2021 52 Plus Joker Club Deck by Stockholm17

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
steampunk52

Re: 2021 52 Plus Joker Club Deck by Stockholm17

Unread post by steampunk52 »

The collector's market side of this is an interesting thought exercise to me. If the second printing indeed eventually opens up to all members with a 1 deck limit, with 500 decks and over 600 members, in theory, not all members (that want one) can secure the second printing and those that do can buy, at most, one deck. Would a larger percentage of 2nd print decks get opened, leading to fewer sealed second printings making it to the secondary market and does this in turn increase its value or the first print? Are folks most likely to get the second print also less likely to open?

The notion of 'value' connected to unopened decks is interesting to me. I am one that tends to be a buy two - open one collector, and when I have one of something, I struggle to open it because I know it will impact future value, even though I may have no plans to sell it. I feel like its irrational, I know its irrational, but I do it anyway. LOL
Daisho
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Six Foot Five Green
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by Daisho »

Eric Lee wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:47 pm
Daisho wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:44 am You almost couldn't give the decks away. I guess they did not anticipate the huge surge when they attached Gio's name to it this year. Not to mention a spike in collectors.
Lorenzo you mean? Still, would like to see Gio's take on that deck though. :D
I guess I should have had my coffee before posting. Not the first time I mixed words, though.

When I was serving in the Marines (in the before "card-swipe machines at every store" times, aka 2002-2003). I went to buy a 12-pack of beer, which was around $15 at the time. This poor 18 or 19 year-old girl, 5'6" at best, and 90 pounds soaking wet, rung me up (I am 6'0", and was a solid 210 pounds at the time). I looked at my wallet and saw I only had a $100 bill. So I meant to politely ask, "I'm sorry, miss. It seems I only have a $100 bill, and your sign states 'Cashiers only carry $50.' Is there any chance you would have enough cash on-hand to give me change for $100?" Instead, I was exhausted and agitated. So the actual words that came out with a slightly aggressively tone as I looked her straight in the eyes was, "How much money you got in the register?"

Words matter.

But, back to the topic on hand, I am glad 52+J are trying to rectify the situation. I guess part of me is excited that the whole situation could be seen as representative of more and more collectors enjoying the hobby. I even found out there is another collector in one my fantasy football leagues, though he mainly sticks to Ellusionist and T11 decks. 5 or 6 years ago, when I started collecting, I remember having to explain to "please package with care, I actually collect decks" to some eBay sellers, as if it wasn't a given considering I just bought a deck from them. I missed Lorenzo's HOTRS Kickstarter, but was still able to buy a Gatekeeper bundle on Backerkit. I believe today, that same bundle would have been sold-out in less than five minutes. And I have no doubt that the "Vivid Kingdoms" Kickstarter is going to introduce a whole new set of collectors in the near future.

If collecting decks was a stock, Jim Cramer would be smashing that "Buy" button with a hammer.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
This is me, though I really should update me.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Daisho wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:34 am If collecting decks was a stock, Jim Cramer would be smashing that "Buy" button with a hammer.
So, you're saying the bubble is gonna burst any time now? :ugthink:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
canogie

Unread post by canogie »

Hopefully we'll get some timely notification as to when they will put them up on the site
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

52+J seems to be in really great hands with Lee Asher in charge :D

EDIT: To be clear this is genuine, I met Lee for all of five minutes a few years ago and he was super kind and helpful

(not sure how I ended up coming off as sarcastic :oops: )
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

As someone who did get the deck during the initial release, I am glad that it is being reprinted for members that missed the initial sale. I do think member's should have a reasonable shot to get at least one club deck each year. If there are extras, then members can pick them up after members have a shot to get them. The club is changing, but we have leaders that have their hearts and heads in the right place. Collectors are an odd group. No doubt about it. Bravo Lee and the other leaders that worked hard to find a new solution. Also, thanks EPCC for running another 500 club decks.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

hsbc wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:20 pm 52+J seems to be in really great hands with Lee Asher in charge :D
I'm not sure what that's all about. (I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or actually praising him.)

Last year's club deck was created by Uusi. That didn't sell out.

The year before was Lotrek. That didn't sell out.

Every single designer of the 52+J club deck has been a highly regarded and popular playing card designer. Each of these decks are quite tasty. And yet, the demand this year has defied the performance of all those previous years.

Lee and his board have come up with a decent enough solution to difficult situation. YMMV, of course.
This space intentionally left blank.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

rousselle wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:02 pmactually praising him
That one :ugdance:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
EvilDuncan
White Whale: Heretic Gran Riserva S + Sb

Unread post by EvilDuncan »

rousselle wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:02 pm Last year's club deck was created by Uusi. That didn't sell out.

The year before was Lotrek. That didn't sell out.

Every single designer of the 52+J club deck has been a highly regarded and popular playing card designer. Each of these decks are quite tasty. And yet, the demand this year has defied the performance of all those previous years.
I think the difference is that while Uusi and Lotrek are certainly highly regarded and popular playing card designers, they can't approach Lorenzo's popularity, which has absolutely skyrocketed in the past year or so. I think Lorenzo has a bit more mainstream appeal than the other two, though I don't collect Lotrek, so I can't speak too much about him. On top of that, card collecting has grown a lot during the same time period. I think if almost any other designer had done the design, I think we would be in a very different position right now.

This is all just from my perspective. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong. I don't know.
I've spent way more than I care to admit on playing cards, but I'll still buy just about anything that Lorenzo, Jackson, or Gio make.
aardvarkgod

Unread post by aardvarkgod »

So, they are now emailing anyone that ordered more than 6 decks to voluntarily reduce their order down to 6. This is in addition to them producing the add'l 500 un-numbered decks...
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

aardvarkgod wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:54 pm So, they are now emailing anyone that ordered more than 6 decks to voluntarily reduce their order down to 6. This is in addition to them producing the add'l 500 un-numbered decks...
Interesting, I wonder how many of those will voluntarily do this and how many decks this will free up.
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

Yes, I'm a completionist, though that is becoming increasing difficult in this hobby :D
I have to say, once I gave up on being a completionist my life became much less stressful! I learned this by trying to be one with Kings Wild and just realizing I could not do it. Just collect what you like. :D
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
Sir Toddalot
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Sir Toddalot »

aardvarkgod wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:54 pm So, they are now emailing anyone that ordered more than 6 decks to voluntarily reduce their order down to 6. This is in addition to them producing the add'l 500 un-numbered decks...
This kinda puts me in a pickle, since I promised 6 decks to people. :oops:
“An open mind is like to an open wound, vulnerable to poison. Liable to fester. Apt to give its owner only pain.”

-Sand Dan Glokta, The First Law
GandalfTheWhite
Decks Owned: 56

Unread post by GandalfTheWhite »

Question to you folks here. So if I join 52 Plus Joker Club today, would I be eligible to get one of the 500 reprint when it gets released? Also, does anyone know when are they releasing these? Thanks!
Entaro
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Entaro »

I'm glad they're adding more for those who missed it, seems like the only reasonable thing to do. I think the talk over if these unsealed ones are worth more because it was a smaller run is weird... Like they'll be the same exact deck but no sticker lol like I get it, but still seems weird lol also not sure how I feel about them asking people to reduce their order. Like you let them buy it why should they now feel bad about it and guilted into returning it?
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

GandalfTheWhite wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:22 pm Question to you folks here. So if I join 52 Plus Joker Club today, would I be eligible to get one of the 500 reprint when it gets released? Also, does anyone know when are they releasing these? Thanks!
i am not sure. However, if you are only joining for the club deck, that really isn't the best reason to join (but I do understand if it is your sole or main reason. Blighted as I am with the playing card collection illness). If you join, I really think you will enjoy their printed and online materials, as well as helping support this club grow its ability to expand our playing card knowledge and community.

If it is really important, you can reach out to them. Hopefully they can respond to you, but this whole situation has put a strain on them, with a lot of extra hours to work through the problem and lots of extra communications.

I am hopeful that they will be able to have enough remaining decks so all members can get them, even those that join after the initial sale. However, if we have like 200 new members join now, that might be a problem. My guess is it depends, and don't be upset if they put a priority on existing members rather than new members that join after the decks went on sale the first time. I know they want all members to get club decks. I was really lucky when I joined a few years ago. They still had a few club decks going all the way back to 2014, so I was able to get one each of several of the older club decks. I think I am missing a few of the first club decks though. The 2020 club deck by Uusi was available last I looked. I know they sold several of them during this 2021 club deck sale, so I don't know how many of those still remain. All of the other prior year club decks are now sold out.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Entaro wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:35 pm Like they'll be the same exact deck but no sticker
There will be a seal but it won't be numbered.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Bradius wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:32 pm
GandalfTheWhite wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:22 pm Question to you folks here. So if I join 52 Plus Joker Club today, would I be eligible to get one of the 500 reprint when it gets released? Also, does anyone know when are they releasing these? Thanks!
i am not sure. However, if you are only joining for the club deck, that really isn't the best reason to join (but I do understand if it is your sole or main reason. Blighted as I am with the playing card collection illness). If you join, I really think you will enjoy their printed and online materials, as well as helping support this club grow its ability to expand our playing card knowledge and community.

If it is really important, you can reach out to them. Hopefully they can respond to you, but this whole situation has put a strain on them, with a lot of extra hours to work through the problem and lots of extra communications.

I am hopeful that they will be able to have enough remaining decks so all members can get them, even those that join after the initial sale. However, if we have like 200 new members join now, that might be a problem. My guess is it depends, and don't be upset if they put a priority on existing members rather than new members that join after the decks went on sale the first time. I know they want all members to get club decks. I was really lucky when I joined a few years ago. They still had a few club decks going all the way back to 2014, so I was able to get one each of several of the older club decks. I think I am missing a few of the first club decks though. The 2020 club deck by Uusi was available last I looked. I know they sold several of them during this 2021 club deck sale, so I don't know how many of those still remain. All of the other prior year club decks are now sold out.
52+J Club provides value even without the club deck on offer. The two magazines are really good, Ask Alexander Archives provide some great reference material. The overall value is amazing. These are jsut my views, you can check with others too @GandalfTheWhite.
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Sir Toddalot wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:34 pm
This kinda puts me in a pickle, since I promised 6 decks to people. :oops:
well, it doesn't sound like it is required to reduce down to 6. if you are already using your extras to help out other folks, i wouldn't feel guilty about not choosing to reduce your order to 6.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I had ordered 9 decks (I have ordered multiple decks for the past three years, so nothing out of the ordinary for me actually). Of course I reduced my order to 6. Given this situation, I think those that ordered more than six should honor the request and allow more other members get a chance at the deck.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

So if people reduce the decks they already purchased, it'll be more than 500 decks available? A mixture of #1-#999 decks plus the 500?
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I doubt there were a lot of people between six decks and 3 bricks. My guess is that as they were looking at the orders, the group over six decks was an outlier, and they asked them to drop their orders to six. It will hopefully bring a few more decks available for members. So, yes, there will be some of the original decks available at the next sale in all likelihood. How they will handle it, I don't know. My guess it will be random assignment.
canogie

Unread post by canogie »

still I think buying 3 bricks is a bit excessive, I like certain decks for sure, but not 3 bricks of them. The most I have of one is a brick and even that can be too much.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I actually have a few orders of over three bricks, but that includes all the decks in a campaign combined. Off the top of my head only three times: House of the Rising Spade - 5 bricks combined. The Order (by Giovanni) - just over 3 bricks. Eye of the Ocean - 3 bricks. That said, I think anything over a half brick of this club deck is excessive and anything over 13 decks is getting a bit insane for a single collector. That said, a few of us like myself can get ecessive/insane from time to time. :uggrin:
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

No doubt that crazy squirrel avatar has been justly earned :ugking:
aardvarkgod

Unread post by aardvarkgod »

This is the first time I ever ordered an excess of decks - I ordered 10. Normally, I get 3 decks (one to open, one to keep, one to sell) but I have yet to ever sell/trade a deck. I primarily got a few extra to be able to trade or sell to others who couldn't get the deck (non-members, UK folks) but I acquiesced to the request to reduce my order to 6 decks. I'm still torn on whether I feel this is the right move by 52+J, but it does serve to benefit the most people to comply.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

The request is kinda weird from my pov but asking never hurts. It's not like they force anyone to drop decks and I wouldn't feel guilty to say no either. Why would you?
Kudos for Lee and the gang trying their best to fix the situation.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Daisho
White Whale: Six Foot Five Green

Unread post by Daisho »

If anyone does feel guilty about getting more than six, I am still more than happy to help alleviate that via PayPal.
This is me, though I really should update me.
ancol

Unread post by ancol »

I tried to join 52+J last year but Paypal rejected my payment, probably because I'm in Asia.

If anyone is lucky enough to snatch multiple decks, I'd be interested in getting one. Thanks! :)
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

ancol wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:57 pm I tried to join 52+J last year but Paypal rejected my payment, probably because I'm in Asia.

If anyone is lucky enough to snatch multiple decks, I'd be interested in getting one. Thanks! :)

Which part of Asia are you in? There's a few of us from South East Asia and I've seldom seen any problems with Paypal .

Also would like to get 1 as well if anyone with extra are willing to part with either version of the deck.