A new look at S.W. Erdnase

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

A new look at S.W. Erdnase

Unread post by oddsmaker003 »

Let us know what you think.
Attachments
6B1948EE-04E2-4302-A697-7F11783CD013.jpeg
0AAC65EC-B05F-4FE7-8032-A9464B2ACAB1.jpeg
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: A new look at S.W. Erdnase

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Despite there having been made an overwhelming number of Erdnase decks before, this one looks pretty good. But why not incorporate some of that gold from the box on the backs as well?
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Tuck looks great. Plus one for Tom; some gold metallic on the back would be some icing on the cake.
I personally would like the leaves and acorns in a more realistic, less icon/graphic design look, if you get what I mean. I would prefer it as well if the area between the center element (leaves, acorns) and the border would be thinner. More leaves and acorns instead. But that's subjective.
Definitely good job in creating a good looking vintage/classic back design.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Yes, gold on the backs would be good. I would almost say it is needed to tie the backs and tuck together.

Looking forward to seeing more.
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Harvonsgard wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 am Tuck looks great. Plus one for Tom; some gold metallic on the back would be some icing on the cake.
I personally would like the leaves and acorns in a more realistic, less icon/graphic design look, if you get what I mean. I would prefer it as well if the area between the center element (leaves, acorns) and the border would be thinner. More leaves and acorns instead. But that's subjective.
Thank you for the feedback. The design having 90 degree corners make thin borders look terrible ( printing uspcc) however if someone has a good stock suggestion from a company that doesn’t have the registration problems that uspcc has, I would gladly reconsider the printer.
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

MagikFingerz wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:30 am Despite there having been made an overwhelming number of Erdnase decks before, this one looks pretty good. But why not incorporate some of that gold from the box on the backs as well?
I agree on the overwhelming number of erdnase decks. With the limited amount of information on Erdnase most designers have made a minimalist deck with the most creative being a book cover for a tuck. I thought what if we can make a classy erdnase deck that is worth of collecting. (I’m not knocking any of the designers before us). On the gold Back , where would you suggest?
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

oddsmaker003 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:41 am
Harvonsgard wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 am Tuck looks great. Plus one for Tom; some gold metallic on the back would be some icing on the cake.
Thank you for the feedback. The design having 90 degree corners make thin borders look terrible ( printing uspcc) however if someone has a good stock suggestion from a company that doesn’t have the registration problems that uspcc has, I would gladly reconsider the printer.
I wasn't talking about the border if the card. I meant the area between the center element and the hands. This dotted or thin lined area.
As for USPC alternative. Hansonchien or LPCC printed in Taiwan.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Harvonsgard wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:10 pm
I wasn't talking about the border if the card. I meant the area between the center element and the hands. This dotted or thin lined area.
Im aware of the various printers but not their different card stock. Being a card guy more than a collector the handling is of high importance.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

oddsmaker003 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:44 am
MagikFingerz wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:30 am Despite there having been made an overwhelming number of Erdnase decks before, this one looks pretty good. But why not incorporate some of that gold from the box on the backs as well?
I agree on the overwhelming number of erdnase decks. With the limited amount of information on Erdnase most designers have made a minimalist deck with the most creative being a book cover for a tuck. I thought what if we can make a classy erdnase deck that is worth of collecting. (I’m not knocking any of the designers before us). On the gold Back , where would you suggest?
Yeah, most of the previous ones have been really boring.

Hmm, maybe gild the edges of the decks in his hands, and make a few of the leaves in the middle gold (top, outer middle and bottom)?
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

MagikFingerz wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:59 pm
oddsmaker003 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:44 am
Yeah, most of the previous ones have been really boring.

Hmm, maybe gild the edges of the decks in his hands, and make a few of the leaves in the middle gold (top, outer middle and bottom)?
That would be sick! Great idea
supernova
White Whale: Standard Oath GoG

Unread post by supernova »

oddsmaker003 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:59 pm
Harvonsgard wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:10 pm
Im aware of the various printers but not their different card stock. Being a card guy more than a collector the handling is of high importance.
On LPCC, can check what they used for Jody Eklund’s Kodiak. It’s the best non-USPCC deck I’ve handled so far. Snappier than USPCC, but soft enough that they can be sprung, dribbled, fanned, faroed out of the box.

For Hanson Chien, I understand the upcoming Aqua Berry Fontaine’s are using them, in the same stock as the Lotusinhand Echo black. Both are cardist-friendly. Disclaimer tho, I have not handled either. But it intrigued me enough to consider getting the Aqua Berry Fontaine’s.
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you Supernova, I’m ordering my first run through LPCC this week. I’ll see if I can get the stock that Jody used.
Docsplayingcardco

Unread post by Docsplayingcardco »

This took a year but here we are. Srdjan Vidakovic and crew over at The New Garden Society really did a great job in my opinion. Any feedback is welcome.

Mike
Attachments
Erdnase 5.jpg
Erdnase 29.jpg
Erdnase HBB 7.jpg
Docsplayingcardco

Unread post by Docsplayingcardco »

here is the back aswell.
Attachments
Erdnase 34.jpg
Strag