52 Plus Joker 2023 Club Deck by Brendan Hong

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
GandalfTheWhite
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 56

52 Plus Joker 2023 Club Deck by Brendan Hong

Unread post by GandalfTheWhite »

Created and printed by Brendan Hong and William Kalush (Expert Playing Card Company) exclusively for 52 Plus Joker. It’s a superb deck that embodies the world’s greatest playing card collector’s club. Fully customized. Print run of 1000 numbered decks.

Limited to 3 decks per member.

Deck is now available for members on their website https://www.52plusjoker.org/

PiazzaDelivery

Re: 52 Plus Joker 2023 Club Deck by By Brendan Hong

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

I guess I got used to something more... grandiose?

By no means a bad deck, but I'm unimpressed.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

Lorenzo set the bar too high
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

What they said.
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Never heard of the artist, but he looks to be a private guy from Ontario who has worked with Jackson Robinson before to create The Hive back in 2014 (also printed by EPCC). Much prefer the courts from that one:
hive2-cards.jpg

I was not impressed either, although I do like the card backs. For the sake of the series, I purchased one.

I like his humor.
From Brendan Hong's website
Brendan Hong is a freelance illustrator that graduated from the Illustration program at Ontario College of Art and Design. He enjoys being a freelancer after realized that the free part of freelancer does not mean he works for free, although he's a bit disappointed that that also means that he doesn't get a lance either and has decided that freelancer is a very misleading word. Through it all, he still hopes to get a free lance one day, but he's a bit unsure of where that might come from.

Doodling as a kid has been the gateway to the greater joys of drawing for Brendan. A pencil and paper is just the beginning for him and he hopes to continue evolve as his days fill up with more and more drawings. He's been able to have the pleasure to work with such companies: Kayak Magazine, ChickaDEE Magazine, LAD Communication and Bombardier Aerospace.
From his Tumblr
Brendan Hong is a freelance illustrator currently residing in Canada, though he one day strives to be the first illustrator residing in Antarctica where he’ll have penguin neighbours and hopefully dinosaur neighbours that have somehow hidden themselves away in the ice. He is prone to whimsical imagination about life and enjoy dreaming up stories. He draws, reads, lives and tries to enjoy life. Mostly, he is a private person, which seems to be a harder thing to be in this day and age of the internet, social media and all this sharing people are talking about, but he is trying to break out his shells by having two blogs! Lastly, Brendan enjoys pointing out to people that “freelancer” is a very misleading word as he does not work for free because no one is willing to give me free stuff to live off on and he still has not gotten a lance out in all his years freelancing. English is a very odd language at times.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

That doesn't stand up to the previous years decks at all. Not feeling this one, I'll be passing.
GandalfPC

I have passed as well - figure I will have a few years to change my mind before they sell out

rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

The artwork in this one is very similar -- I'd say it looks like a "version 2" -- of his Noble Marquis deck that he had tried to launch via Kickstarter several years ago. This was one I had hoped would have funded at the time, and the fact that it didn't and for other reasons which he never went into publicly, he chose to move on to other artistic endeavors.

I never met him in person, but in what limited exchanges we had online, he always seemed like a good guy and I'd hoped he would return to playing cards.

I'm being stingy with my playing card purchases these days, and I'm *mostly* only backing a few artists and series that I'm already into, so while it was a given I'd be buying this year's 52+J deck, I'm glad it's a fresh take on Brendan's Noble Marquis design. I totally get that his work is an acquired taste, but I still hope we see more of his work from time to time.

FYI:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... escription
This space intentionally left blank.
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

I was looking forward to this but this just isnt motivating me as a $35 deck.

I really regret not getting into this in years past to get the S17 deck Im sure I going to end up paying way too much to get one at some point.
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

I've always loved Brendan's style and like rousselle I was sad when his last deck got scrubbed. I adore these courts and would buy a "regular" deck with them in a heartbeat, but not enough to jump back into a club membership and then pay a premium for the cards. Love Brendan's color sense in this deck.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
steampunk52

Unread post by steampunk52 »

I like this deck well enough. I would not normally pay $35 for it, but I am already a member and want to maintain building my club deck collection (at least since I joined). I agree that Lorenzo dropped the mic with his, so very difficult to live up to that.
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

The price is high but I justify it by that the profits go to help keep the club running.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I would like one but rather than bugging a member here to PM me, I'll just wait until this is available somewhere else.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I was pleasantly surprised to see Brendan's name. A great deck. The price for the deck might be objectivly too high but it's to support the club so I don't see a problem there.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

the hive courts posted by kevork are much better than this club deck courts.
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

I met Brendan at a Toronto meetup for 52plus, with Lee Asher and others. Very nice guy. Happy to see him dabbling back in playing cards.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Don't they usually announce other decks along with the annual deck?

Hopefully this deck will look so much better in person.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Bikefanatic wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:48 am Don't they usually announce other decks along with the annual deck?
There have often been other decks released by various creators at past conventions, but nothing official - I wasn't able to make it this year so I haven't heard of any other releases!
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Off the top of my head, they announced Sorcerer's Apprentice and Sisterhood last year, but that was because those who were releasing the decks spoke at the convention. I did not attend the convention but did not see anything on social media about upcoming decks either.
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

Sometimes they have guests during the year or as special announcements but usually you can only guarantee the club deck is revealed.

Normally Alex attends and teases NPCCD or another project.
ShuffleUpandDeal

Re: 52 Plus Joker 2023 Club Deck by Brendan Hong

Unread post by ShuffleUpandDeal »

And why so expensive? $35 for a deck, on top of membership fees? I can get decks that are limited to 1000 for less than half that price at times. Nothing makes their decks, especially this one, worth that much money imo. No wonder they've only sold like 25% of them at this time.
GandalfPC

Membership fee is low enough and the deck prices don’t bother me in the clubs case

I do wish they had brought more to the table with this one though, but as beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some are happy to see this deck brought to life I can wait for next year and see if they bring something for me…

I may not buy this years club deck, but I will trade for it if I don’t - have to maintain a thread of completionism somewhere or I’ll lose all grip on reality…

Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

ShuffleUpandDeal wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:25 pm And why so expensive? $35 for a deck, on top of membership fees? I can get decks that are limited to 1000 for less than half that price at times. Nothing makes their decks, especially this one, worth that much money imo. No wonder they've only sold like 25% of them at this time.
The membership has other benefits. If you are buying the membership only to get the deck, yeah it's more expensive for the deck, but that's not the point of membership.

The deck sales also help to support the club. It's not just about the cost of the deck. Most of previous years they didn't sell out for a long time, after all, it is a limited amount of people who are members. TBH not selling out immediately isn't a problem, they would want to have stock for when people join.

It was only when Lorenzo's deck got seized upon by flippers that the club deck become a hot commodity.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

As confirmed by Jody a few years back, I also believe that the artist gets a handful to sell on his own accord.
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

vasta41 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:58 am As confirmed by Jody a few years back, I also believe that the artist gets a handful to sell on his own accord.
They do. There is some kind of arrangement and I believe some stock is part of that.
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Reylek »

I really like this year's deck, but traditional/classic style decks also generally appeal to me. I especially love the Back, Tuck, and AS. This is the first deck of Brendan's that I've owned.

Turning the club deck unveiling into a general deck unveiling happened inadvertently in 2015. The number of non-club decks presented changes year to year. Sometimes it's a few people/decks, this year it was just one. I gave a sneak peek at Penguin's Christmas Deck for this year.

In 2015, it just so happened that the first Honeybee decks from Penguin finished printing right before the convention, so we were able to get a case rushed to Orlando. I asked the organizers if there might be a window where I could announce the deck to all of the attendees. I was told to do a short presentation just before Bill Kalush presented the Club deck, so that's what we did.

It was decided that subsequent years would follow the same format, with deck debut presentations from anyone with a new deck to share, culminating with the debut of that year's club deck. This usually happens in the evening of the first full day of the convention.

I've attended & presented a new deck every year since 2015. In other years there have been decks from several other artists. In most years, Bill Kalush presents new decks from EPCC alongside the Club deck. However, because of the large undertaking of moving his Conjuring Arts library, he did not do additional decks in 2022 or 2023.

So this year it was just the Penguin Christmas deck and the Club deck. In past years there have been anywhere from like 2-6 designers/producers presenting. Next year in Niagara it'll be anyone's guess.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm going next year, so there BETTER BE LOTS AND LOTS OF COOL REVEALS!!! Bwahahahahahaha.

>ahem<
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

rousselle wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:45 pm I'm going next year, so there BETTER BE LOTS AND LOTS OF COOL REVEALS!!! Bwahahahahahaha.

>ahem<
It will be great to meet you!
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Next year the event will be in Niagara Falls? If so, hop on the Canada side, a bunch of attractions to see.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, everybody, get your passports in order if you don't already have them. Crossing the border at some point during your visit will be a must. :-)