Visions from Wounded Corner (designed by Arcadia)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Visions from Wounded Corner (designed by Arcadia)

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Coming to Kickstarter at the end of the month.

5925AFDC-7539-4FF9-AE5F-298E6F3CDFF0.jpeg
17D01540-1177-4257-AD50-E63EFB97E081.jpeg
17D01540-1177-4257-AD50-E63EFB97E081.jpeg (377.56 KiB) Viewed 18473 times
309ED26F-4796-42FC-B78A-2D10849DAF05.jpeg
309ED26F-4796-42FC-B78A-2D10849DAF05.jpeg (434.79 KiB) Viewed 18473 times
630613EF-6CD7-497A-BAD2-99E6DEFF5E53.jpeg
630613EF-6CD7-497A-BAD2-99E6DEFF5E53.jpeg (176.97 KiB) Viewed 18473 times
E3905BF8-8832-49CF-9839-6058DE744C81.jpeg
E3905BF8-8832-49CF-9839-6058DE744C81.jpeg (262.29 KiB) Viewed 18473 times
6521D4A8-103E-4508-B4D8-27E0471789F6.jpeg
6521D4A8-103E-4508-B4D8-27E0471789F6.jpeg (488.04 KiB) Viewed 18473 times
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Strag
Collector: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Re: Visions by woundedcorner (designed by Arcadia)

Unread post by Strag »

Something about the art style just doesn't click for me. Feels a bit flat. Maybe if there was foil on some of the faces it might work (the red and gold circles for example). Dunno.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Great design work here, but I agree, the illustration style is not quite my cup of tea. The courts are a little too... cartoon-ish for my tastes.

Still, that's just a point of personal preference. In general, I love the work that Arcadia does, and they really do have a keen eye for design. While I will likely pass on this particular project, I expect it to do well, and I look forward to their next effort! (I'll also keep watching this one, in case they decide to review their court illustrations...)
This space intentionally left blank.
macstrat

Unread post by macstrat »

I love the illustrations separately, but they dont match with each other. like the aces are a different style from the courts and its throwing me off a bit.
Entaro
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Entaro »

Man harsh room lol I'm very excited for these, picked up the prototype when they went on sale
Harvonsgard

macstrat wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:39 pm like the aces are a different style from the courts and its throwing me off a bit.
You're not alone there. That was my first thought seeing the aces.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
sjrosenfield

VISIONS PLAYING CARDS is finally here. Would love to know your thoughts...

Unread post by sjrosenfield »

My first deck is finally ready to go live. I would love to know what you guys think. Share your thoughts.

If you dig it and want to be notified click the link below. It goes live on March 30th on Kickstarter.

Notify link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wo ... e-no-other

Steve
woundedcorner.com
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.37.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.40.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.40.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.40.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.41.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.41.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.41.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 11.00.34 AM.png
Romeril
Decks Owned: 272

Re: VISIONS PLAYING CARDS is finally here. Would love to know your thoughts...

Unread post by Romeril »

That AoS is awesome!! Fantastic photography by the way!!
sjrosenfield

Romeril wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:31 pm That AoS is awesome!! Fantastic photography by the way!!
haha thank you so much my good man
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

I like these very much, with the exception of the Wounded Corner branding on the tuck.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
Harvonsgard

sjrosenfield

james001a wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:28 pm I like these very much, with the exception of the Wounded Corner branding on the tuck.
Thanks for input.. I appreciate you taking a look
sjrosenfield

Strag wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:07 pm Something about the art style just doesn't click for me. Feels a bit flat. Maybe if there was foil on some of the faces it might work (the red and gold circles for example). Dunno.
Thank you so much for your input. It's definitely not for everyone and hopefully the full foil deck will be unlocked during the stretch goal
sjrosenfield

rousselle wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:06 pm Great design work here, but I agree, the illustration style is not quite my cup of tea. The courts are a little too... cartoon-ish for my tastes.

Still, that's just a point of personal preference. In general, I love the work that Arcadia does, and they really do have a keen eye for design. While I will likely pass on this particular project, I expect it to do well, and I look forward to their next effort! (I'll also keep watching this one, in case they decide to review their court illustrations...)
thank you for your input.. I appreciate you taking the time. Definitely not for everyone. The courts will definitely be in this style.
sjrosenfield

macstrat wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:39 pm I love the illustrations separately, but they dont match with each other. like the aces are a different style from the courts and its throwing me off a bit.
Thanks for your input. Appreciate you taking the time. The aces arent supposed to match the court cards on this. All the aces match and they go with the story of the courts. The whole picture will make sense ones the story is read. These images are definitely of the earlier renditions. The aces have had most of the shading pulled from them as they were a lot different than the courts stolid line work. So they are more the same tyle now still a bit different but they stand alone from the courts.
sjrosenfield

Entaro wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:22 pm Man harsh room lol I'm very excited for these, picked up the prototype when they went on sale
Thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it and hope you dig the prototype. We definitely changed a few things but overall it will be the same.
sjrosenfield

Harvonsgard wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:17 pm
macstrat wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:39 pm like the aces are a different style from the courts and its throwing me off a bit.
You're not alone there. That was my first thought seeing the aces.
Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it. The aces arent supposed to match the court cards on this. All the aces match and they go with the story of the courts. The whole picture will make sense ones the story is read. These images are definitely of the earlier renditions. The aces have had most of the shading pulled from them as they were a lot different than the courts stolid line work. So they are more the same tyle now still a bit different but they stand alone from the courts.
sjrosenfield

sjrosenfield wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 pm
james001a wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:28 pm I like these very much, with the exception of the Wounded Corner branding on the tuck.
Thanks for input.. I appreciate you taking a look
thanks for sharing
traaaf

Unread post by traaaf »

Yeah, that Ace is really nice but I find the court card style pretty meh.
sjrosenfield

traaaf wrote: ↑Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:59 am Yeah, that Ace is really nice but I find the court card style pretty meh.
thanks for checking it out
Harvonsgard

I took a closer look and first of all congrats on your deck Steve.
I'd say it's overall a very nice deck but I guess that is what you get from working with Christian Ellingstad, haha.
I'm unisono with Allan that the courts are too comicy for me aswell. A more refined/sophisticated look would suit the deck much better imo.
I'm glad to read that you reworked the aces to make them a little closer to the courts. I would love to hear the reasoning/perspective behind the intentional break in regards to artstyle.
The - let's call it both-ways diptych joker - is a very nice touch; I like that idea a lot and it's the first time I've seen it been done.
That ace of space - as Matt perfectly mentioned above - is very nice.

For the tuck, I have a bit of diffraction foil fatigue, not gonna lie but I'd say for Visions it is fitting. What I would have done differently are two things: 1. is I would have written by Wounded Corner - just a small thing that rounds it up for me though. Secondly speaking of rounded; from top to bottom you have Playing Cards in an arc, Visions diagonally and Wounded Corner horizontally; I'd do Wounded Corner in an arc, too. ( \ ) makes more sense aesthetically for me.

The card back is nice, classic. I would have wished for a tad more ornate but minimalism is en vogue currently so πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ. The teal/turquoise is nice. Silver/platinum is always meh for me, especially when the edges become silver gilded as well but that's a matter of personal taste, too.

TL;DR: Not for me but a good deck that will find a lot of fans.

Best of success for the campaign Steve and already break a leg for the production because they sure will fund 🦾.

sjrosenfield

Harvonsgard wrote: ↑Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:59 pm I took a closer look and first of all congrats on your deck Steve.
I'd say it's overall a very nice deck but I guess that is what you get from working with Christian Ellingstad, haha.
I'm unisono with Allan that the courts are too comicy for me aswell. A more refined/sophisticated look would suit the deck much better imo.
I'm glad to read that you reworked the aces to make them a little closer to the courts. I would love to hear the reasoning/perspective behind the intentional break in regards to artstyle.
The - let's call it both-ways diptych joker - is a very nice touch; I like that idea a lot and it's the first time I've seen it been done.
That ace of space - as Matt perfectly mentioned above - is very nice.

For the tuck, I have a bit of diffraction foil fatigue, not gonna lie but I'd say for Visions it is fitting. What I would have done differently are two things: 1. is I would have written by Wounded Corner - just a small thing that rounds it up for me though. Secondly speaking of rounded; from top to bottom you have Playing Cards in an arc, Visions diagonally and Wounded Corner horizontally; I'd do Wounded Corner in an arc, too. ( \ ) makes more sense aesthetically for me.

The card back is nice, classic. I would have wished for a tad more ornate but minimalism is en vogue currently so πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ. The teal/turquoise is nice. Silver/platinum is always meh for me, especially when the edges become silver gilded as well but that's a matter of personal taste, too.

TL;DR: Not for me but a good deck that will find a lot of fans.

Best of success for the campaign Steve and already break a leg for the production because they sure will fund 🦾.

Thanks for the words Harvonsgard. I appreciate the support and confidence. I hope it is well recieved.

There are definitely many design aspects of the deck that people would think would look better if done differently, and that's totally ok and understandable based on so many opinions and styles. The tuck box made its rounds through many designers in the community before I ever shared it, and they all said they wouldn't change a thing on it. Just minor things that "normal" people would never notice. There is a law around design that those who do not design don't understand. So that's why designers do things the way they do. lol

As for the difference in style ont he courts and aces? I asusme you mean more shaded elements in the aces and none in the courts? I think because originally the aces were designed to not have color on them and the shading showed more depth in the design. The final aces have very little shading on them.

Thanks again for your time
Harvonsgard

sjrosenfield wrote: ↑Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:17 pmThere is a law around design that those who do not design don't understand. So that's why designers do things the way they do. lol
2011A0D1-639D-425F-8F80-BF73940DE44E.jpeg
2011A0D1-639D-425F-8F80-BF73940DE44E.jpeg (36.99 KiB) Viewed 17966 times
πŸ˜ƒ

Entaro
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Entaro »

Anyone happen to see if Steve set a time for release on this?
Harvonsgard

If you use instagram just ask him there, he is pretty open to clarify questions there.

masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

I'm afraid I must say that I also see a difference in style between aces and courts. And I would really love to see the deck more in the style of the aces. I don't know how to say it but those aces looks antique and traditional, but those courts look like from a kids book. They just don't match. Love those aces by the way...so beautiful! Love the tuck case and card backs as well. I'm on the fence here but probably will grab some in the end.
Remember Earth clearly.
Stud722

Unread post by Stud722 »

masagin303 wrote: ↑Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:44 pm I'm afraid I must say that I also see a difference in style between aces and courts. And I would really love to see the deck more in the style of the aces. I don't know how to say it but those aces looks antique and traditional, but those courts look like from a kids book. They just don't match. Love those aces by the way...so beautiful! Love the tuck case and card backs as well. I'm on the fence here but probably will grab some in the end.
I tend to agree. When I saw the tuck, I had high hopes. When I saw the back design, I had high hopes. The aces really look great if you ask me. I really enjoy the art on them and the vibe of them. The court cards on the other hand, just not what I was hoping for. The art does seem almost low budget kids book art or something. It is hard to describe. I do enjoy Deckin' Around shows and was really interested in backing this project, but seeing that the courts do not really match the aces and rest of the deck and that there will not be any early bird specials, not so sure I will be backing.
Best of luck with this deck, I am sure that there are many others that enjoy the style and art. I will look forward to the next deck.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I like these a lot. But I don't "$24 for 1 deck, shipped" like them. Not even close.
Harvonsgard

Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Very nice project & i hope it reaches all strech goals, backed it a few minutes after launch.
Secret hint: check the strech goal for the 3rd deck :P