"SILK" by OathPlayingCards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: "SILK" by OathPlayingCards

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Lotrék is going to add more depth via a second gold foil... Here's to getting Patreon awards in 2023... maybe... 😂
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Bikefanatic
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

70 or 80 Euros will be the price for the Purple Royal Silk deck later today!
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Opened a few minutes early. I know there is no need to rush but I couldn't help myself and placed my order.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard

No rush indeed but I like to get shit done and tick those off the list. Order is in 😃.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

Oh, I cannot wait for this one. I like it better than the Patrons deck. Something so regal about purple and gold.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
GandalfTheWhite
Decks Owned: 56

Unread post by GandalfTheWhite »

Same, wanted to get this off my to do. Ordered right away! This is going to be my first Lotrek playing cards. Looking forward to it. The timeline says December. Of course knowing Lotrek's drive for perfection, this timeline is a moot point. Of course one could argue, December 2021 or 2022 or etc. etc. :mrgreen:

[I've also backed the tale of the tempest and will get the "Great Wyylenti" deck which would be done by Lotrek].
Harvonsgard

james001a wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:48 pmI like it better than the Patrons deck. Something so regal about purple and gold.
I'm kinda like that too. Purple or a dark navy are indeed more regal colours for me than red. But the colour cut and the lining of the tuck will make the patreon Royal Silk even more 🤤🤤 imo.

Maybe a poll for the colour next year? @Lotrék 🤔

Cardamon

Unread post by Cardamon »

I got two of em ordered. Also first lotrek deck. This is gonna be special
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

I like the cards, though the courts are standard. 80 euros is an absurd price for these though, and in my opinion not worth anywhere close to that. Those buying them obviously disagree, and I hope they enjoy them.
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Curious what your definition of "standard" courts is?
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Well, I was off for the day with my wife. It was nice not having to stop in the middle of something to try and grab some deck of cards that were sold out in 10 seconds. My order is in as well. The Patreon discount was nice as well...maybe I should order a couple more bricks to take more advantage of the discount??? Maybe not, they would probably through me in the Asylum. :ugthink:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
e10li

Unread post by e10li »

Bradius wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:57 pm Well, I was off for the day with my wife. It was nice not having to stop in the middle of something to try and grab some deck of cards that were sold out in 10 seconds. My order is in as well. The Patreon discount was nice as well...maybe I should order a couple more bricks to take more advantage of the discount??? Maybe not, they would probably through me in the Asylum. :ugthink:
Out of curiosity, how much was the Patreon discount?
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

10 euro
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Here's some additional info. In typical Lotrek style, he changed from just 1 foil to 2 gold foils. In his own words
When looking at various samples we printed for Royal Silk, a thought kept coming: A second gold foil would make this deck even more awesome, adding a multi layer effect with the light playing with so many different sheen levels! You know that I cannot resist the temptation to get in trouble and Melina has given up trying to talk some reason into me, so it's decided: Yes, NOG stands for Nothing, only Gold, except that we're talking about two different gold foils!

So, between showing off virtuosity in designing everything with one foil and adding Royal brilliance to the deck, we decided to do both! With subtle touches of shiny gold on a canvas of semi-gloss gold foil the deck will be worthy of Royalties and Patrons!
Here's the comparison between the single and double foil. For those who know how poorly photos reflect what decks like Lotrek's really look like in your hand, this promises to be even better than it looks.

lotrek silk.jpg
Harvonsgard

Adamthinks wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:39 pm ... though the courts are standard.
TF what❔

Entaro
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Entaro »

They look great so I had to pick one up but man that price point 😵
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

If you are lucky enough to have an Oath GOG you will get a good idea of how the different gold foil should look. It is a lot more subtle than say a gold and silver foil combination, but for this application, I think the subtle difference will really be nice.

Enraro, I feel your pain. A multi-foil deck from Lotrek is never going to be cheap due to the manufacturing complexity and cost. As other decks go up in cost and his stay in the same general range, a lot of other premium/limited/gilded/etc decks are approaching and exceeding this deck. Anyway, I am sure you will be really happy with the deck in hand.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Harvonsgard

Same price as the OGs that came out years ago and now double foil instead of one makes it a no-🧠er for me.
Like Bradius said other decks are due to inflation approaching this or due to scarcity hype (looking at $250 gilded Monte Carlo Cherries - lmfao!) even exceding this price tag. I vividly remember the times when I was in the is it worth the price tag camp as well, haha.

PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

GOT to love that Patron discount. The way I see it, my Patreon pledge is a way to support an artist, nothing more. I kinda see it as giving back to someone who has contributed greatly to the custom playing industry that I hold so dear. Yes, I enjoy the rewards, but I'd give a little monthly cash expecting nothing in return if it meant allowing what I consider to be the top dawg to let his creativity flow.

BUT, since 2 out of every 3 Lotrek designs fit my fancy anyway (which is to say that I'd buy them whether a Patron or not), that 10E off the list price is a very nice touch. Grazie.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Adamthinks wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:39 pm I like the cards, though the courts are standard. 80 euros is an absurd price for these though, and in my opinion not worth anywhere close to that.
i get both sentiments here. although i do not think Lotrek courts are standard, there are many different personal opinions on that. there are many, many decks out there that say they have custom courts that i consider standard. while technically they may be custom because one or more courts are holding a different item or the clothes have different details in them, pasting a different head on standard bodies, etc; if they look pretty much standard i will consider them and call them standard. everyone has their own threshold.

As for price, they are usually beyond what im willing to spend for them as well. i would not call it absurd considering the amount of technical design and the special processes that usually goes into his decks. the designs just are usually not my style. absurd would definitely be the $250 cherries that came out recently or any price over free for fontaines, nocs, anyone :lol: . i do have a couple of Lotrek's less expensive decks like The Entertainer though. i like the design on those enough to make the slightly higher than normal price worth it.
Harvonsgard

If those are standard courts then all decks in the world have standard courts and the back design of Silk is a Riderback, lol.

AF67EF80-349D-4CEC-8153-71BE776BBACF.jpeg

STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

i dont see any difference :P
Harvonsgard

Me neither

Entaro
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Entaro »

checks out
Attachments
Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (455.75 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Harvonsgard

It's official then. Lotrék is scamming people by selling Riderbacks as his own creation 😱. How dare you Lotrék! HOW DARE YOU!

Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

If Lotrek did a full foiled Rider Back in his style, I'd buy it.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Hi all,

As I got to write this update, I saw how the Royal Silk release announcement was ending:

"Estimated delivery is mid December.
This year.
Hopefully..."

Ha! As if I knew it... Unfortunately while I was ready to be in time for once, we had a horrendous delay in delivery of the coating I use as a substrate for the foil. The factory in Germany was supposed to send it 10 November and they finally sent it 5 December! This got us in the middle of the pre-Christmas season where all printers and workshops are packed with loads of urgent work. Subsequently, although we have begun production more than two weeks ago, we proceed very slowly. We have actually had only three printing sessions so far! Based on that, my estimation is that the decks will be ready around mid January.

Sorry about that but it's peanuts, considering my past dreadful delays...

And this is just all about the bad news. The good news is that while waiting for the coating, I didn't rest. Don't leave me with unprinted, finished artwork. I'll start making changes and changes and changes. But for the better! I went through all cards and reconsidered the use of the two foils. I can say that I'm happy and proud of the result. The depth and sheen created now is just amazing and far richer than the initial plan.

Check out those sweet pictures:

As always, the photos don't do any justice to the cards and we're confident that you will LOVE them!

Our best wishes for a Happy New Year with lot of love, beauty and amazing decks. We're definitely working for the last one!

Lotrek and Melina
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard

D78A7101-B038-4280-833D-18F8560BFDE5.jpeg
D78A7101-B038-4280-833D-18F8560BFDE5.jpeg (218.64 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
Printing done. Now onto varnishing... Seems like we'll get these before 2023.

rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

As long as there are no problems during the varnishing stage. Or the cutting stage. Or the boxing stage.

Or the shipping stage.

Fingers crossed!
This space intentionally left blank.