Congress 666 Multi Playing Cards (c. 1904)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Congress 666 Multi Playing Cards (c. 1904)

Unread post by hsbc »

Kevan Seaney (The Congress Guy) wrote: The 666 "multi" deck - The Original "Frankendeck"

In 1904, The United States Playing Card Company's Congress line of cards created a unique deck featuring 53 cards of different back designs available during that time. They used a new stock number, 666, and named it "Multi". These decks were produced through the mid-1910s and they are one of (if not) the most elusive and desirable of the Congress brand.

It’s kind of like a promotional deck. Any Congress decks used for advertising purposes during this time are very hard to come by, because these were the most expensive decks made by USPCC. There are probably less than 15-20 still in existence. This is (most likely) the first version that was released (1899-1904). They made them sporadically into the early 1910s.

This is what’s written in the Hochman encyclopedia:

US6n #666 MULTI PLAYING CARDS (not pictured) USPC - RM Fact., c1904. A very unusual and rare Congress deck consisting of 53 different Congress backs. These decks, which were produced for only a relatively short time, were designed to provide potential customers with samples of Congress quality cards and for use in playing Solitaire. The Ace of Spades that comes with this deck is US6g (my deck has a 6e)
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: Congress 666 Multi Playing Cards (c. 1904)

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I'd wish e.g. fontaine would do that, lol. So I can have one deck of them instead of ~20. Would save a lot of space.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
The Congress Guy

Unread post by The Congress Guy »

This deck is an original. When looking at the gold edges the wear is consistent and not indicative of a “pieced together” deck, which theoretically could increase the value of the deck. This was verified by Judy Dawson herself (in-person), as well as two other antique collectors familiar with the deck.
DeepCard

Unread post by DeepCard »

sometimes, old decks make me feel comfort