Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms: New Premium Tuck Boxes

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Eric Lee
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Re: Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms

Unread post by Eric Lee »

jon_bg wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:14 pm I see. We are going to at least get some more quotes to see what's possible before deciding to stick with USPCC. :-)
USPCC should be your 1st choice. That's a dealbreaker for alot of folks. Cartamundi as well. However EPCC, LPCC are both an acceptable 2nd choice by many. We know it's not as good as the big 2, but are adequate depending the type of deck you're makng. Since this isn't a cardistry deck, it shouldn't be such a dealbreaker for that many.

WJPC and MPC have made big improvements in their stocks and finishes if the designer knows which ones to use. They've quickly overtaken NPCC in terms of overall quality. MPC's top range of stock and finish are close, if not, equal to EPCC/LPCC in handling and quality. It can even give USPCC and Carta a good fight as well, MPC still has a negative connotation amongst less informed collectors as their new stock/finish is just 1 year in the market.

NPCC is good for art decks and makes great tuck boxes. They'll do fulfillment for you as well.

That should be a basic summary of the main printers used here.
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

Thank you very much for all the extra detailed info! We will be printing the cards through USPCC. We got a quote from GW for printing tuck boxes, and it was within the realm of possibility to do embossing (USPCC was not feasible). I actually followed up to ask about the reduction in USPCC printing without tuck boxes, but haven't heard back yet. So, if it's still $0.50-$0.75 off, that could be pretty awesome. If we were lucky enough to hit the 2500/deck volume, then a stretch goal for embossing and the other tuck box improvements could be within reach.

We changed the wording on our campaign page to separate the printing of the cards from the printing of the tuck boxes, so that we can leave our options open for printing everything through USPCC, or using the USPCC/GW combination.

I'm currently working on a complete revamp of our pricing due to receiving updated pricing for AoP's fulfillment. I received a quote from GW for fulfillment as well, and for international they are basically the same +/- a dollar or two here and there. We'll be sticking to AoP not just because of similar prices, but because they have helped me a lot and I'm already committed to them for International shipping. I haven't heard of Cartamundi, but will at least look into it.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

jon_bg wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:41 pm Thank you very much for all the extra detailed info! We will be printing the cards through USPCC. We got a quote from GW for printing tuck boxes, and it was within the realm of possibility to do embossing (USPCC was not feasible). I actually followed up to ask about the reduction in USPCC printing without tuck boxes, but haven't heard back yet. So, if it's still $0.50-$0.75 off, that could be pretty awesome. If we were lucky enough to hit the 2500/deck volume, then a stretch goal for embossing and the other tuck box improvements could be within reach.
Contact Nicole Singson (USPCC) and ask for a quote without boxes. In fact, it will be a blank box. For 2500 decks, it's $0.43 difference if their prices are still the same. I always prefer to work with USPCC directly, so I don't know if such prices available through Gamblers (if they print your deck).
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Bump. Did I imagine this was launching tomorrow 7/21?
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
KingfisherZero

Unread post by KingfisherZero »

Wow...this one is RIGHT up my alley. My question is more about the art book. Is it an actual hardback? Because it's on the pricey side compared to the small booklet that has come with other campaigns.
AKA "The Card Guy"

Subscribe for deck reviews galore! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Y-CG ... 7GFXMmULWA

IG: @TheCardGuyYT
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
Ice_Panda
White Whale: Golden Oath [Blue]
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Ice_Panda »

Good luck on your KS! Its a pass for me. Not my style personally. If the whole deck were the undead/spades I would be in. But I do hope you guys knock it out of the park like you are hoping!
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

Wow! Thanks everybody. I was going to add a new post to announce the launch this morning, but it looks like you beat me to the punch. :D
KingfisherZero wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 pm My question is more about the art book. Is it an actual hardback? Because it's on the pricey side compared to the small booklet that has come with other campaigns.
The Art Book is currently going to be an 8" x 10" softcover, probably around 60 pages. (We'll edit the campaign page to say the size). Going to a hard cover is a stretch goal that we are keeping in our back pocket for now.
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

Thank you everybody for helping us reach the base funding goal! It happened in just under 5 hours, with about 126 backers. We're really hoping we get to reach the stretch goals as well. :-)
Ice_Panda
White Whale: Golden Oath [Blue]
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Ice_Panda »

congrats! you guys are crushing it!
marman
White Whale: Venexiana Gold Special LTD Ed
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by marman »

Backed 2+2
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Those jokers are seriously cute, and I really enjoy the art style, I'll be saving it to see if I have the funds in the last 48 hours.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Great to see a great set funded 🍾!
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
jon_bg

Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms: New Premium Tuck Boxes

Unread post by jon_bg »

Hi everybody,
Wanted to share that we've announced a new stretch goal for the Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms kickstarter.

The details about the new stretch goal can be found in campaign update #8. I'll be happy to answer questions in this forum as well.

Some of you may be interested to know that through a survey of our backers we found that 65% preferred the 4-color indices vs. 22% preferring the red/black indices and 13% had no preference (from about 145 people survey responses). So, crazy as it may be to do 4 different print runs through USPCC, we can do it if we reach that stretch goal.

The mock up of the tuck boxes in the following image shows what the standard decks will be like without foil and embossing. We'll be getting a photo of the new premium tuck boxes hopefully within a week, and I'll post it here when we get the photo.

supernova
White Whale: Standard Oath GoG

Re: Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms: New Premium Tuck Boxes

Unread post by supernova »

jon_bg wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm Hi everybody,
Wanted to share that we've announced a new stretch goal for the Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms kickstarter.

The details about the new stretch goal can be found in campaign update #8. I'll be happy to answer questions in this forum as well.

Some of you may be interested to know that through a survey of our backers we found that 65% preferred the 4-color indices vs. 22% preferring the red/black indices and 13% had no preference (from about 145 people survey responses). So, crazy as it may be to do 4 different print runs through USPCC, we can do it if we reach that stretch goal.

The mock up of the tuck boxes in the following image shows what the standard decks will be like without foil and embossing. We'll be getting a photo of the new premium tuck boxes hopefully within a week, and I'll post it here when we get the photo.

Personally, I thought you could have had a more attainable stretch goal ($50k is shy of 2x current funding at $29k, or 667% of original goal) by upgrading all decks to 4 colored pips, ie print only 2 runs with USPCC.

Then u can charge more for upgrades tuck box, or even gilding which doesn’t require you to go back to USPCC.

My two cents.
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

@supernova ... We decided we couldn't switch everything to 4-color indices or we'd have 22% of the people really mad at us for changing it (not to mention all the photos and images we've created over the past month that show the red/black indices). The goal could have been more attainable if we stuck with red/black and only added an upgrade for the premium tuck boxes. But we really love the 4-color idea. I've been playing some games with my family this past week using the prototype cards and I just can't stop thinking about how cool it would be to have the 4-color indices.

In the survey about the red/black indices or the 4-color indices, I also asked how strongly they felt about their preference, and on a scale of 1-7 (7 being extremely important), not surprisingly both groups felt very strongly (average around 6) about their preference for either red/black or 4-color.

I personally really want both designs because I play some games that use the red/black (Canasta, Hand-and-Foot, Solitaire) and others that will be great to play with the 4-color suits (like the new Mythic Challenge game).
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Premium coloured cardstock
That would be super sweet. Plus I tend to like four colour suits nowadays. 🤞🏿
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

Another update ... We decided to split the Legendary Deck stretch goal into two separate stretch goals so that we could offer the four-color decks to more people. To read about this in detail, see Campaign Update #11.

In short ... the new $45k goal will involve making the premium foil+embossed tuck boxes available as a "Premium Set" upgrade (plus some of the higher level tiers will automatically include a premium set).

The new $50k goal will allow people to swap the Standard Set (with red/black indices) with a new Four-Color Set (with four-color indices) at no extra charge.
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

Last day!

Campaign update #17 shows a photo and video of the premium tuck boxes ...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bo ... ts/2923680

brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I am a backer of this campaign before all the different editions started becoming available. I have never been a fan of campaigns run like this. Keep it simple.
Aces_Rye

Unread post by Aces_Rye »

brownsl wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 pmKeep it simple.
Definitely!
I pledge on too many Kickstarter campaigns at the same time. I hate having to keep up with updates in order to not miss some special deck that gets offered. And yeah, it's rarely kept simple. I don't want to have to think too hard and stress out... This is supposed to be fun, not work. :D
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Aces_Rye wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:33 pm
brownsl wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 pmKeep it simple.
Definitely!
I pledge on too many Kickstarter campaigns at the same time. I hate having to keep up with updates in order to not miss some special deck that gets offered. And yeah, it's rarely kept simple. I don't want to have to think too hard and stress out... This is supposed to be fun, not work. :D
Yup, I agree totally!
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

Well, the first phase of the campaign is done. It was extremely stressful, but a LOT of fun for us and a lot of fun for many of the backers. Hopefully the total amount of fun people had and the total amount of fun they will have with the cards will far outweigh the total inconveniences experienced along the way. We ran the campaign like we love Kickstarter campaigns to be run, and are very happy with how things are turning out.

Would we have done things differently if we could have predicted the future? Of course, but we learned a tremendous amount through this experience. I really don't think that can be truly understood by anyone unless they've tried running a kickstarter of their own. Of course we will have a LOT left to learn as we go through production and fulfillment.

Would we run a second Kickstarter differently than this one? Yes, but it would depend on the goal of the campaign - whether to involve the community in the creation or to sell something as-is with a very specific plan ... completely different type of campaign. Not good or bad, just different, and people like different types of campaigns. Unless we all find ourselves working from home again without a lot of other demands on our time, we'd definitely need to simplify - reduce the demand for on-the-fly content generation, have everything prepared ahead of time.

And if you think you're going to produce premium tuck boxes, get the prototypes in hand before you begin. That is definitely a lesson we learned the hard way. We are happy we were able to get enough funding to produce 4 different decks of cards, but if we were to do this again, we'd probably stick with two. It will be really interesting to find out how many people choose the red/black indices vs. the four-color design. And maybe that will influence other card designers.
macstrat

Unread post by macstrat »

Full Deck Scans: https://www.flickr.com/photos/167981955 ... 8887142470

Note: The magic and nature are the same except for the backs, Jokers, and 1 of the extra cards.