KWP Maduro 2024

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Evilgamer
Collector: Yes

KWP Maduro 2024

Unread post by Evilgamer »

hsbc
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: KWP Maduro 2024

Unread post by hsbc »

[Original Maduro UC thread]
Evilgamer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm I believe Jackson said next week
This Friday, February 23
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Whomever it said wrote:History doesn't repeat itself but it often rhymes.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

I'm a little baffled at this. They are identical to the previous iteration, except for the date. Him canceling the subscriptions to focus on kickstarters only was supposed to give him more time to develop better decks that are more fully fleshed out. I believe he said he was going to do 4 or 5 KS's in 2024. Doing reprints as one of the kickstarter releases seems odd. Having said that, I have been wanting a gilded version of the gold deck and they sold out crazy fast on his website the last time they went up, so I might go in for one of those.
Harvonsgard

Nothing odd if it brings money. Reprinting old decks from when KWP was less know is like anthologies or best of albums from artists/bands.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Adamthinks wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:34 pm I'm a little baffled at this. They are identical to the previous iteration, except for the date. ... Having said that, I have been wanting a gilded version of the gold deck and they sold out crazy fast on his website the last time they went up, so I might go in for one of those.
I think you answered your own question :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Adamthinks

hsbc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:39 pm
Adamthinks wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:34 pm I'm a little baffled at this. They are identical to the previous iteration, except for the date. ... Having said that, I have been wanting a gilded version of the gold deck and they sold out crazy fast on his website the last time they went up, so I might go in for one of those.
I think you answered your own question :D
I was just hoping these KS projects were new decks that really showed of what he's capable of. That's what I was excited for when he cancelled the subscriptions.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

From KWP's IG post (Wed 14/2), the Maduro's will be foiled as well. (unless he changed his mind or made an error)

So it should be similar to how JR updated most, if not all, of his early decks to include foiling. That should make it not a reprint, but a V2 edition.
Adamthinks

Eric Lee wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:40 pm From KWP's IG post (Wed 14/2), the Maduro's will be foiled as well. (unless he changed his mind or made an error)

So it should be similar to how JR updated most, if not all, of his early decks to include foiling. That should make it not a reprint, but a V2 edition.
Thanks Eric, that does make me a bit more excited for these. Though I still want to see more from Jackson, as he's shown repeatedly he can deliver some pretty outstanding decks.
laitostarr777
Magician: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

Somehow I feel these screams "money grab" for some reason - it's an old designed deck, made bling bling blong for a reason to flex on KWP's ability on foiled decks. These do goods for those who missed the OGs, but somewhat bitter to those owned the OGs (ugh.... have to bring my inner completionist)

Perhaps I can shut up about this practice if he EVER brings back Nutcracker decks - he reprinted so many old decks and have them foiled, so why not Nutcracker had that chance. I am sure he can do it, then why wouldn't he?
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I am fine with it. However, as I have a lot of the first edition, this one doesn't get me excited personally. I do like the deck and think that it is a great collector deck.

Jackson said that he wanted to put some of the ideas gained in the years of doing the Subscription decks into new things. I am sure there is more to come and hopefully not reprints. Jackson has such skill and creativity, I am sure he will get my interest in an upcoming project soon enough.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

If these are foiled, I'm in.
Evilgamer

vasta41 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:15 am If these are foiled, I'm in.

from the KS preview linked on Discord
Introducing the highly anticipated expansion of the Maduro Playing Cards family: the 2024 Silver Maduro and 2024 Gold Maduro decks. Building upon the success of our original collection, these new editions boast updated artwork and intricate foiling elements meticulously incorporated onto both the backs and faces of the cards. Designed to captivate enthusiasts and collectors alike, each deck exudes sophistication and style, setting a new standard in playing card craftsmanship.
downside of not waiting for samples before doing the KS, this doesnt come through in any of the pictures on the campaign.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

JR's live Q&A session last week had some interesting notes. Just found this yesterday. Confirms Maduros are fully foiled on both front and backs. (min 7 onwards). You can read the transcript for the main points.

Planned:

After LotR: RotK, he'll be bringing out the Hobbit deck in Sept.
July 4th is JR's take on the US Currency as if they had asked him to revamp the currency design.
Also confirms he's thinking about a Tarot deck based on the Athurian design but no firm date.
Planning on using UV inks for the Labyrinth v2 where the UV ink reveals the solution. Maybe incorporating the UV ink on the Legal tender as well.

laitostarr777

The Hobbit better have Smaug, or I smite Jackson XD hahaha
revamp US Currency deck = Legal Tender V4, and then V5, V6, V7...

Ooooh Labyrinth V2, this is my chance to get this thematic deck
Adamthinks

Eric Lee wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:44 pm JR's live Q&A session last week had some interesting notes. Just found this yesterday. Confirms Maduros are fully foiled on both front and backs. (min 7 onwards). You can read the transcript for the main points.

Planned:

After LotR: RotK, he'll be bringing out the Hobbit deck in Sept.
July 4th is JR's take on the US Currency as if they had asked him to revamp the currency design.
Also confirms he's thinking about a Tarot deck based on the Athurian design but no firm date.
Planning on using UV inks for the Labyrinth v2 where the UV ink reveals the solution. Maybe incorporating the UV ink on the Legal tender as well.
All of that sounds awesome. Thanks for the update. I love his currency decks, they're among my favorites. Really looking forward to his take. As is Arthurian, so a tarot deck based on it would be amazing.
NIAVLYSYUG
White Whale: Sanctus from Lotrek
Decks Owned: 24

Unread post by NIAVLYSYUG »

Will it be a tarot deck (to play) or a tarot (divinatory). There are hundreds of divinatory tarot cards, but there are few tarot games (to play). These tarot games to play are very sought after in France and French-speaking countries. The popularity of the game is significant in France, for example their national tournament welcomes nearly 6,000 participants! In addition, there are hundreds of thousands of recreational players in France alone.

I will be a buyer for a tarot deck (to play) but not divination.
Harvonsgard

NIAVLYSYUG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:05 pmThere are hundreds of divinatory tarot cards, but there are few tarot games (to play).
I'm not quite sure what you mean. If it's not playable, it's not a tarot deck. I know that the market is mostly decks for divination but if they feature the full 78 cards they're playable imho.

TashaPilgrim

Unread post by TashaPilgrim »

laitostarr777 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:52 am Perhaps I can shut up about this practice if he EVER brings back Nutcracker decks - he reprinted so many old decks and have them foiled, so why not Nutcracker had that chance. I am sure he can do it, then why wouldn't he?
Oh gosh totally agree. Still a very pricey deck to purchase second hand, with tons of interested buyers. As someone who loves Christmas decks, the tuck on Nutcracker Limited... *chefs kiss*. If he is going to remake something I'd love to see these beyond any others. Not more pi decks etc.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

laitostarr777 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:52 am Perhaps I can shut up about this practice if he EVER brings back Nutcracker decks - he reprinted so many old decks and have them foiled, so why not Nutcracker had that chance. I am sure he can do it, then why wouldn't he?
Isn't that one already foiled though?
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Evilgamer

TashaPilgrim wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:47 pm
Oh gosh totally agree. Still a very pricey deck to purchase second hand, with tons of interested buyers. As someone who loves Christmas decks, the tuck on Nutcracker Limited... *chefs kiss*. If he is going to remake something I'd love to see these beyond any others. Not more pi decks etc.

I don't think we're going to see more PI decks this year. He has committed to finishing it...because it is a set but they just don't sell that well and Im pretty sure he said they were going to wait on them for awhile.
laitostarr777

kevork wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:43 pm
Isn't that one already foiled though?
Yeah, though he can make a V2 with his new foiling tech - that can be possible?
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

KWP Discord wrote:the gilded decks in the gilded bricks will come with a foil tear strip in order to differentiate them with the standard
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J