DebutV1 REVISED

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
DestinationQ1
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 450

DebutV1 REVISED

Unread post by DestinationQ1 »

From the response I received before, I ended up redesigning the card back. What do you guys think? Comments, feedback welcome.

I also added an animation btw.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ory_newest

Thanks,
Q
Attachments
Back card revised
Back card revised
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Re: DebutV1 REVISED

Unread post by GandalfPC »

πŸ‘ very nice :)
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
DestinationQ1

Thanks mr Moderator. Is there an option for us to share a video clip on the site? Or are we only able to share images?
GandalfPC

You can certainly link to a YouTube video, not sure that the on site preview works though (I never seem to see them)

DestinationQ1

Adding link works the same. Tnx for the response. πŸ‘
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

I like the artstyle, it's definitely different than what we're used to, but there's something about the campaign that's holding me back. I think its the lack of a "WOW" factor imo. I'm going to sit this one out, but I hope this gets funded!
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
DestinationQ1

Thanks for the feedback, I can see where you are coming from. I could have done some wow factor like all-out on the tuck case w embossing, cold foil, ect. But I did not want to climb too high and be too ambitious with my very first card design. Hopefully one day, with a huge fan base and investment $, I would be able to.. in the mean time I scaled down my price to $15 a deck ($14 early bird special, still some available!) for many people around the world to enjoy.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Nice improvements. I'm in the same boat as Piazza by wishing this project very well but sitting this one out.
I hope there'll be a V2 with full body courts with this artstyle.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
DestinationQ1

Thank you for the comment, feedback, and wishes. The plan is to have V1 dedicated to the House of Diamonds, hence the Diamond back design; V2,to the House of Clubs.

Side note* If you have not check out the animation on the KS link, please do. It is titled β€œThe Marriage at the House of Diamonds” make sure to turn on the volume as well. Feedback and comments welcome.

A little hesitant with the full body design on the court cards for practical card playing purposes. Would give away a hint of a pocket pairs if I rotate my cards around to see the art work while being in the big blind position. What are your thoughts on half body mirrored instead?

Will definitely consider the full body design way down the line if I am at least 10% as successful and well known as Jackson Robinson with his LOTR deck, which he did full body on. Great deck and artist respectively..
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

i like the back and the courts it was the kind of plain tuck front that had me on the fence. looking really hard at this one though!
Harvonsgard

With full body I wasn't referring to one-way courts but meant that you see more than just the head on the cards. Apologies for the confusion.

I can see your point in regards to one-way courts; although when playing poker all I personally care for is the corner pip and index but again, I can see the point and you often read that people sure prefer two-way courts.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
DestinationQ1

How about the animation on the KS page? Seen it yet?comments / feedback welcome. Ps turn audio on..
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

Either something is wrong with my computer/browser or the video is bugged because it looked like it was being played at 10 fps for me. Cute tho, definitely an interesting way to show the cards.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

PiazzaDelivery wrote: ↑Sat May 28, 2022 3:06 pm Either something is wrong with my computer/browser or the video is bugged because it looked like it was being played at 10 fps for me. Cute tho, definitely an interesting way to show the cards.
Sam here on both parts of the comments. Dropped frames, cool idea.
DestinationQ1

Thank you for the response. This is my first animation. I believe I did it at 8 fps. Maybe I’ll have to spend some more time to look into how to make it smoother.
DestinationQ1

DebutV1 KS Feedback

Good morning my lovely cardist community. Anything you guys would change on this deck, animation and/or campaign? My first run at card design and would love to improve for the better..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ry_popular
Attachments
FDFA60B4-9CE0-4AC9-B1AA-D59A8CE49705.jpeg
74322404-25B6-4784-B7FB-52CEDC1830DE.jpeg
454764F7-943B-42B8-A903-0CE234CEEB6A.jpeg
1AB81998-3D34-4445-968E-218E624E9AF3.jpeg
STLBluesNut

Re: DebutV1 KS Feedback

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

i like everything really except the tuck design. the side that is just the rectangle and rabbit. seems a bit plain to me in comparison the the great art of the courts. a tuck design that could take advantage of some of the features many have come to expect on a custom playing card tuck. matte stock, embossing, foil. i will say a gain that i do not generally care for court cards that are split with a line or banner but they style and composition of these i really like.

the other thing i would change is moving to a bottom of the deck seal rather than the traditional over the top flap seal. i dont care for the look of having the seal there once the deck is opened. removing them is a pain in most cases as the leave a residue or damage the tuck. i also feel like it covers the art of the tuck.
DestinationQ1

Re: DebutV1 KS Feedback

Thank you for the feedback. That is quite interesting on the location of the seal. I can see how it can be an annoyance at the corner of the opening flap. And will keep that in mind on my next design.

I would love to improve the tuck w embossing and foil. But it can get pricey and was afraid to take a leap with my first deck design. Do you know of any good company that does tuck cases well and at a decent price?

Thank you on the comment of the courts, as you can tell I enjoy that portion of the design the most.
Harvonsgard

Not sure about decent price but for tucks either Gamblers Warehouse or Clove St.Press (both USAπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ). πŸ₯“ (aka Curioplayingcards) - if I remember correctly - used Fresh Impression or something along that line (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ as well).
As for the fear of the leap - your mileage may vary - but I'd say go big or go home. If your deck doesn't offer features that make'em stand out, you either have a big community supporting you or a breathtaking design (e.g. Wicked Kingdom by Wylie Beckert) to make it fund with a plain, glossy tuck box.

As for design feedback: I get the nod of tuck design towards minimal approaches and I'm cool with that since the cards are more important to me. My prior feedback for the cards stands; the head only courts don't work for me - like at all.

For the seal: a sticker on the bottom is not a seal. There is no point in having that, unless you wanna have the decks numbered individually, if not, just print the design on the bottom of the tuck, saves money πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ.

DestinationQ1

Great feedback and good recommendations. I will definitely keep the tuck case company in mind for maybe my next deck design.

I also like the idea of going all out or go home. It’s kind of tough if I want to make it for the masses as well. Tough to find that nice balance…
Harvonsgard

Yah, there is no perfect recipe unfortunately. On one side keeping the deck price as low as possible will make a bunch of folks complain about the deck not being interesting enough. If you go blinged out other lads will complain about the price πŸ˜….

DestinationQ1

Such a good point. πŸ˜‚ some people we just can’t make happy. πŸ˜‚
DestinationQ1

I have reach my project goal. So happy πŸ€“ !
Also very happy that the last few pledges were from outside the States. Nice to know that the decks will be enjoyed all over the world. Thank you to those who have pledged. And for those who haven’t, we still have 15 days left in the champagne.
Happy days πŸ€“

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ry_popular
Harvonsgard

Congratulations on funding πŸ₯‚πŸΎ.

DestinationQ1

Drinks all around 🍺
Thank you, thank you 😊
DestinationQ1

Backers are requesting art prints but I do not know where to start. It won’t be for this current campaign but definitely in the future. Know of any good companies that does great custom art prints? Tnx.
GandalfPC

Not β€œin the know” but perhaps these guys are worth a look (found them searching for Giclee printing on demand…)

https://thestackhouse.com/products/fine ... ng-giclee/

DestinationQ1

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Final days of the Kickstarter campaign. Last chance to own something special πŸ₯°

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... nding_soon