The Name of the Wind Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

The Name of the Wind Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter

Unread post by badpete69 »

Wow another Albino deck

BMPokerworld

Re: The Name of the Wind Playing Cards now live on Kickstart

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

Glad to see he finally adjusted his International shipping rates down to a reasonable level. I guess all that BS he was spewing during the last campaign about his shipping rates being reasonable and fair, just proves that is what it was, nothing but BS!!!

Thanks!
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

"Glad to see he finally adjusted his International shipping rates down to a reasonable level. I guess all that BS he was spewing during the last campaign about his shipping rates being reasonable and fair, just proves that is what it was, nothing but BS!!!

Thanks!
Indeed, indeed, pity they adjusted it only on this project, would have love to seen it on the white rabbit deck, might have jumped in then. Ill wait and see what good stuff they have in store before deciding to sell off my kids.
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

volantangel wrote:
"Glad to see he finally adjusted his International shipping rates down to a reasonable level. I guess all that BS he was spewing during the last campaign about his shipping rates being reasonable and fair, just proves that is what it was, nothing but BS!!!

Thanks!
Indeed, indeed, pity they adjusted it only on this project, would have love to seen it on the white rabbit deck, might have jumped in then. Ill wait and see what good stuff they have in store before deciding to sell off my kids.

I just don't understand why someone would rather LIE, than just tell the truth and admit when they made a mistake. Simple and eliminates a lot of ugliness and hard feelings.

Thanks!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Artwork is very similar to their previous work and this one is not based on something widely known (to me anyway). I think I'll pass.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
lel

Unread post by lel »

It's shaping up to be similar to call of Cthulhu. I'm interested in seeing how the first few courts turn out, and shipping is pretty reasonable, so I've pledged for a deck.
cosmicsecret
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Not much to see so far from the artwork.
shipping is reasonable this time!
who knows...maybe they will add pledge levels where we can get the shadowrun deck Synthesis with a better shipping price? :D
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

cosmicsecret wrote:Not much to see so far from the artwork.
who knows...maybe they will add pledge levels where we can get the shadowrun deck Synthesis with a better shipping price? :D
I wouldnt be surprised if all the previous decks make a cameo in this campaign.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I pledged for the back design alone. Good stuff. 8-)
No matter where you go... there you are :|
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Sharpie wrote:I pledged for the back design alone. Good stuff. 8-)
Agreed, back design is very whimsical, damn, I get to use that word so infrequently.
cosmicsecret

I would be in for a 2 decks of NotW and 2 red&blue Synthesis decks combo :D
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Wow! You guys made this place a post for real positive feedback. No wonder no one is here or am I talking BS? Pretty sad when don't see a creators response. My question is when do you say?, "Hmmm after 5000 or is it after 6000 backers maybe I need some professional shipping help?"
RussellSprouts
Verloren

Unread post by Verloren »

volantangel wrote:
cosmicsecret wrote:Not much to see so far from the artwork.
I wouldnt be surprised if all the previous decks make a cameo in this campaign.
Stretch goal of 195k reached, which means White Rabbit will be re-printed.
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Holy Cow, I haven't been following this deck. What happened here. Nice cards and whatnot but I did not think it would blow up like this. Great success for the creator. I lifted my KS ban for the Uusi deck but I put it back on directly thereafter. I'll pass on these, maybe get one from the resellers.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

I think I've mentioned before that it's very, very clear that if you want to make a lot of money you just need to find an existing franchise and tap into it. They've done that a few times already and have had great success. Smart, for sure.

I'd be more excited about this if the back design of this deck wasn't basically identical to 3 of their other decks. Yes, the actual lines make different shapes, but in the end you have a solid color (and always more than one for those limited editions!) with a pencil-ey drawing on it. Disappointing.

Seems like the trend of playing cards being less of a purposefully designed object and more a billboard for nice illustration will continue.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

sprouts1115 wrote:Wow! You guys made this place a post for real positive feedback. No wonder no one is here or am I talking BS? Pretty sad when don't see a creators response. My question is when do you say?, "Hmmm after 5000 or is it after 6000 backers maybe I need some professional shipping help?"
LOL, do you even make sense to yourself?

They shipped their first two projects exactly on time and are professional. What more do you want?
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

Encarded wrote:I think I've mentioned before that it's very, very clear that if you want to make a lot of money you just need to find an existing franchise and tap into it. They've done that a few times already and have had great success. Smart, for sure.

I'd be more excited about this if the back design of this deck wasn't basically identical to 3 of their other decks. Yes, the actual lines make different shapes, but in the end you have a solid color (and always more than one for those limited editions!) with a pencil-ey drawing on it. Disappointing.

Seems like the trend of playing cards being less of a purposefully designed object and more a billboard for nice illustration will continue.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way about this deck. I've not picked up any of Albino's decks yet and the only one I'd consider is the Wonderland deck. Not to say they aren't talented artists, because they are, but the style doesn't appeal to me and since most of their decks share a lot of similarities I guess I won't be picking any up. Having said that, there is something to be said for drawing as many backers as they have - I just wonder how much of this is Albino's own reputation and how much is fans of the book.
Becky C

Unread post by Becky C »

As someone following the madness that is this campaign it is overwhelmingly fans of the book(s). I personnally love Shane's work so this is my third backing of Albino Dragon. From the comments being made, the fans of the books are quite invested in this deck of cards.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

I completely agree, Paul. Their (one) deck design is good, but they're really milking it for all it's worth.

Not that that hasn't happened before in the playing card business :roll:
- Tom

Check out my collection

sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

I liked all of their decks escept the first one! But the price and shipping was too high for me, so I didn't get any of them till now!
This deck looks really good and the court cards are comming very nice! So I took the shoot and pledged for 3 decks (1 limited, 1 unlimited and 1 white rabbit) all for $39 which I find very acceptable!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

By the way, what's the deal with having just loads of random add ons as stretch goals? That's just a way to generate more revenue and nothing more. No upgrading the deck or box to give something back to their backers, just more stuff to spend money on which could easily have been added from the get go.
- Tom

Check out my collection

sqmiller

Unread post by sqmiller »

I really like their artwork so decided to get their decks, I didn't get to back them until the Synthesis one though.

At a whooping $80, I managed to get one of their Green Cthulu, White Rabbit and both Synthesis decks with international shipping. Getting some of these ones too.

I like the White Rabbits the most out of all their decks so far.
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

I have backed all their decks so far... and i'm backing this one too. I don't *love* their art, but I like it enough to support it and they seem to have a great track record and deserve support.
That said.... it pains me that this deck has blown away the record so recently set by federal 52, which is just a stunning work of art! :cry:
Keep it Sizzlin'!
sqmiller

th4mo wrote:I have backed all their decks so far... and i'm backing this one too. I don't *love* their art, but I like it enough to support it and they seem to have a great track record and deserve support.
That said.... it pains me that this deck has blown away the record so recently set by federal 52, which is just a stunning work of art! :cry:
Now that you mention Federal 52, perhaps their next Kickstarter will do much better.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Well, this deck is clearly less a deck of cards and is more a collector item for fans of the book. This is what 80,000 fans of an author will do. The design/functionality of the deck probably matters to no one at this point. Over $300k already, and I'd guess it will probably hit $400k+.

One thing I find curious (and obviously clever on the part of the creators) is how it seems that all of the stretch goals are just putting faces of people on the deck, or making magnets. My guess is that they realized that with fans of the book pouring in unabated, it basically doesn't matter what "incentives" there are so they kept it to things they could easily do no matter what. They have to draw the art regardless, it takes no further effort to make it look like someone else.

Prepare yourselves for a new raft of card projects "based on the book/character/etc" as someone else is going to try to cash in on this.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Emmanuel
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Emmanuel »

Encarded wrote:
Prepare yourselves for a new raft of card projects "based on the book/character/etc" as someone else is going to try to cash in on this.
It's bound to happen, but the major hurdles are getting permission from a living author (or their estate) and building rapport and trust with them. Albino Dragon already had a fan in Patrick Rothfuss, but the same can't be said for copycats who think they'll get by on minimal effort.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Emmanuel wrote:
Encarded wrote:
It's bound to happen, but the major hurdles are getting permission from a living author (or their estate) and building rapport and trust with them. Albino Dragon already had a fan in Patrick Rothfuss, but the same can't be said for copycats who think they'll get by on minimal effort.
No doubt many of them will be made with little effort to maximize profits, so here's to hoping most of them gets shut down early and discourage further purely-for-profit projects (this is not in any way directed at Albino Dragon btw).
- Tom

Check out my collection

cosmicsecret

we could care less about that or do we?
I mean we can decide if we want to back/buy the deck the person/company comes up with or not.
the only thing we should care about is the pricing for custom decks... just my honest opinion ;)
4pmdesigner
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by 4pmdesigner »

Encarded wrote:Prepare yourselves for a new raft of card projects "based on the book/character/etc" as someone else is going to try to cash in on this.
Ditto. In all fairness we too considered a book to deck translation a few months ago but we decided against it because we just didn't feel right about it at the time. If it would be a success I felt it wouldn't be "ours". I like to feel people back our decks because we make them for card enthusiasts. Our deck was to be based off a Stephen King book though. I Produced/Directed an independent film from one of his stories already so I have access to Mr. King if need be. Could I cash in? Sure. Should I cash in? Now that's the question.
Creator of The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards
sqmiller

It's definitely a fan thing, I've been reading some comments about a deck for the second book or something like that called A Wise Man's Fear. I like Albino Dragon's current art style, it's really nice to see different people coming up with their own masterpieces. My favourite deck as of now is the Curator deck, they're just beautiful.