Vivid Kingdoms

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Cardamon

Re: Vivid Kingdoms

Unread post by Cardamon »

GandalfPC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:43 pm Pretty sure most of the newbies are his YouTube fans, and will likely be horrifically patient with fulfillment - in contrast to how up in arms they were at people who took advantage of the ability to get two of the “rare” black decks - as they will treat Ten Hundred with all kindness that they kept in pocket while dealing with “greedy” patrons
It was quite interesting to hear them claim people wouldn’t get any rewards if they got more then 1 of the black decks. Trying to scare em back on the market?
I got mine 2 minutes after it launched so I just sat back and watched the comment section blow up for a few hours.
Strag
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Stayed away from this one. Will be an aftermarket buy if that. Just not worth it for the price for me and I'm being much more selective recently.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I wasn't really interested in the "rare" decks. If he throws in one of the freebie rare decks to me in the back row of backers, I will definitely not complain. Overall though, I am excited that he has brought first time people into the world of custom playing cards. I also liked his artwork, which is honestly why I backed it. The price didn't hold me back.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

Cardamon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:04 pm Trying to scare em back on the market?
It certainly seems that way to me
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

GandalfPC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:43 pm Pretty sure most of the newbies are his YouTube fans, and will likely be horrifically patient with fulfillment - in contrast to how up in arms they were at people who took advantage of the ability to get two of the “rare” black decks - as they will treat Ten Hundred with all kindness that they kept in pocket while dealing with “greedy” patrons
Interestingly, Ender's Game actually did ask him regarding fulfillment. He has his own shipping team to handle his online store, so he's already got a system in place and aware of the various things that can go wrong with shipping . They just need to be able to handle the volume in a suitable timeframe. The full article is here with great analysis on why it's so successful and what other KS designers can learn from him.

https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/all- ... ickstarter
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Rolled my eyes and cringed after seeing the added decks. You can't blame Tenhun for giving the people what they want thoug. *Eurythmics intensify*
Cool deck that deserves the crown nonetheless. Not gonna lie, I can't be more bored by what the majority of established producers/designers bring to the table. Refreshing to see someone having success from outside the card industry.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Eric Lee

Harvonsgard wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:53 pm Cool deck that deserves the crown nonetheless. Not gonna lie, I can't be more bored by what the majority of established producers/designers bring to the table. Refreshing to see someone having success from outside the card industry.
Agreed, hopefully this is the shakeup that gets others to pay attention and start doing new things. Stop focusing only on the shiney like foil edging, foiling this , holo that. Go back to the art and design of the playing card.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Eric Lee wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:33 am
Harvonsgard wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:53 pm Cool deck that deserves the crown nonetheless. Not gonna lie, I can't be more bored by what the majority of established producers/designers bring to the table. Refreshing to see someone having success from outside the card industry.
Agreed, hopefully this is the shakeup that gets others to pay attention and start doing new things. Stop focusing only on the shiney like foil edging, foiling this , holo that. Go back to the art and design of the playing card.
I love shiny, I love foil and metallic inks and neon and all that. AND YET, I agree whole-heartedly that it's all about the art, and some of my favorite decks are 100% art/design and 0% shiny.

I did not back this project because, well, it's a bit too big for someone too new to all this. I realize that with this scale, it's kinda "too big to fail", but I'll buy it in the aftermarket. I love the art, but not enough to dive head first into all this.

But, yeah, if this brings more artists and designers to the mix, it only benefits all of us. :)
This space intentionally left blank.
Eric Lee

I should have added I also love me them shiney holo foil bits, but not when that's the only thing about the deck. 1 or 2 is enough for my collection. I don't need 12 different holofoil decks with the similar shiney holofoil backs but only standard courts.

Back to Vivid Kingdoms, what sold me ,besides the courts, was the semi transformational number cards and that they join to make a picture. So few semi/full transformation decks around and the most recent ones to come out this year are reprints! (PCD's Cotta series)

Also very good to read that TenHun is very aware of the sheer scope of the fulfillment facing him and has already taken steps to tackle them as stated in his latest update.

Already engaged Backerkit to handle all the addons and looking at different fulfillment partners:
The ball is definitely rolling with all the manufacturers. This whole last month while the kickstarter campaign was going, I have been on many a phone call, email and zoom meeting. I feel like I am in a really solid place with production and I have awesome manufacturing partners for every piece associated with this Kickstarter. Those who have been following my YT channel or know my art career, know I am kinda obsessed with making awesome art merch. This part is the most fun for me. I am equally, if not more, excited to have this stuff in my hands as you all are.

I have also been in discussions with Fulfillment partners. Right now I am in the process of deciding if I will handle fulfillment as originally planned, or if a fulfillment company will handle PART or ALL of shipping out the rewards.

The folks I am talking to have been filled in on every little detail of this campaign and I am just getting all the final details to make my decision on that.

Which ever option I go with, I am gonna make sure I have lots of help and make sure I have all the resources I need to deliver an awesome backer experience.

I will keep y'all posted on this development.
GandalfPC

Surprises me he is still considering doing the fulfillment in house…
A5543853-54E9-4332-A942-3D0F2A3D6621.jpeg

Harvonsgard

+💯 @Eric

Him having his own succesful art business and being aware of the business side didn't let me hesitate do be in.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
EndersGame

Unread post by EndersGame »

The final figure this project achieved was $2,143,826 with 23,147 backers.

It's an absolutely staggering result, especially considering that the previous best for a playing card project on Kickstarter was around $630,000.
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Harvonsgard

Let's go Brandon sure helped a tiny bit. Would be interesting how much was made only with the four editions minus the merch.

Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

I knew nothing about this guy previously and I've not backed the campaign, but I can't help but be happy for him as he's seems a genuinely nice guy who cares for his followers; he's clearly got his head screwed on correctly and seems to be hitting the deck (ha!) running.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Very cool video tour of Gamblers Warehouse

Gambler's Warehouse Tour (Kickstarter Exclusive)
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
DestinationQ1
Decks Owned: 450

Unread post by DestinationQ1 »

Been speaking to Eddie over email, finally get to see what he looks like. What a cool dude. Haha. Tnx for posting the YouTube vid. And can’t wait to finally get the decks 👍 can’t remember if I ordered the signed editions, hope I did..
EndersGame

DestinationQ1 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:08 pm Been speaking to Eddie over email, finally get to see what he looks like. What a cool dude.
In that case you need to check out this video from 52 Plus Joker's 2020 Virtual Convention:

It's a complete tour of the Gambler's Warehouse Factory, with Eddie Kamal and Sam Zubai. Really, really interesting, and it will keep you entertained for over half an hour.
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

DestinationQ1
Decks Owned: 450

Unread post by DestinationQ1 »

O yea. Thanks for sharing. I believe I seen this one already. This time mr Eddie has a mask on. Hahah. 😷
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
EndersGame

Your photos are always amazing. It's like I'm actually holding the cards in my hand!
--

GandalfPC

For those interested, ten hundred has a pre-order going for a puzzle - not directly related to the deck but the style is there and seeing that KW does the puzzles I figured some might be in the habit of such

https://tenhundredart.com/merch/puzzle

Looks to be pretty nifty - high quality and a puzzle within a puzzle - double sized with back side being sketch work up

———-

The ad copy:

$37.99 - 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - 80cm x 41cm puzzle ( 31.5in x 16.14in)

Random Cut Puzzle Piece shapes
3 custom shaped puzzle pieces in the shape of Ten Hundred characters.
Satin Soft Touch Puzzle
Double Sided Puzzle
Cloth Bag holds pieces
Puzzle Guide poster
Checklist of Codes to Solve
“Open after finished” secret envelope
13 Character Bios to piece together the full story
Answers to codes

14558DE1-6D88-4A1F-A655-760D8DEBB72E.png
C9FDD101-D25A-4C0E-B874-8236E005F11F.png
BF4D6EBA-9E46-4E06-BC09-AC506F0D2B47.jpeg

Harvonsgard

I see what Tenhun did there.

On another note, seeing hsbc's gorgeous photos: did USPCC smurf up the registration again? Border looks bad; even with accounting that you photographed it with an angle.

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Harvonsgard wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:49 pmdid USPCC smurf up the registration again? Border looks bad; even with accounting that you photographed it with an angle.
Yep :ugthink:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
GandalfPC

Pretty sure they didn’t do that gilded number, which was accidentally made bridge size - for the USPCC deck I was pretty impressed that they didn’t screw the pooch on the alignment with the fronts. TenHun is certainly not a card guy though, so we are lucky they are as good as they are.

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

The gilded deck is poker size just like the others
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

GandalfPC wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:35 pm 3 custom shaped puzzle pieces in the shape of Ten Hundred characters.
Maybe that's common with custom puzzles but that's pretty cool :ugthink:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
GandalfPC

Yeah - I like that bit too

GandalfPC

hsbc wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:01 pm The gilded deck is poker size just like the others
Is it? It flops around in its case and I read somewhere it was smaller than normal…

Tuck doesn't seem wider than normal…

Trying to check through the side slots - it does indeed seem they are poker sized - a surprise to me, and a happy one

I guess those wide slots in the side buckling out a bit has created a mass hallucination