Cardistry Playing Cards / KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Decknowledgy
Collector: Yes

Cardistry Playing Cards / KS

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Re: Cardistry Playing Cards / KS

Unread post by vasta41 »

I have very mixed emotions about this deck. I love the 80s-90s baseball card theme- very Randy Butterfieldesque- but I hate how it's just called "Cardistry" with no other ties to a baseball card theme. I love the fun, custom courts but I hate all the negative space on them. I love USPCC printing but probably the main reason I'm out is $18 per deck, shipped? I don't care how many sticks of gum it comes with, no.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

vasta41 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:20 am I have very mixed emotions about this deck. I love the 80s-90s baseball card theme- very Randy Butterfieldesque- but I hate how it's just called "Cardistry" with no other ties to a baseball card theme. I love the fun, custom courts but I hate all the negative space on them. I love USPCC printing but probably the main reason I'm out is $18 per deck, shipped? I don't care how many sticks of gum it comes with, no.
Get out of my head!

+1 to all of the above.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Call a deck Cardistry...

*plot twist* make it baseball themed...

Genius.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

This confuses me too. Cardistry and Baseball.... I don't get it. :?

I love the approach to selling it though. They get a shined up bag that looks just like the tuck box, toss the tuck inside of it (extra protection) think what's missing? Gum, it's missing gum. So they toss a stick of gum in there! Of course then they're missing is a sticker of an orange slice or something. Never mind the sticker though don't need it, they have a half brick box! I think you're right Harvonsgard, Genius. Plot twist and all! Topping it all off, it's Lit! 8-)

What does any of it have to do with Cardistry? Nothing. 8-)
What does Cardistry have to do with Baseball? Nothing. 8-)

Face cards, As a baseball theme deck of cards, it's pretty good. I mean, that aint bad at all. As a baseball deck of playing cards themed after the movie Major League, it's pretty good. I mean, that aint bad at all. Face cards wise I mean. Card back wise, naa, missed the plate there. Baseball, the ball itself, has the sewing etc, didn't that come up in design thought for a card back that would work for cardistry too? I'm just curious because that makes more sense to me than this card back does. Yea, could be great but it's ended up a bit in left field for me because baseball and cardistry are different things and... yea, no need to explain it. Theme the thing baseball and let it be a baseball deck in my opinion. I do like the look of the tuck. Looks like an old pack of Tops trading cards, all waxy and ready to open.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fes wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:38 pm
What does any of it have to do with Cardistry? Nothing. 8-)
What does Cardistry have to do with Baseball? Nothing. 8-)
I'm not going to dispute the above statements, but I can kinda see where it's coming from.

Like, cardistry is the "sport" of playing cards, so this is a "sport-themed" deck using the traditional aesthetics of a different sport (baseball).

Biggest reach of the century? Maybe :lol:
- Tom

Check out my collection

Harvonsgard

Pretty big one indeed.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Fes

Unread post by Fes »

Anyone else wondering about the gum? :?

I mean, I would NEVER chomp on some gum that's tossed into a bag-o-deck tuck box holding. Buuuut, saying a person was to chomp on some of that stick of weird gum. ;) Would it be the kind that breaks apart into those little fragments of pink pebbles before consolidating into a rubbery mass of "this was a bad idea"? OR Would it be the soft stuff that gets kind of melty (due to the higher moisture content) so when you open your Bag-o-deck holding shiny shine bag the gum is all over your tuck box? Of course there is that third version of gum stick that's covered in enough corn starch to make some proper stir fry too.

Why am I'm even thinking about this and speculating on the variety of gum stick that'll get stuck in the shiny shine bag-o-deck tuck holding? Hmmmm :|

I may have possibly accidentally backed this campaign, perhaps by chance. :lol:
We can still be friends.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Wh... What...?
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Fes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:06 pm Anyone else wondering about the gum? :?

I mean, I would NEVER chomp on some gum that's tossed into a bag-o-deck tuck box holding. Buuuut, saying a person was to chomp on some of that stick of weird gum. ;) Would it be the kind that breaks apart into those little fragments of pink pebbles before consolidating into a rubbery mass of "this was a bad idea"? OR Would it be the soft stuff that gets kind of melty (due to the higher moisture content) so when you open your Bag-o-deck holding shiny shine bag the gum is all over your tuck box? Of course there is that third version of gum stick that's covered in enough corn starch to make some proper stir fry too.

Why am I'm even thinking about this and speculating on the variety of gum stick that'll get stuck in the shiny shine bag-o-deck tuck holding? Hmmmm :|

I may have possibly accidentally backed this campaign, perhaps by chance. :lol:
Bet it's the break into tiny pieces leaving you with a mouthful of spit hoping it becomes something to chew.
Move on, nothing to see here.
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by oddsmaker003 »

What does pies have to do with playing cards? What does fruit have to do with playing cards? To say you can’t put sports on playing card is Ridiculous.
That being said you all have brought up a point that we overlooked. The target audience for this deck may have been too narrow. Cardists make up such a small portion of the overall community that we should have went a different direction. We now realize this and we are in the process of correcting it. So expect another deck added to the campaign shortly. Thank you all for the comments and helping us to realize this came up short.
Doc
Harvonsgard

oddsmaker003 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:38 pmWhat does pies have to do with playing cards? What does fruit have to do with playing cards? To say you can’t put sports on playing card is Ridiculous.
Swing and a miss...

Nobody said it is ridiculous to put sports on a deck of cards. It's just non-sensical to make a baseball themed deck and then call it Cardistry Playing Cards.
That's like Anyone releasing a new A1 Souvenir deck called Souvenir Canada... with the flag of Argentina on it...

NativeTongue
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NativeTongue »

Harvonsgard wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:43 pm
oddsmaker003 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:38 pmWhat does pies have to do with playing cards? What does fruit have to do with playing cards? To say you can’t put sports on playing card is Ridiculous.
Swing and a miss...

Nobody said it is ridiculous to put sports on a deck of cards. It's just non-sensical to make a baseball themed deck and then call it Cardistry Playing Cards.
That's like Anyone releasing a new A1 Souvenir deck called Souvenir Canada... with the flag of Argentina on it...

That’s exactly what we’re addressing with the alternate deck for the campaign. An adjustment to the name as well as a few other things.
As for the questions about the gum, it’s individually wrapped by the manufacturer so as to not affect the deck in any way.

As always, thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. Much appreciated. The deck concept evolved over time and certain aspects were never brought in the new direction.

Thanks again, guys
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

If the deck is aimed at cardists ( people who do cardistry) it’s nonsensical to call it cardistry? What is a bat called that is used in baseball? A baseball bat?
Harvonsgard

As a cardist, yup, it is non-sensical to me.
Of course your perspective will be different because it is your project and you did what you did because it made sense to you - nothing wrong with that.
But ask yourself honestly, if Jackson Robinson would call his upcoming Lord of the Rings themed decks "Cardistry Playing Cards" because "they are aimed towards cardists" would it make sense to you if the artwork has nothing to do with cardistry? 🤔

oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

ED15CA22-78F2-4994-8A6A-617A7EB79584.jpeg
Because I think you are onto something. How is this?
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

MUCH better!
NativeTongue
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks again for honest feedback. The campaign is being reworked today to integrate the new design and more focused direction. (Along with an option for current backers)
Fes

Unread post by Fes »

TL:DR Yes, some fun and gum?

Yea it's better. I think it would be interesting to learn how the niche of cardistry became such a prevalent point in the deck prior to enlightenment by the many honorable and considerate members of UC. I love how focus clouds judgement and narrows possibility. :)

I'm thinking there was beer involved, lots of jokes and story telling with a few ideas kicked around. Perhaps a few second of dead air whilst folks pondered the impossible before someone suddenly said "Cardistry" slapped the table adding a hearty "I like it! Lets do that." then everyone was all, "Yea, that'll make a great inspired by the motion picture Major League deck of playing cards. Everyone will love it!" When phrased that way. . . . maybe it wasn't. :? Ah well, the world may never know. ;) That bit aside (great bit though, really it writes itself) I know the real question on everyone's mind.

So I'm just going to cut to the chase, no beating around the base here, I'll just ask it. Anyone know what flavor the chewing gum is? Is it chewing yuck or chewing yum? Not that I would ever chomp on gum tossed in with a pack of playing cards. Just, you know, someone will probably at some point maybe do some chomping. Wouldn't want to blind side them with the unknown, the mystery block of flavor town. Some folks may not be ready take that trip down adventure avenue.
We can still be friends.
NativeTongue
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Fes wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:28 pm TL:DR Yes, some fun and gum?

Yea it's better. I think it would be interesting to learn how the niche of cardistry became such a prevalent point in the deck prior to enlightenment by the many honorable and considerate members of UC. I love how focus clouds judgement and narrows possibility. :)

I'm thinking there was beer involved, lots of jokes and story telling with a few ideas kicked around. Perhaps a few second of dead air whilst folks pondered the impossible before someone suddenly said "Cardistry" slapped the table adding a hearty "I like it! Lets do that." then everyone was all, "Yea, that'll make a great inspired by the motion picture Major League deck of playing cards. Everyone will love it!" When phrased that way. . . . maybe it wasn't. :? Ah well, the world may never know. ;) That bit aside (great bit though, really it writes itself) I know the real question on everyone's mind.

So I'm just going to cut to the chase, no beating around the base here, I'll just ask it. Anyone know what flavor the chewing gum is? Is it chewing yuck or chewing yum? Not that I would ever chomp on gum tossed in with a pack of playing cards. Just, you know, someone will probably at some point maybe do some chomping. Wouldn't want to blind side them with the unknown, the mystery block of flavor town. Some folks may not be ready take that trip down adventure avenue.

I get the impression you have nothing better to do with your time than try to make unconstructive comments on every post here in an attempt to try and make a few people you’ve never met laugh. By all means, constructive feedback is great and often necessary. However, your comments seem to have absolutely nothing to contribute to the conversation. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s simple, really.

To everyone else, sincerely thank you for the feedback.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

$18 is still a lot of money for this deck but I think I'll pledge if that new tuck gets approved.
Fes

Unread post by Fes »

NativeTongue wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:39 pm
Fes wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:28 pm TL:DR Yes, some fun and gum?

I get the impression you have nothing better to do with your time than try to make unconstructive comments on every post here in an attempt to try and make a few people you’ve never met laugh. By all means, constructive feedback is great and often necessary. However, your comments seem to have absolutely nothing to contribute to the conversation. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s simple, really.

To everyone else, sincerely thank you for the feedback.
Hi, you're currently on a forum where people talk about their opinions and share experiences dealing with playing cards. This aspect of the forum is where we talk about KS campaigns and new decks of playing cards. This isn't the drafting board and I am in fact reacting to your product campaign page. You do realize that right? I mean I can understand if you don't.(Lack of understanding can happen.) While you may wish it were so, you do not dictate what is and isn't in this conversation, nor do you choose who does and doesn't participate in this conversation. I do not have to pay to be part of this conversation either. Simply put this is NOT your campaign page, the one that you wrote about how Cardistry Playing Cards were inspired by the motion picture Major League. Reminder time?
I'm sure you are also aware that UC is pretty much a speak your mind forum. Well, I'm going to speak my mind and my mind says that is absolutely hilarious! If I did it (see above image) I'd hope you'd laugh and turn it into a good thing too. Don't worry, I'm a big boy it's okay to laugh at my mistakes. (I make loads of them) My ego can handle it and I'm going to laugh too! Anyway, these opinions are mine own. If you do not like my opinions, don't read them. It's simple, really.

Yes, you're right. I had nothing better to do than post my thoughts. (And to speculate on the flavor of the gum, expanding upon it in a way that suited my mood.) That's why I did and guess what, I will continue to do it. No you're absolutely not right. This (the campaign) makes me laugh and I'm sharing the fun that happens in my mind over it. Also, my constructive criticism seems to be what has effected you the most. (See what I quoted you saying directly to me? all personal like) Call it tough love, because you're learning a lot and I really do want you to succeed. Thanks not required, you're welcome anyway.
We can still be friends.
NativeTongue
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The bubble gum is bubble gum flavor.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

NativeTongue wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 pm The bubble gum is bubble gum flavor.
And YOU'RE complaining about someone not contributing to the conversation? :roll: :lol:
- Tom

Check out my collection

oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

vasta41 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:06 pm $18 is still a lot of money for this deck but I think I'll pledge if that new tuck gets approved.
Vasta, we are trying to get the shipping prices down. Just curious ( because I almost never pay attention to how much I pay for shipping) what is the average on a US deck with shipping?
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

MagikFingerz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:48 pm
NativeTongue wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 pm The bubble gum is bubble gum flavor.
And YOU'RE complaining about someone not contributing to the conversation? :roll: :lol:
It is bubble gum flavor. 😂
Harvonsgard

Well, dunno about Norway but here "bubble gum" is a certain flavour. It's artificial so, it's hard to describe the taste. It's a sweet flavour, not minty.

NativeTongue
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you, Harvonsgard.

Yes, it’s true. “Bubble Gum” is indeed a flavor, and thus, a simple yet sufficient answer to Fes’ oh so pressing questions.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

oddsmaker003 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:11 pm
vasta41 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:06 pm $18 is still a lot of money for this deck but I think I'll pledge if that new tuck gets approved.
Vasta, we are trying to get the shipping prices down. Just curious ( because I almost never pay attention to how much I pay for shipping) what is the average on a US deck with shipping?
Within the US, 1 deck shipped (as of today) is about $3.50, not including packaging material. But if you're doing the thing where you raise shipping costs for US backers in an effort to bring shipping costs down for international backers then I'm all for it! But you should advertise that because that should attract more backers abroad.
oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

We used Gamblers for fulfillment. This is the first time we didn’t do the fulfillment ourselves so I just put down exactly what gamblers rate was. I don’t think it’s right to inflate the price on one in order to decrease the price for the other.