Limbo by Seasons Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Honeybee
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Hardcover S17 Anthology
Decks Owned: 200

Re: Limbo by Seasons Playing Cards

Unread post by Honeybee »

99% gimmick :roll:
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

not sure i would even chalk these up to gimmick. just a bad design/idea that didnt work out, but people bought on the creators reputation. a reputation that is rather tarnished now.
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

Everything about the deck was said back in 2022. Those who purchased knew what they were getting. The deck imho does what it said it would do. I don't understand the recent disgust for the deck?
hsbc wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:20 pm $65 each
LIMBO was designed to create an unexpected loss of autonomy for the holder and was through this lens that the project was created. This deck is the first piece from a personal series designed to help process a certain period of life.⁠

To facilitate this design, the goal was to remove points of definition to unground the art and create a sense of fog throughout. To achieve this effect nearly all of the project was created with photography and custom filters rather than digital manipulation. ⁠

Limbo revolves around two different states and one’s inability to transverse either. The focus then was not about the cards and what they held, but the voided value from the nothingness between. This concept is more prevalent once fanned, showing state 1 fanned one direction, and state 2 fanned the other direction. But as a user, we do not get this privilege to see the images in full and are forced to be stuck trapped between states. ⁠

This attention on the void between is applied through the whole deck and while still playable, forces a sense of frustration and desire for change. The courts are photographed and overlaid to visualize this trapped feeling. The Jokers mock the concept by being the only cards that would work with the Limbo Layout but are placed in normal format. ⁠

The only space where Limbo is broken is on the back design where the typography breaks through the fog. It is an inching indication that change might be possible, providing a glimpse of optimism if one looks hard enough. ⁠

The goal for making this deck was to gain peace with a resisting situation. The goal for eventually deciding to offer this deck to the public was to see if it might resonate with those of similar situation and let them know this isn’t forever.

Limbo is represented across the tucks in flux with drifting typography in a space that changes the format and design of each tuck with it. ⁠ Each tuck variation is individually numbered out of 52. All 260 decks are the Limbo design. The deck will be under 1 sku. ⁠

The quantity was a small batch because I wasn't sure how acceptable the topic would be received given that it is not in the comfortable wheelhouse of the norm. This said, if people are okay with it, I may dust off the others in the series next year and test out a time based model for people (with a longer lead time) if that is a compromise that works. ⁠

Available Sunday 12pm CDT. Ships late November.

bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

Not sure you have any idea what you're talking about. Comparing them to bad registration on uspcc, people buying because of the creators reputation? Like what bro? These are intended to be different. How is this anything close to similar to uspcc registration issues. These cards were shown on the item page https://www.seasonsplayingcards.com/products/limbo-deck and people knew what they would look like. This has nothing to do with buying them because of his reputation. Your comments are really blowing my mind rn. For what it's worth, I really like these. Definitely different and not for everyone, but your comments are just ignorant

Edit: ty shkorc. I was typing this up before I saw you comment which was directed to the person you replied to
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
STLBluesNut

yes people knew beforehand they were getting a bad design and still bought them. i, and others, can still say that they are a bad design. i compared them to registration issues because that make cards off center. these, by design, looks like the cutting die was 50%off center and cut the faces in half. you're being a bit hostile there don't you think. you might think my comments were ignorant but [edited]
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I am going to give people a moment to reconsider the current liberation of directed anger and to suck it back in before I have to determine what to do about it.

Talk cards, avoid personal attacks and generally leave me to my day job if you please.

Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

but people bought on the creators reputation
yes people knew beforehand they were getting a bad design and still bought them
You're literally arguing with yourself right now.

You can say they're a bad design sure, but comparing it to a registration issue is just foolish. Do you look at gaff cards and say they look like they have registration issues too? I'm just trying to correct your ignorant comments here. Being ignorant is pretty on brand for you though.
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
GandalfPC

And to be fair, since I edited one, and wish quick end to this, that both of you have managed to call each other ignorant, and each has managed to state that it is on brand for the other.

I could have just edited bdawgs comment as well, but I figured both of you might appreciate more being allowed to squeeze that insult in first, and that such an edit would simply cause me need to revisit the thread to discuss editing.

All that being said - enough is enough - civilize it up.

STLBluesNut

np, [edited] now blocked
Honeybee

shkorc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:52 am Everything about the deck was said back in 2022. Those who purchased knew what they were getting. The deck imho does what it said it would do. I don't understand the recent disgust for the deck?
I am not sure where you are getting 'disgust' from? The deck is now out there and people are expressing opinions of it on a forum :ugthink:
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

I'm not a native speaker lol, so disgust might have been a bit to strong :ugthink:

My point was, everything about the deck has been known for two years now, it's been critiqued back then. I was confused about people wanting to bash on it again now, even if they didn't purchase it.
Honeybee

There you go again with BASH
I was not a collector on this forum until 6 months ago
I expressed an opinion that it seemed like a gimmick to me
laitostarr777
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

At least in LIMBO’s defense, this concept hasn’t been taken by any hype cardistry brands, where they can do much “lazy” worse than this

I see this LIMBO deck as a very experimental artworks: fans like a full bleed deck, yet different. Although since its fulfilment is very late… well… hope Alex can recover from these backlashes
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

It was clear what it was before people bought it. Glad I didn't like what I saw and didn't get it, regardless of how long it took.

Taking a chance isn't a bad thing and certainly the more chances you take the less likely it's going to be "popular".
balrog326

Unread post by balrog326 »

I wonder if anyone knows how many of each deck was ordered for the redux edition. While the V1 is 52 of each design I was curious the numbers on the 24 hour pre order. Im curious to see which was the most & least ordered of the designs.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Indeed interesting but seeing how (not) communicative Alex is recently, I wish you all the best for getting that info.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
GandalfPC

Someone did just hear from him via email on the Nazo Nazo thread - seems to be working through an email backlog at the moment - not sure if he is running at full steam or not, but there has been an overall feeling of motion

alric

Unread post by alric »

Honeybee wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:09 am There you go again with BASH
I was not a collector on this forum until 6 months ago
I expressed an opinion that it seemed like a gimmick to me
I don't know what profession you're in, but if you completed a work project that took several months and you put a lot of philosophical and creative energy into it, and then someone relegated your efforts and hard work as a mere gimmick, I am certain you would feel like you're being BASHED. But hey, you're as 100% entitled to your opinion as we are to calling you out for bashing. Bro, stand behind your words. You're calling Alex Chen's work a gimmick, bash away. Say what you mean and mean what you say, don't shy away from it.

Look, I didn't like this project either when it was announced over a year ago. But I'm not going to say it was just some cheap trick to get our money. Out of all the projects Alex put out, I liked this one the least because it was so conceptual, and I just wasn't feeling it. But as shkorc already mentioned, this wasn't a blind purchase project, Alex put it all out there right from the start and we all were fully informed, and I passed on this. No one puts out hits 100% of the time.
laitostarr777

I FINALLY got my Limbo

From 5 different box design: I choose Ennui for the skulls
IMG_9065.jpeg
IMG_9066.jpeg
IMG_9067.jpeg
laitostarr777

Dang, HOW Experimental the deck is!

And comparing to HSBS’s deck, the Dante Redux have the inverted color scheme for the back, n the Jokers are black - cards are not gilded
IMG_9104.jpeg
IMG_9107.jpeg
IMG_9108.jpeg
IMG_9110.jpeg
IMG_9111.jpeg
IMG_9113.jpeg
IMG_9114.jpeg
IMG_9115.jpeg
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I am glad these are now out in the wild. I saw Shade's post with five of them (wow. Mad props Shade). For myself, the design just didn't appeal to me at the time, or now. Not everything is going to hit me as it does others, which is cool. It does seem like enough folks liked it such that these did get produced.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Someone on Instagram posted a full set of all 10 decks a couple days ago :shock: :lol:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
laitostarr777

hsbc wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:04 pm Someone on Instagram posted a full set of all 10 decks a couple days ago :shock: :lol:
And I know who that guy is XD hahahaha hats off to him for being a hardcore
e10li

Unread post by e10li »

Has everyone received their limbo decks by now? Is there anyone that hasn't gotten tracking info yet? I ordered a V1 and have no tracking info yet, and no decks have showed up in the mail. Has anyone had any luck contacting Alex?