AbstrArt by Hòa Phan

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
kevork
Collector: Yes
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

AbstrArt by Hòa Phan

Unread post by kevork »

I don't back anything from this creator anymore but to each their own.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
manu

Re: AbstrArt by Hoa Phan

Unread post by manu »

This is obviously using AI-generated art, but it is not disclosed in the campaign description.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Designwise quite nice in regards to the courts. Back and tuck are less to my liking. The back is cool but being a dominant diamond I took it for the AoD at first glance. Tuck doesn't do much for me at all. With all the controversity sourrounding Hoa Phan, definitely a deck that - if I would pick it up at all - I would stay away until it pops up on reliable secondary seller sites.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

i like this deck. courts backs and tuck. i do find it odd to see playing arts on the front and back of the tuck. the producers of several art decks. in the campaign it doesnt mention them. could be totally unrelated but odd. tuck description says black and gold foils. not sure i really see much gold and black foil, imo, is a waste as one may as well just use ink. it is not metallic at all.

as harv mentions valid concerns, probably a pass.

also, i have a general dislike for weird, nonsense names like abstrart.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

However, you can learn about his artworks through his Facebook and please do not bother him about issues related to this playing cards project.
Attachments
Ks campaign.png
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I like this a lot. The AoS gets my vote for ace of the year, no question. And I usually hate one-sided courts but for some reason I don't mind them here. Dare I say they work?
My only reservation is the printer, TPPC. Does anyone know anything about that printer?
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

vasta41 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:03 pm I like this a lot. The AoS gets my vote for ace of the year, no question. And I usually hate one-sided courts but for some reason I don't mind them here. Dare I say they work?
My only reservation is the printer, TPPC. Does anyone know anything about that printer?
TPPC isn't the printer, it's just the name of the company doing the kickstarter. Lately they've been using WJPC, though they didn't specify on this project.

"We are TPPC, a team of playing cards passion. My name is Thành Phan, a full-time playing cards designer based in Saigon, Vietnam, and also the one who managed the whole process of the project.
Hoa Phan - the project creator - is my friend and just helps the team with the project created.
This time we introduce our new member, artist Nhựt, a truly passionate artist, also a Thành Phan's classmate when they were both at college. We are excited to have him on our team and his first-time "support" in this project."
VillainousIndustries
White Whale: The Ultimate Deck Uncut sheet
Decks Owned: 12

Unread post by VillainousIndustries »

Last I checked no one has recieved the last 2 decks he put up, yet.

Didn't this guy get in trouble for using the funds from New kickstarters to fund the fulfillment of previous kickstarters?

I'm confused as to how this guy isn't shunned yet.

Vector art taken straight from vecteezy, and 10000% AI art with 0 editing or Alterations.

Feels like this artist 'friend' is slapped on here to make it seem more legitimate. But then why use unedited AI if you have an artist?

It screams sketchy as smurf to me, personally.

But after his huge copyright and art stealing fiasco (not once but I think twice) I have written this guy and TPPC off as scammers.

To each their own, obviously.
- Inhibit Heroem, Ludere Malificum -
Playing Card Designer
-----------------------
Kickstarter Decks:
2023 - SPIRITS I: The Ethereal Plane (Funded) Kickstarter Exclusive
2024 - Angelorum (Purus + Celestia)
TBA - RITUAL, SPIRITS II: The Cursed
-----------------------
Patreon Exclusive Decks:
2023 - GRAFF (Sept-Nov)
2024 - Aphrodite (Dec-Feb), BIRDSxBEES (Mar-May)
------------------------
Grandmaster of the League of Villains
Instagram
Patreon
If there's one thing you should learn about me, don't ever f***ing doubt me.
Swiski66
White Whale: Playing Arts Special Edition

Unread post by Swiski66 »

This is why I don't get involved in ANY Kickstarters for playing cards anymore. Either BS like this happens, or long delays with Cartamundi or other playing card manufacturers. I'll just ride the storm and wait until the decks are produced and shipping, then pick them up from an online playing card store. I don't personally need the limited decks offered during the Kickstarter. The standard deck is fine.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I too will be waiting for these to pop up on Penguin, if at all.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

PlayTheVillain wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:27 am Last I checked no one has recieved the last 2 decks he put up, yet.
Spooky Pumpkins did get delivered, so I did want to put that out there.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are casual collectors who aren't so tethered to the community and aware of these shenanigans. That ignorance can be exploited and has been.

Yes, he uses campaign funds to pay for the previous campaign prior to fulfillment.

Yes, he has stolen art. The joker for Botanical is stolen but he never got caught for it. There's Joker in his Tattoo deck that could be copyright infringement too. He got busted for Royal Warriors and continues to "resell" vector art and in this case, AI art.

I flagged one of his campaigns he ran that were for boxes. He already had the product and was selling it on his website, blatantly using KS as a storefront.

He responded to a Facebook post stating "No AI art on this deck and artist Nhựt supports in colors, shapes and of course, this is digital artwork not the painting from the artist. Thank you" I'm still not convinced. Could be a loss in translation, but the comment shows very limited understanding of art.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
VillainousIndustries

kevork wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:10 pm
PlayTheVillain wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:27 am Last I checked no one has recieved the last 2 decks he put up, yet.
Spooky Pumpkins did get delivered, so I did want to put that out there.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are casual collectors who aren't so tethered to the community and aware of these shenanigans. That ignorance can be exploited and has been.

Yes, he uses campaign funds to pay for the previous campaign prior to fulfillment.

Yes, he has stolen art. The joker for Botanical is stolen but he never got caught for it. There's Joker in his Tattoo deck that could be copyright infringement too. He got busted for Royal Warriors and continues to "resell" vector art and in this case, AI art.

I flagged one of his campaigns he ran that were for boxes. He already had the product and was selling it on his website, blatantly using KS as a storefront.

He responded to a Facebook post stating "No AI art on this deck and artist Nhựt supports in colors, shapes and of course, this is digital artwork not the painting from the artist. Thank you" I'm still not convinced. Could be a loss in translation, but the comment shows very limited understanding of art.
Checking out their 'new artist' his work looks nothing like what any of this deck is.

They have NO F***ING CLUE ABOUT ART. Otherwise this wouldnt be called Abstrart. This isnt f***ing abstract art. This is surrealism, and pointism, and cubism, and basic portraits. if it were abstract, we wouldnt see any faces.

Im pissed. As a creator who has had to WORK to get people to take a chance on me, and then STILL cant release another Kickstarter or even promote my next ones openly until SPIRITS is fulfilled, but these people can just throw some prompts into midjourney and throw it on a template, then sell a literal cardboard box with some dollar-store shit glued onto them, and no one notices? Literally, hsbc, right here, said that the AoS is their vote for Ace of the YEAR! ITS A FULLY AI GENERATED IMAGE.

I might just up and quit making playing cards if this is the way this industry is going, I swear. Whats the point in putting in all this effort when I can just sh*t on a stack of paper and get funded.

Im fuming.
Playing Card Designer
-----------------------
Kickstarter Decks:
-----------------------
Patreon Exclusive Decks:
2023 - GRAFF (Sept-Nov)
------------------------
Instagram
Patreon
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

Nearly all of this guys projects have gotten called out on this forum at least. I am surprised they continue to get funded though. I had backed his first two projects but not since and won't in the future. Too many issues and untruths. Like this one is very clearly completely AI, and him calling out a specific artist is entirely meant to mislead about that. It was cleaned up and formatted for cards, but pretty lazy work outside of that. And my issue with AI stuff in decks is entirely related to the quality of the art itself.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

PlayTheVillain wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm Literally, hsbc, right here, said that the AoS is their vote for Ace of the YEAR!
Just a quick note to say that wasn't me
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

shaggy
Attachments
shaggy.gif
shaggy.gif (521.57 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

hsbc wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:37 pm
PlayTheVillain wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm Literally, hsbc, right here, said that the AoS is their vote for Ace of the YEAR!
Yeah, hsbc. Seriously!
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

PlayTheVillain wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm

Checking out their 'new artist' his work looks nothing like what any of this deck is.

They have NO F***ING CLUE ABOUT ART. Otherwise this wouldnt be called Abstrart. This isnt f***ing abstract art. This is surrealism, and pointism, and cubism, and basic portraits. if it were abstract, we wouldnt see any faces.

Im pissed. As a creator who has had to WORK to get people to take a chance on me, and then STILL cant release another Kickstarter or even promote my next ones openly until SPIRITS is fulfilled, but these people can just throw some prompts into midjourney and throw it on a template, then sell a literal cardboard box with some dollar-store shit glued onto them, and no one notices? Literally, hsbc, right here, said that the AoS is their vote for Ace of the YEAR! ITS A FULLY AI GENERATED IMAGE.

I might just up and quit making playing cards if this is the way this industry is going, I swear. Whats the point in putting in all this effort when I can just sh*t on a stack of paper and get funded.

Im fuming.
Well for one, hes made $5k on this campaign so far, hardly earth shattering and questionably even going to make his fairly low funding goal.
You made what $50k your first time out.

two, you have all of the SPIRITS campaign sitting in boxes in your house right now...this is a solvable problem (and one I know you have a plan for) :)

keep in mind most of us arent artists, we cant see the quality of art or even its likely source the way you can. AKA we're stupid and get duped by lazy artists or AI.

(no Im not going to back this)
VillainousIndustries

hsbc wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:37 pm
Whoops. In my rage I did not pay attention. Lol my bad, fam.
Playing Card Designer
-----------------------
Kickstarter Decks:
-----------------------
Patreon Exclusive Decks:
2023 - GRAFF (Sept-Nov)
------------------------
Instagram
Patreon
Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

Most people don't give 10 cents about the artist, AI or not.
Most people just want to buy the product they like, with the intention of owning that cool piece of product.

I have an admiration at what AI can do these days, but I have my reservation in saying that most of it are unnecessary exercise of what developers can achieve. We don't need arts and music made by AI, but AI with computational speed and power beyond human capabilities are very useful to have; and these AI art generators are just a byproduct of that.

Backers back these projects on their own freewill so let's at least not hold it against them supporting/admiring these kinds of arts.

Like the wise Kevork said,
kevork wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:28 am to each their own.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Evilgamer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:11 pm keep in mind most of us arent artists, we cant see the quality of art or even its likely source the way you can. AKA we're stupid and get duped by lazy artists or AI.
You don't need to be an artist to understand art or see the quality of art. Just saying.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

Harvonsgard wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:12 pm
Evilgamer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:11 pm keep in mind most of us arent artists, we cant see the quality of art or even its likely source the way you can. AKA we're stupid and get duped by lazy artists or AI.
You don't need to be an artist to understand art or see the quality of art. Just saying.
I dunno, art is pretty subjective. Different people react to very different things.

Honestly some of the cards are in a direction I like but they just lack that last 10% towards being worth the money.

I couldn't tell you what the "style" of a given piece is at all, just whether or not I think its interesting or not.

There have certainly been decks posted here that people fawned over that I thought were absolute garbage tier art. And ones I thought were good that not a lot of people liked.
CCwonder

Unread post by CCwonder »

PlayTheVillain wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:17 am Whoops. In my rage I did not pay attention. Lol my bad, fam.
When will shipping begin for Spirits?
VillainousIndustries

CCwonder wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:31 pm When will shipping begin for Spirits?
This month. Its already in progress. like ive said. in 2 different updates on kickstarter.
This is not the f***ing place.
Playing Card Designer
-----------------------
Kickstarter Decks:
-----------------------
Patreon Exclusive Decks:
2023 - GRAFF (Sept-Nov)
------------------------
Instagram
Patreon
CCwonder

PlayTheVillain wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:11 pm This month. Its already in progress. like ive said. in 2 different updates on kickstarter.
This is not thing f***ing place.
I apologize, my bad. I wasn't sure. Why are you so angry?
VillainousIndustries

CCwonder wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:17 pm
PlayTheVillain wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:11 pm This month. Its already in progress. like ive said. in 2 different updates on kickstarter.
This is not thing f***ing place.
I apologize, my bad. I wasn't sure. Why are you so angry?
I'm not angry. Villain is in the name. Swearing and being Blunt is my brand lol.

Please never think I'm angry unless I outright say it. It's just the character.
Playing Card Designer
-----------------------
Kickstarter Decks:
-----------------------
Patreon Exclusive Decks:
2023 - GRAFF (Sept-Nov)
------------------------
Instagram
Patreon
laitostarr777
Magician: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

Adamthinks wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:50 pm Nearly all of this guys projects have gotten called out on this forum at least. I am surprised they continue to get funded though.
Because once you have a follower base, these people will back their projects, no questions asked. If there are any red flags, they willing to turn a blind eye on them and become white knights all of a sudden

Remember how Fontaine goes, so goes with the brand owned by the most entitled OG designer who unbelievably still piggybacking on the Buck Twins
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

laitostarr777 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:12 am so goes with the brand owned by the most entitled OG designer who unbelievably still piggybacking
Just confirming that you are referring to Lotrek, right?
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Disenchanted_11 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:08 am
laitostarr777 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:12 am so goes with the brand owned by the most entitled OG designer who unbelievably still piggybacking
He's talking about Brad Fulton and being sarcastic when referring to him as the OG designer.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
CCwonder

kevork wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:19 am
He's talking about Brad Fulton and being sarcastic when referring to him as the OG designer.
why is Fulton entitled?
laitostarr777
Magician: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

CCwonder wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:50 pm
kevork wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:19 am
why is Fulton entitled?
I can list a LOT of things of the reasons why I called him “entitled”:
One of it being; just because he still piggybacking on the Buck Twins, he can do whatever BSes he wants and gets away with it.
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777