weird? Tuck is awesome, mostly as advertised, 8/10 final score.
The normal seals are fine, though my definition of "fine" is "peels off easily and doesnt damage the tuck" you can see where it ended up on the red deck.

The one on the prismatic deck...for once I think WJPC might have sold them something that they couldn't really make well, it looked like they went for a prismatic sticker but it just ended up being a piece of plastic with some ink under it. Its basically ruined that tuck, I may just swap it for the one in the red box.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

I will be releasing a limited stock of Red, Blue, Green Groundskeeper on TheGentlemanWake.com very soon. Probably by Wednesday for anyone who missed it or want a few more.

Also regarding Seals, Dan Gretta designed awesome seals and FOR SOME REASON wyrmwood just forgot. I was off the project by this point so I didn't catch it.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
NIAVLYSYUG
White Whale: Sanctus from Lotrek
Decks Owned: 33

Unread post by NIAVLYSYUG »

I'm interested to buy a Green Groundskeeper! Because I missed the possibility to buy one when it was promoted...
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

https://www.thegentlemanwake.com/shop

Groundskeeper decks available on the website now. Thanks!

antifaro
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by antifaro »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:44 pm I will be releasing a limited stock of Red, Blue, Green Groundskeeper on TheGentlemanWake.com very soon. Probably by Wednesday for anyone who missed it or want a few more.

Also regarding Seals, Dan Gretta designed awesome seals and FOR SOME REASON wyrmwood just forgot. I was off the project by this point so I didn't catch it.
I'm a little curious - if you're the producer of these, how can you be off of your own project to not notice this oversight? Were things not fully finalized with finished samples before going into full production? I have a hard time understanding how the creator and producer can be off of their own project and ship a final product blindly like that. For the price, it's a little concerning that not every step is crucially looked over and proofed before giving the green light. For $21 on the website it's also a little underwhelming to have monochromatic backs on the standard edition compared to the box, when in past reviews this was a main critique of yours for other brands.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

antifaro wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:09 pm
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:44 pm I will be releasing a limited stock of Red, Blue, Green Groundskeeper on TheGentlemanWake.com very soon. Probably by Wednesday for anyone who missed it or want a few more.

I'm a little curious - if you're the producer of these, how can you be off of your own project to not notice this oversight? Were things not fully finalized with finished samples before going into full production? I have a hard time understanding how the creator and producer can be off of their own project and ship a final product blindly like that. For the price, it's a little concerning that not every step is crucially looked over and proofed before giving the green light. For $21 on the website it's also a little underwhelming to have monochromatic backs on the standard edition compared to the box, when in past reviews this was a main critique of yours for other brands.
He didn't handle "production" for this deck, Wyrmwood did, which is pretty darn abundantly clear all over the kickstarter page and this thread. Not sure how you missed that. He directed the artist, set up contacts between the printers, etc. Wyrmwood is doing everything else (orders, samples, proofing, shipping, etc.)
Disenchanted_11

TGW left the project oversight (design) when they switched printers.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

antifaro wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:09 pm

The simple answer is that I was paid to perform a task. That included finding an artist that fit the project, offering guidance, creative direction and feedback to said artist, connecting wyrmwood to my stable of suppliers and vendors (I was also responsible for connecting Wyrmwood with WJPC), and passing off the product to Wyrmwood's internal management once the KS campaign had ended. I did my job, and personally, not to toot my own horn too much, I think I did it well. I thought of the seal. Enough to have Dan Gretta design one. When I turned over the finished artwork to wyrmwood I made sure all elements were clearly labeled and easy to understand. Wyrmwood is a big company with VERY compartmentalized processes. SO where as I'm very used to handling all aspect of deck production myself on my projects this was NOT the case at wyrmwood where different individuals handle different things. ONe guy does sourcing, another does marketing, another does logistics, another does fulfillment, etc. I suspect what happened is that somewhere along the chain the 'inventory' of what Wyrmwood had was lost. WJPC likely asked wyrmwood what they wanted for a seal and whoever was on the receiving end of the question simply forgot or didn't know that a seal had been designed. Likely they passed on the request to the art dept (yet another cog) and the seals ended up the way they did. I suspect the thought of reaching out to Dan to create the seal seemed extraneous to Wyrmwood--who have a tendancy to just 'get things done' sometimes. And if they HAD asked me I would've had reminded them of the seal. BUT they didn't. Again, Wyrmwood defers to making decisions in house rather than seeking outside assistance. I reached out to Wyrmwood to remind them of the Seal dan had created once I saw the first one, but as you can imagine it was too late.

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Here are some images of what the Seals would've looked like. Seeing as how The Gentleman Wake doesn't appear on the Groundskeeper box anywhere you can see how this was especially annoying to me to discover. Aside from the fact that I like bottom seals, that don't interfere or damage the tuck for opening.

NOTE that at the time of creation Cartamundi was still the printer.
Attachments
sticker.jpg

Evilgamer

those are nice seals, bottom seals I imagine.
laitostarr777
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:57 am Here are some images of what the Seals would've looked like. Seeing as how The Gentleman Wake doesn't appear on the Groundskeeper box anywhere you can see how this was especially annoying to me to discover. Aside from the fact that I like bottom seals, that don't interfere or damage the tuck for opening.

NOTE that at the time of creation Cartamundi was still the printer.
Daaang, these would be great addition for the decks.. too bad Wyrmwood didn’t approve
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
PiazzaDelivery

Yeah... This is leagues beyond what ended up on the decks. Would've elevated things as much as a seal can.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Thanks for sharing what went on behind the scenes. Real shame those seals didn't get made and got lost in the process. (not to mention your part in the deck being completely left out) That would have been so classy to go with the deck.