Fontaine (former Aquaberry, Pineapple) now Raspberry.

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Fontaine (former Aquaberry, Pineapple) now Raspberry.

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Zach did tease his new fontaine Aqua BerryπŸ’§ in a video on his instagram acc

FF755883-E490-4639-81FC-811CF023A8D3.jpeg
FF755883-E490-4639-81FC-811CF023A8D3.jpeg (216.04 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
james001a
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Re: Aqua Berry by fontaine

Unread post by james001a »

Wow. Those are revolutionary.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
Jykwei

Unread post by Jykwei »

james001a wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:48 pm Wow. Those are revolutionary.
The picture shows him being so proud too.
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

I can't wait for some recolors on the non-visible light spectrum.
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

joeblow wrote: ↑Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:29 am I can't wait for some recolors on the non-visible light spectrum.
I can't wait for these decks to fall into the non-visible light spectrum.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
justplaycards
White Whale: Requiem Prototype 00
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by justplaycards »

It does amuse me how Fontaines seem to trigger some other collectors :lol:

Why such bad feeling? There are loads of decks out there with minimal design and loads of recolours, going back as early as Kings and Rounders? Even with modern decks there are countless recolours and decks with minimal design such as cherrys, orbits etc. I am sure you can name some. Yet these decks never get hounded as much as Fontaine?

So come on, what really is the reason that so many of you attack Zachs decks? Easy target? Jumping on the band wagon? What?

I don't like minimalist decks, but it really doesn't bother me that others do. Fair play to them. You only live once.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

justplaycards wrote: ↑Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:04 pm It does amuse me how Fontaines seem to trigger some other collectors :lol:

Why such bad feeling? There are loads of decks out there with minimal design and loads of recolours, going back as early as Kings and Rounders? Even with modern decks there are countless recolours and decks with minimal design such as cherrys, orbits etc. I am sure you can name some. Yet these decks never get hounded as much as Fontaine?

So come on, what really is the reason that so many of you attack Zachs decks? Easy target? Jumping on the band wagon? What?

I don't like minimalist decks, but it really doesn't bother me that others do. Fair play to them. You only live once.
There are probably lots of reasons, but I think the main one is the simplicity of the design coupled with the enormous hype and demand. This contrast makes no sense to a lot of collectors, so people probably feel compelled to point this out to either get validation from like-minded people or an answer to why they're so popular.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
justplaycards
White Whale: Requiem Prototype 00
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by justplaycards »

MagikFingerz wrote: ↑Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:25 pm There are probably lots of reasons, but I think the main one is the simplicity of the design coupled with the enormous hype and demand. This contrast makes no sense to a lot of collectors, so people probably feel compelled to point this out to either get validation from like-minded people or an answer to why they're so popular.
Yeah hype is just marketing though. All companies do that. You can't dislike Zach for being better at it then most.

I don't understand the demand and prices either. I also don't understand Funko Pops and a lot of other things people collect.
Do you not think though its airing on being pretentious to think the style of decks I enjoy is what everyone should collect? If I spend $400 on a Lorenzo prototype (deck printed on crap paper in a white box) how is that any less stupid then someone paying $70 for a Fontaines deck.

I am honestly not trying to stir the pot. It's even weirder I am sticking up for decks I don't even like, maybe its the heat.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

justplaycards wrote: ↑Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:58 pm
MagikFingerz wrote: ↑Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:25 pm There are probably lots of reasons, but I think the main one is the simplicity of the design coupled with the enormous hype and demand. This contrast makes no sense to a lot of collectors, so people probably feel compelled to point this out to either get validation from like-minded people or an answer to why they're so popular.
Yeah hype is just marketing though. All companies do that. You can't dislike Zach for being better at it then most.

I don't understand the demand and prices either. I also don't understand Funko Pops and a lot of other things people collect.
Do you not think though its airing on being pretentious to think the style of decks I enjoy is what everyone should collect? If I spend $400 on a Lorenzo prototype (deck printed on crap paper in a white box) how is that any less stupid then someone paying $70 for a Fontaines deck.

I am honestly not trying to stir the pot. It's even weirder I am sticking up for decks I don't even like, maybe its the heat.
Ironically, this reads a lot like many of the early reactions towards fontaines. It's the same kind of "But why? Someone help me understand!" :lol:

And I guess after a while, with no reasonable response, many just continued to point out the decks' shortcomings because, that's just what we do here :roll:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Jykwei

Unread post by Jykwei »

I was scratching my head where the hate posts were. I took a look at Instagram and people were largely positive, some people sounded like they would die from orgasms hearing the new deck was coming out.

But, maybe some people are like you but the opposite - you appear to be triggered by people who voice not-positive opinions towards the deck, and there are people who are triggered by positive opinions towards the deck?

I also think Fontaine did a reasonably good job diversifying. Please inform me where to read the posts attacking the brand and Zack, because deep down, I think I want to hate the guy too because I am jealous of his success.
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

I don't mind recolors at all, there a many good ones. I don't even mind this deck - the original at least.

But when the creator looks like a six year old who discovered the blue crayon, that's too much.
supernova
White Whale: Standard Oath GoG

Unread post by supernova »

Looking at a different aspect of these Fontaines - looks like they will be made in Taiwan? This is a deviation from using USPCC as they have always done.

Separately on Fontaines I never really like them. The only ones I have are the RipnDips, which are custom enough for me.
Harvonsgard

Regarding the hate, I guess the biggest part of the community is past that bump. With his fully custom editions he silenced the critics who criticised he always milks the same cow. Folks that still dislike the brand/marketing or Zach have made their peace with the situation and mostly ignore it. All I've seen so far was mild banter at best.

The Taiwan printed news are interesting. That's why Zach was searching for an Echo deck months ago.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Dan.Yule.Sun
White Whale: uncirculated Circus Circus
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by Dan.Yule.Sun »

I am okay with that cards. I do like how he partners with other brands to do decks. I do think he is above the 2500 deck runs and culd easily make more...but then that would kill the hype is cards are built around and maybe he is afraid people stop buying his stuff if he makes 10k of each.

The thing I don't much care for is Zach himself. More so over the past few months, but again it really is just personal preference. You wanna get Fontaines...go for it.
Jykwei

Unread post by Jykwei »

Ooh, what a difference a week makes. Last I said I couldn’t find any hate posts on Instagram for this, today, after the deck sold out, 98% is hate and 2% is β€˜woohoo I copped one/some’.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I think the creator of Bennie Babies has been reincarnated....
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Harvonsgard

The salt is tasty πŸ€πŸΏπŸ§‚πŸ˜.

jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Surprise, they also released a Pineapple color AFTER charging everyone for shipping on the Aqua Berry deck. It's apparently the 29th Fontaine! At least most of them are fugly.

Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
oddsmaker003
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Re: Aqua Berry and Pineapple by fontaine

Unread post by oddsmaker003 »

So why did Zach go through Taiwan? I’m guessing it’s the 3 week turn around be 14 weeks with uspcc. Or is it the quality at uspcc is so terrible Zach has had enough?
supernova
White Whale: Standard Oath GoG

Unread post by supernova »

oddsmaker003 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:27 pm So why did Zach go through Taiwan? I’m guessing it’s the 3 week turn around be 14 weeks with uspcc. Or is it the quality at uspcc is so terrible Zach has had enough?
It may well be that this deck was conceived sometime back when USPCC was closed. Also, the Taiwan manufacturer also made the black Echoes by Lotusinhand, which was deck of the year in 2019 (amongst cardists probably. Can’t see how every card having the same face is any good otherwise). Handling must be pretty good to win that award.
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

supernova wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:31 pm
oddsmaker003 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:27 pm So why did Zach go through Taiwan? I’m guessing it’s the 3 week turn around be 14 weeks with uspcc. Or is it the quality at uspcc is so terrible Zach has had enough?
It may well be that this deck was conceived sometime back when USPCC was closed. Also, the Taiwan manufacturer also made the black Echoes by Lotusinhand, which was deck of the year in 2019 (amongst cardists probably. Can’t see how every card having the same face is any good otherwise). Handling must be pretty good to win that award.
Handling for the Black Echo is one of a kind that knocked it out of the park. I have Ventus (Blue and Mauve) and Echo (Black and Green), and no other decks feel the same as Black Echo, even tho Blue Ventus is manufactured by the same printing. Just checked, Blue Ventus feels more like a slightly crushed version of Black Echo with the same stock, but probably a different finish/air-cushion. If you're interested in Taiwanese stocks in general, best is to go for Bomb Magic aka TWPCC decks or Jaspas/NDO decks.
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€-- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgyβ„’ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

β™  ♦ β€»Portfolio 52β€» β™₯ ♣
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

Let's just say, never take Fontaine's word for it when they say that their decks are only "limited" to a certain 2000, 3000, 5000, or 10000 print run. I continue to stand my ground opposing to this fake hype marketing scheme that these brands are creating.

Screenshotted by @thedeckauction on Instagram:

118594438_310247590039534_4703107788494622302_n.jpg

But, I have learned throughout this process that people pay what they deserve to pay when they're into these kind of culture. If you're a collector of these brands, don't complain when the prices get jacked WAYYYYYY up in the reseller market (but complaints are PLENTY every f@#king time).

Should anyone who follow this hype be called stupid or a sheep? No, you DESERVE to pay what you are---the culture you've built and contributed to.

"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€-- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgyβ„’ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

β™  ♦ β€»Portfolio 52β€» β™₯ ♣
montenzi
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

Decknowledgy wrote: ↑Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:38 pm Let's just say, never take Fontaine's word for it when they say that their decks are only "limited" to a certain 2000, 3000, 5000, or 10000 print run. I continue to stand my ground opposing to this fake hype marketing scheme that these brands are creating.
LOOOL screenshot :lol: So, 5000 each printed, 800 sold?
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

It doesn't surprise me that the fella has a problem with numbers. He's been making mistakes with them for a long time but they seem to workout for the guy. Blue fontaines were years ago 1/5000 instead of the actual 15000. Was it an error or just a good idea that "snuck" in? I don't think it matters anymore I'm just pointing out that this kind of thing isn't exactly new. Most folks who've been around for a day and a night know not to trust the numbers he uses. They don't and won't add up. :P
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Harvonsgard

Re: Fontaine (former Aquaberry, Pineapple) now Raspberry.

Latest adition to the fruity bunch: Fonaine Raspberry.

C1E289F1-69DA-42AC-8606-5D6621C47972.jpeg

Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

Oooh how berry exciting. If there's a scented sticker in the tuck I'm in, providing the scented sticker smells like a slice of raspberry pie and not Zach.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Harvonsgard

Haha, I doubt that. That's OPC's shtick.

PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

justplaycards wrote: ↑Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:04 pm It does amuse me how Fontaines seem to trigger some other collectors :lol:

If it's good enough for Lotrek, it's good enough for me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdtTH9qslGM
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093