🌜Under the Moon🌛 from Jocu Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

🌜Under the Moon🌛 from Jocu Playing Cards

Unread post by Jocu »

Hello everyone!

I had thought there was a thread for this already as I've definitely mentioned it in passing, but now for the first time outside of our Inner Circle subscribers I'm pleased to announce our first major Kickstarter since The Heritage Series:

Under The Moon by Jocu Playing Cards

We have just shared our first mockups of the back design after previously showing off some courts and pips to The Inner Circle earlier in the year. Under The Moon is looking like a 3 deck series at launch, with completely unique court cards between variants for what is the first time in a Jocu project outside of CULT.

Completing a loose trilogy with The Green Man and ONDA, where we have previously explored folklore and mythology of the forest and ocean, we now venture into that of the animal kingdom. The animals depicted are inspired by the old folk tales about the characteristics of certain creatures. From sly foxes and wise salmon, to a squirrel's ability to foresee the weather, we decided to create a new style of deck through the lens of our ancestors' relationship with wildlife.

We are expecting to launch in early July and would love to see you all there! Obviously these images are subject to change between now and production and we will share all the details of the project in the upcoming weeks.

Feel free to fire away with any questions, it's still relatively early days to confirm too much but I will do my best to respond!
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: 🌜Under the Moon 🌛 Coming soon to Kickstarter from Jocu Playing Cards

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I'm not sure about the courts being that kinda seperated without a real transition, I tend to a mild dislike for them but the number cards and back design are very much to my liking. The elongated fonts are fun and as always, I like your pips.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Harvonsgard wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 am I'm not sure about the courts being that kinda seperated without a real transition
same for me but i do prefer this over the 2 halves being separated by a line or banner.
kasuma99
White Whale: Dynasty Black deck by Florey
Decks Owned: 666

Unread post by kasuma99 »

Can we have back foiling this time? I will be in for sure!!
I mostly collect Stockholm17 and always looking for any S17 New/Opened decks/ accessories: Brick Boxes, prints, coins, Pins, ect... If you have some weird small thing and want to trade/sell please let me know! If you are also a fan and have free time to chat, feel free to send me a PM!
P52: https://portfolio52.com/profile/20009
Instargram: https://www.instagram.com/kasuma99/
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/kasuma9999
Up to date sale list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

kasuma99 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:14 am Can we have back foiling this time? I will be in for sure!!
We are planning it, hence playing around with the mockups like this :)

I think we've got the budget down to pull it off, and whilst it might start as a stretch goal it will likely only be around the €18k mark which we have consistently hit on the last few campaigns.

It's a tough trade off as cold foil is expensive, and we don't want to be charging $19 a deck so I think I've found a decent middle-ground where the decks can remain our usual pricing for standard decks but still absorb the price hike when the stretch goal is hit.
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

This looks INCREDIBLE - sign me up :)
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

I absolutely love these. Great work as always.
DestinationQ1
Decks Owned: 450

Unread post by DestinationQ1 »

This is pretty cute. Count me in
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

BEAUTIFUL. Ale is a BEAST.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Amazing work :)
Siege

Unread post by Siege »

You need to do the KS launch on the day of a new moon 😁😉🙌🏽
“If you don’t know you don’t know, you think you know. If you don’t know you know, you think you don’t know” R.D. Laing.
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

Siege wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:25 am You need to do the KS launch on the day of a new moon 😁😉🙌🏽
I would love to but it's a bit soon 😅 maybe around the full moon on the 13th?
GandalfTheWhite
Decks Owned: 56

Unread post by GandalfTheWhite »

So beautiful! The back design is amazing. Can't wait!
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

Hello everyone!

Some input on our ideas for this campaign would be lovely.

As creators we too have grown tired of overblown Kickstarter campaigns with intricate stretch goals, endlessly unlocking rewards and general chaff that for the most part we have found doesn't really help the campaign at all, and confuses backers.

So with the success of our simplest ever campaign Samhain & Imbolc seemingly proving to us that backers are more than happy to back a straightforward, affordable deck without a bloated campaign, we think the best approach for Under the Moon will be a similar one, especially given the circumstances.

We are considering:
  • Having all variants and rewards available from Day One, to avoid backers feeling they have to keep checking back on the campaign to not miss anything
  • 24 hour Early Birds to ensure different time zones are looked after
  • Ability to buy any individual item with no restrictions of limited decks to certain tiers or spend
  • Flat rate shipping for each zone, regardless of tier. This simplifies our fulfilment and also avoids backers having to constantly calculate various reward combinations for the best deal
  • All campaign decks available as individual add-ons for the same set cost, so backers can customise any pledge they like (although obviously the most economical way of getting say, a brick, will be with the brick tier rather than adding 12 individual decks
This means the following items will be available from day one, whereas previously we had considered locking some behind stretch goals.
  • All 3 Under the Moon variants with cold foil backs from the start
  • Under the Moon booklets and bookmarks
  • A KS special series of the decks with a triptych design tuck, limited to 200/250 available on its own without needing to back other items
We may have some simple stretch goals which will either upgrade everyone's pledge or add some hardcore collector things like uncut sheets, with the aim being again to reduce backers feeling the necessity to keep checking back.

We are aiming for a 15 day campaign.

Items will also be available through our custom survey store after the campaign to allow backers to split their budgeting, including the remainder of the collector's triptych. We may consider having half available during the campaign and half later or something similar.

What do you think about this approach? Anything else you'd like us to do/avoid this time round compared to other campaigns or previous Jocu campaigns?
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

Jocu wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:14 am Hello everyone!

Some input on our ideas for this campaign would be lovely.

As creators we too have grown tired of overblown Kickstarter campaigns with intricate stretch goals, endlessly unlocking rewards and general chaff that for the most part we have found doesn't really help the campaign at all, and confuses backers.

So with the success of our simplest ever campaign Samhain & Imbolc seemingly proving to us that backers are more than happy to back a straightforward, affordable deck without a bloated campaign, we think the best approach for Under the Moon will be a similar one, especially given the circumstances.

We are considering:
  • Having all variants and rewards available from Day One, to avoid backers feeling they have to keep checking back on the campaign to not miss anything
  • 24 hour Early Birds to ensure different time zones are looked after
  • Ability to buy any individual item with no restrictions of limited decks to certain tiers or spend
  • Flat rate shipping for each zone, regardless of tier. This simplifies our fulfilment and also avoids backers having to constantly calculate various reward combinations for the best deal
  • All campaign decks available as individual add-ons for the same set cost, so backers can customise any pledge they like (although obviously the most economical way of getting say, a brick, will be with the brick tier rather than adding 12 individual decks
This means the following items will be available from day one, whereas previously we had considered locking some behind stretch goals.
  • All 3 Under the Moon variants with cold foil backs from the start
  • Under the Moon booklets and bookmarks
  • A KS special series of the decks with a triptych design tuck, limited to 200/250 available on its own without needing to back other items
We may have some simple stretch goals which will either upgrade everyone's pledge or add some hardcore collector things like uncut sheets, with the aim being again to reduce backers feeling the necessity to keep checking back.

We are aiming for a 15 day campaign.

Items will also be available through our custom survey store after the campaign to allow backers to split their budgeting, including the remainder of the collector's triptych. We may consider having half available during the campaign and half later or something similar.

What do you think about this approach? Anything else you'd like us to do/avoid this time round compared to other campaigns or previous Jocu campaigns?
I think this works well for many of us. Speaking for myself this is how I prefer a campaign to be structured. I know it doesn’t yield the same results as releasing decks in waves in terms of bringing in new backers but I always prefer to see everything and be able to customize my pledge as I see fit.

Your work always pushes the boundaries of playing cards, especially when it comes to tucks. I don’t think having a few stretch goals could hurt but ultimately the Jocu quality and design is what everyone backs for.

I am really excited for the triptych set. I can’t wait to see it.

Anthony, are there going to be any IC bonuses for those members?
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

Fenrir wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:20 amI think this works well for many of us. Speaking for myself this is how I prefer a campaign to be structured. I know it doesn’t yield the same results as releasing decks in waves in terms of bringing in new backers but I always prefer to see everything and be able to customize my pledge as I see fit.

Your work always pushes the boundaries of playing cards, especially when it comes to tucks. I don’t think having a few stretch goals could hurt but ultimately the Jocu quality and design is what everyone backs for.

I am really excited for the triptych set. I can’t wait to see it.

Anthony, are there going to be any IC bonuses for those members?
Thanks for the feedback and support!

Yeah we've never been interested in the high-energy, big ticket campaign numbers anyway. It's a double-edged sword, as whilst you can create excitement and interest in a campaign by staggering releases you also lose a lot of potential support for what I'd say is now practically the majority of people who just want to pledge and wait for their decks, without having to check back every day for updates. Hell, the amount of even hardcore Jocu patrons and customers who miss major drops, pay for shipping when the free shipping option is there, buy duplicate decks not realising they already have some on order etc... collectors attention and patience is already stretched thin for many reasons so we want to keep things simple and really go back to basics whilst ironically producing our most technically specced up deck to date.

We are planning something for the Inner Circle members as an exclusive, which will either be something simple like a discounted reward option or maybe something more complex such as a tuck variation or similar. We already have 6 potential tucks to produce though so maybe we can take something from the Fillide In Bloom decks and perhaps offer an alterante triptych or something!
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

Jocu wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:31 amThanks for the feedback and support!

Yeah we've never been interested in the high-energy, big ticket campaign numbers anyway. It's a double-edged sword, as whilst you can create excitement and interest in a campaign by staggering releases you also lose a lot of potential support for what I'd say is now practically the majority of people who just want to pledge and wait for their decks, without having to check back every day for updates. Hell, the amount of even hardcore Jocu patrons and customers who miss major drops, pay for shipping when the free shipping option is there, buy duplicate decks not realising they already have some on order etc... collectors attention and patience is already stretched thin for many reasons so we want to keep things simple and really go back to basics whilst ironically producing our most technically specced up deck to date.

We are planning something for the Inner Circle members as an exclusive, which will either be something simple like a discounted reward option or maybe something more complex such as a tuck variation or similar. We already have 6 potential tucks to produce though so maybe we can take something from the Fillide In Bloom decks and perhaps offer an alterante triptych or something!
That sounds great. I am excited for all the versions and what the IC special version will have. Really excited to see this campaign launch.
Adamthinks

Re: 🌜Under the Moon🌛 Coming soon to Kickstarter from Jocu Playing Cards

Adamthinks

Kickstarter exclusive triptych version
Harvonsgard

Tip to the hat. There is very much to like about this project. Did I expresss my love for those indices already? I did 😃.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

Another winner by Anthony over at Jocu. I think he is a severely underated designer that ranks right up there with the best. This deck looks to be no exception. And if anyone is on the fence about his subscription club...don't be. It's right up there with Gio and Lorenzo's. His customer service is top tier. An up and coming creator to watch indeed even though he has been at it for a few years now. With each project he grows and improves.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

james001a wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:38 pm Another winner by Anthony over at Jocu. I think he is a severely underated designer that ranks right up there with the best. This deck looks to be no exception. And if anyone is on the fence about his subscription club...don't be. It's right up there with Gio and Lorenzo's. His customer service is top tier. An up and coming creator to watch indeed even though he has been at it for a few years now. With each project he grows and improves.
Thank you for the kind words James :)

Here is a rough breakdown of the key reward tiers:

• Single decks at €16/$16 (The dollar is particularly favourable for US backers for now ;) )

• Complete set of 3x Decks w/explanation booklet and leather bookmark €55/$55(EB available)

• Half Brick decks only inc. Jocu half brick box (Under the Moon half brick box unlockable) €85/$85

• Half Brick decks w/ Booklet and leather bookmark inc. Jocu half brick box (Under the Moon half brick box unlockable) €95/$95 (EB available)

Anyone wanting a different deck combination can add any deck for €16/$16 on the add-ons page

The gilded, limited Triptych edition will unlock at around €20,000. It will be a limited add-on, with a fair 200-250 or so limit. They will be addable at any tier level, but only as a complete set. They will cost around €90/$90 for the set.

After the triptych unlocks, a new 1:1:1:1:1:1 half brick tier will also unlock. It won't offer a discount over the regular tier, so there will be no reason to change tiers. In fact, this whole campaign is based on the idea that no-one should feel they have to change tiers to get a better deal at any point. If you get an EB, you're already in the best value tier.

Inner Circle members will get a discounted tier, most likely a complete set or a premium half brick with 1 of each deck. This will be accessible with instructions shared to members. Please don't sign up just to get this deal with no intention of supporting the IC - you will need to be a member both at pledge date and at fulfilment date in a few months otherwise the reward will be refunded.

Any questions let me know!
Harvonsgard

james001a wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:38 pm Another winner by Anthony over at Jocu. I think he is a severely underated designer that ranks right up there with the best.
Say that to Ale's face without blushing, haha.

zoogenhiemer
White Whale: Damask Red

Unread post by zoogenhiemer »

Jocu wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:33 pm
Inner Circle members will get a discounted tier, most likely a complete set or a premium half brick with 1 of each deck.
Does this mean the inner circle tier won’t be available until the gilded set is unlocked then?
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

zoogenhiemer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:03 pm
Jocu wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:33 pm
Inner Circle members will get a discounted tier, most likely a complete set or a premium half brick with 1 of each deck.
Does this mean the inner circle tier won’t be available until the gilded set is unlocked then?
Not necessarily we’re still working it out it means there’ll be a non triptych one and a triptych one after unlock.
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

Adamthinks wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:04 pm Image

Kickstarter exclusive triptych version
Some more info on the Triptychs and add-ons.

Triptych sets will only be available as add-ons when the stretch goal is met, but they will be available to anyone who wants them and up to 3 per backer. They will cost €90 a set.

Uncut sheets, tucks and signed prints will also be available from the start of the campaign.

We have a second stretch goal which will upgrade any half brick boxes to Under the Moon half bricks, a little later than the triptych.

We want to keep things simple so that will be all for now :)
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I like the squirrel.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

Bradius wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:12 am I like the squirrel.
Ale didn't want to give him an M60, unfortunately.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

And it goes live! I actually made it in the top 100 backers. That is almost a record for me these days.

Oh, if the Kickstarter exclusive decks goal is reached, can we just do an upgrade of existing decks to the exclusive deck? I'm not sure it would save anything, but I might go for a mixed brick and then upgrade two sets to the exclusive, or stay with the half brick and just add on another half brick. Trying to figure things out before EB's end.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
jordn613

Unread post by jordn613 »

Backed! Will Cult decks be available in the pledge manager as add-ons?