Taipestry by Riccardo Conturbia (Velata Playing Cards)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Bradius
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Taipestry by Riccardo Conturbia (Velata Playing Cards)

Unread post by Bradius »

Same as well
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

While I appreciate the one-way aesthetic of the design, are you considering adding an index in the lower-right-hand corner? The number cards look completely wrong without it (based upon what little I see on the pre-order page), and if they're added there, they should be added to the courts, as well.

Keeping an index in the lower-right-hand-corner is a common approach for one-way decks, although removing the lower-right indexes is not unheard of. However, when it's done well, as in the case of the House of the Rising Spade, the number cards are designed such that they, too, are obviously one-way. I'm not getting that sense here.

Just food for thought. Gotta say, I find the illustrations and the card backs absolutely lush and mesmerizing, and I love what you're doing with them. A+ for the illustrations. The design, however, I think still could use a little tweaking.

Glad to see you back!
This space intentionally left blank.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

PiazzaDelivery wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:42 am
Adamthinks wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:12 pm The thing I don't like about AI generated images, is that it lacks a cohesive artistic vision. And often looks pretty slapdash. Especially when you don't use it as a starting point and leave it unedited.
Do you honestly get that feeling when looking at the images shown for this project thus far? From my perspective, the linkage between cards is very apparent.
Yes, I do. There's linkage at a basic level, but the composition of the cards look pretty random and chaotic. There are a lot of very minute choices made when making a design, all of which are considered towards the overall style. That shows up in the little details. That's not the case with these. I'm glad others are enjoying these, but these aren't for me. I collect cards mainly for the art. And as art, I think these fail.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

I hear you. From what I can see, there's something missing. Like a group of artists with similar styles did the art following the Tapestry theme. However, I'm getting this for the concept of AI designing the deck and seeing for myself just how it looks in my hand.

Also for the greater philosophical implications. One of the biggest things which separate humans from animals and AI is that we can create something original via art. To paraphrase Rich Mullins, Art by itself is completely frivolous and unnecessary, you can't eat it, drink it or breathe it, but your life wouldn't be worth much without it. This deck will show how far AI has come and how far it has to go.

Would love for Riccardo to do a video on how this was done using AI, without revealing any trade secrets if possible. Just how much human input went into creating the parameters for the AI to design this deck.

451 decks left out of 1k. It's going great!
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Conturbia »

rousselle wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:59 pm While I appreciate the one-way aesthetic of the design, are you considering adding an index in the lower-right-hand corner? The number cards look completely wrong without it (based upon what little I see on the pre-order page), and if they're added there, they should be added to the courts, as well.

Keeping an index in the lower-right-hand-corner is a common approach for one-way decks, although removing the lower-right indexes is not unheard of. However, when it's done well, as in the case of the House of the Rising Spade, the number cards are designed such that they, too, are obviously one-way. I'm not getting that sense here.

Just food for thought. Gotta say, I find the illustrations and the card backs absolutely lush and mesmerizing, and I love what you're doing with them. A+ for the illustrations. The design, however, I think still could use a little tweaking.

Glad to see you back!
Of course I'm going to consider your input! I can tell you that you pointed out one of the few element of contention I had with my (human) designer. Yes, of course there is a human being behind the production and there are choices :D even if it's an AI generated deck.

Thanks for the kind words!
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Adamthinks wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:06 pm
PiazzaDelivery wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:42 am
Adamthinks wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:12 pm The thing I don't like about AI generated images, is that it lacks a cohesive artistic vision. And often looks pretty slapdash. Especially when you don't use it as a starting point and leave it unedited.
Do you honestly get that feeling when looking at the images shown for this project thus far? From my perspective, the linkage between cards is very apparent.
Yes, I do. There's linkage at a basic level, but the composition of the cards look pretty random and chaotic. There are a lot of very minute choices made when making a design, all of which are considered towards the overall style. That shows up in the little details. That's not the case with these. I'm glad others are enjoying these, but these aren't for me. I collect cards mainly for the art. And as art, I think these fail.
I can understand what you are saying, of course, I consider the "inconsistencies" as the sign of a "baby" AI, a method that still has a lot of room of improvement. And I don't believe that's necessarily a good thing... Soon you won't be able to tell the difference at all (will this be bad or good?) and I wanted to create a concept deck that testimony this initial stage. Of course it won't be on everyone's alley, but ... to be honest this has to be said for a great portion of my production.

Another thing, I purposely asked the (human) designer to abstain from (significant) changes, this is a deliberate choice - that's of course something that has consequences, some of them correctly pointed out by you.
shunterino
White Whale: Wicked Kingdom
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by shunterino »

I was wondering, what is the significance of the serial number along the right hand edge?
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

shunterino wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:49 am I was wondering, what is the significance of the serial number along the right hand edge?
You have a good eye ;) it's a little thing I'll leave to be discovered by my customers :D
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The Jokers are ready :)

As for the process building them, the key was... not calling them Jokers. The AI is heavily geared toward comic characters, I was ending up with Batman references.
2_jokers_reduced.jpg
Eric Lee

Fascinating that pop culture has become so prevalent that an AI immediately equates a joker with Batman rather than a deck of cards. What keywords was used to get the pictures you had in mind? (If you don't mind sharing)
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Great question Eric. Not that surprising that AI is heavily influenced by pop culture though imo since, it is the most recent thing and the thing happening simultaniously to the AI development. Like young fellows only knowing the latest cover of an old 60s song instead of the original. Or in our realm like collectors that only know contemporary decks and therefore don't know which courts/aces/jokers are original or taken and inspired from antique and vintage decks.

I like the experiment and execution plus I love Major so I have to support AI.
Not to mention that I love the pre-order model; no rush, no artificial (as in caused by humans) scarcity or hype.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

Actually the reason AI is so Batman Joker heavy is because Google images is - its not the AI’s fault - its the fact that the people that train them feed them with google

Googles algorithms are popularity driven

People that train AI are just phoning it in :)
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Eric Lee wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:18 pm Fascinating that pop culture has become so prevalent that an AI immediately equates a joker with Batman rather than a deck of cards. What keywords was used to get the pictures you had in mind? (If you don't mind sharing)
I used "jester" as a better word, the keywords include also some "technical" ones to get good quality (depending on how you measure that) and to set the mood. Tapestry was of course one of the most relavant ones, then I tried to describe one sad jester on a throne and another "dancing" one.
laitostarr777
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

I decided to get this one as well - a good side-by-side with Singularity by RedBlack
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

A preview of the box, with a redesigned (borderless) back.
box.jpg
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

i think for the tuck front it would be better if it was just the art instead of what appears to be a card with a smaller version of the art. just let the art wrap around the tuck without the card overlaying it. i may not be explaining it well.
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

STLBluesNut wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:59 am i think for the tuck front it would be better if it was just the art instead of what appears to be a card with a smaller version of the art. just let the art wrap around the tuck without the card overlaying it. i may not be explaining it well.
It was our first idea, but the artwork was not cooperating :)
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I like it plenty
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
STLBluesNut

any updates on this or did i miss it? i did the couple dollar preorder on this deck but it has fallen off the radar since.
Eric Lee

Latest update from Riccardo on Jan 26
TaiPESTRY update
Hi, I finally managed to use the communication features of Gumroad, that's why I'm copying the same message here, I believe you prefer the official Gumroad communication, rather than my personal email. Again, no differences from the previous message you already received :)

Dear friends,

Thank you for your support! I apologize for the lack of updates recently - I had some trouble sending messages through Gumroad, but I wanted to reach out and let you know what's been happening, that's why I'm using my personal email.

We've made some changes to the deck design after reviewing the first prototypes. These include:

A borderless, symmetric back design that improves playability and fanning. We had to tweak the AI-generated images, but we believe it's the best choice for the final deck.
Numeric cards are now fully two-way. The one-way prototype felt off to us.
Indexes placed in the standard way for improved playability.
Moreover we'll be offering two versions of the deck: a "black label" version with black gilding, and a standard version with no gilding. As early adopters, you'll be able to choose between them at no additional cost. Later customers will have to pay extra for the gilded version.

I've attached some images of the final prototype for you to see - these haven't been shared on social media yet!

As for production, unfortunately the redesign caused us to miss the deadline before the Chinese New Year. The final artwork has been submitted and approved, we're just waiting for printing to begin. I apologize for the delay and for not keeping you updated more frequently.

Thank you for your patience, and I hope you enjoy the prototype images.

Best regards,
Riccardo Conturbia
Attachments
back.jpg
courts.jpg
faces.jpg
faces 2.jpg
NativeTongue
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NativeTongue »

GandalfPC wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am Also, if we say online that we don’t like AI, images or otherwise, the robots will put us on a list and will persecute us once they become our overlords.

:ugdance:
Compliance is highly advised ;)
redux

Unread post by redux »

I'm in for two! I guess I wasn't too late since the preorder was still open.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Link?
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

kevork wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:33 pm
rousselle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:24 pmLink?
https://velata.gumroad.com/l/taipestry-pre-order
Thanks! I bought my pair of "tokens."

I didn't see any obvious way to opt for the black gilding, but I will certainly take advantage of that offer if it is still available when the finished product is released.

:-)
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Not a fan of the mixed style of the courts. I'm out.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Eric Lee

Update from Riccardo
Dear Friends,

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to provide you with an update on the progress of the project. I am happy to announce that the cards and tuck cases for both versions have been printed and I have some preliminary images to share with you.

The next steps in the process are applying the "butter finish," cutting the cards, gilding one of the two versions, and assembling everything.

Rest assured, I will keep you updated on any further developments.

Thank you for your support and enthusiasm for this project. I cannot wait to have the final product in my hands!

Best regards,

Riccardo
laitostarr777

Heads up guys, the decks are finished and will be on their way!

Settle the remaining dues, submit address, and good to go!
STLBluesNut

laitostarr777 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:06 am Heads up guys, the decks are finished and will be on their way!

i dont even remember the site to settle up lol.
laitostarr777

STLBluesNut wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:06 am
laitostarr777 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:06 am Heads up guys, the decks are finished and will be on their way!

i dont even remember the site to settle up lol.
Ricardo should have email you something - its a form to fill up your order and the address. After that, he will total up everything, and you paid him with Paypal