SoloKid Gilded Playing Cards - LIVE on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
BaconWise
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

SoloKid Gilded Playing Cards - LIVE on KS

Unread post by BaconWise »

An interesting project from a new creator. Semi-custom courts with custom pips and font. Embossing/foil on the tuck boxes and gilding on all versions. He is asking $24 regular price for a pair of gilded decks. Shipping is pretty high, so that puts it at $39 out the door for a pair. Again - that's cheap for gilded cards. Printed by MPC

The design isn't for me but I thought I would share in case others want a standard-ish gilded deck on the cheap. One odd thing to me is that he is printing a lower run of the "Luxury Gold" decks (1000 vs. 1500 each for Red and Blue), but the collector's box tiers have more gold than red and blue (4 gold, 3 red, 3 blue). Why not just do a brick and an even split?

Attachments
822bab6fbccf2f506f16a2d78f1a8dbe_original.jpg
822bab6fbccf2f506f16a2d78f1a8dbe_original.jpg (131.08 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
fca4e3411fc06b8f5f515868f374207b_original.jpg
fca4e3411fc06b8f5f515868f374207b_original.jpg (95.5 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
208bd0a3180cf365783c219b67f8d5b9_original.jpg
208bd0a3180cf365783c219b67f8d5b9_original.jpg (68.24 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
c528deeb402e3b05e1afcd732d519b3f_original.png
c528deeb402e3b05e1afcd732d519b3f_original.png (475.09 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
EvilDuncan
White Whale: Heretic Gran Riserva S + Sb
Decks Owned: 1100

Re: SoloKid Gilded Playing Cards - LIVE on KS

Unread post by EvilDuncan »

I like the number cards and box. The courts are a bit unsettling though.
I've spent way more than I care to admit on playing cards, but I'll still buy just about anything that Lorenzo, Jackson, or Gio make.
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

Don't know why, but I'm getting a feeling that this is a Bicycle brand wannabe with the "Solokid" logo:

It's probably just my impression. But worse is the fact that they spelled "heart" wrong, which gives away the red flag that the creator is imitating something they're not familiar with (the playing card biz) but trying to capitalize on a well-marketed branding. See the Ace of "HREAT":

Finally: "SoloKid playing cards is an adorable deck that integrates the classic style of traditional playing cards, the gorgeous crafts brought by modern advanced technology, and the retro colour like pictorial in the 50s and 60s." This is just too far-fetched of a description, kind of like trying hard to package a pretty standard product with the added "gilding!" + "awesome colors!" without really offering much. Do note that these decks come printed by
MPC (MakePlayingCards) with their new Linen Air Light Stock & Beta finish. This combination produces a handling experience that’s nothing short of amazing. Silky smooth for fans, spreads and with an element of stickiness for cards to stick together, to your fingers as and when you need them to.
MPC recent stock and finish are ok-ish, but will the handling survive with the added gilding? Will it be able to faro? I'm pretty skeptical... :?
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Decknowledgy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:04 pm Don't know why, but I'm getting a feeling that this is a Bicycle brand wannabe with the "Solokid" logo
I agree but I also don't look upon that decision as a fault. Many decks do this and why not? The Bicycle logo is iconic.

However I believe you nailed everything else. Misspellings are a DEAD giveaway to shadyness, coupled with all the other red flags. The biggest for me are the descriptions used in the project page, such as "handling experience," "Silky smooth," and "fans and spreads" to describe a gilded deck. Anyone that knows anything about playing cards knows that you will have bloody fingers if you try to preform XCM with gilded cards.

Could be wrong but seems like a cash grab to me.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

vasta41 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:03 am ...Could be wrong but seems like a cash grab to me.
This is the most correct thing you've ever posted.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

vasta41 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:03 am Anyone that knows anything about playing cards knows that you will have bloody fingers if you try to perform XCM with gilded cards
I'm not on board of the gilding hype train so, I don't own much gilded decks but I do cardistry with Odissea NPU and it works just fine. Faro shuffles are indeed harder but if you're somewhat decent with them you won't have problems doing them still. So far for gilded USPC cards - not so sure about MPC though :lol:

I would agree that the Solokid logo is definitely inspired by the Bicycle logo. Like vasta wrote nothing wrong/bad for me as well. The Corona deck did the same. If it looks good, it looks good. That's all I need.
Not going to get these decks though. If the typo gets fixed they are a mediocre deck that excites me as much as 85% of all playing cards on the market - not much. The chosen fonts and pips are not really to my liking.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Harvonsgard wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:13 am
vasta41 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:03 am Anyone that knows anything about playing cards knows that you will have bloody fingers if you try to perform XCM with gilded cards
I'm not on board of the gilding hype train so, I don't own much gilded decks but I do cardistry with Odissea NPU and it works just fine. Faro shuffles are indeed harder but if you're somewhat decent with them you won't have problems doing them still. So far for gilded USPC cards - not so sure about MPC though :lol:
I used to try all kinds of cuts from D&D's Trilogy with an old deck of Ramblers (https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/2458/view) and let's just say it was not my best life decision. OUCH.
Harvonsgard

Holy smokes. Okay, I didn't take something like this for a ride. :lol:
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
irtjames14
White Whale: NPCCD 2016-2017 sets
Decks Owned: 1584

Unread post by irtjames14 »

Wow that is a steal price for gilded decks! However, I won't be backing because it's by MPC.. and I haven't had a good experience with MPC gilded decks, back from that Vintage Label campaign, where their decks had flaking glitter.. definitely don't want to deal with that again.. So unless anyone can prove otherwise to me, I am out of this campaingn...
My portfolio52 profile: https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/13105

IG: @cardcollector_100
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

There is another version (Sakura) that is already available for sale in China...it’s also gilded and retails for around 13. Printed in China. Not my cup of tea, though
Attachments
CCD2ABE7-030A-4682-B53D-EF41FA27002E.jpeg
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

Another version, Frozen.

TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Fes

Unread post by Fes »

Spotted Solokid constellation series on Murphy's tonight. Some of the constellation sort collectors will dig on them I'm sure. Here's a taste.

We can still be friends.
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes

Unread post by Jocu »

It's incredibly worrying that someone could design a card and then create a mockup with such a huge typo on the word 'heart'

masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

Jocu wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:17 am It's incredibly worrying that someone could design a card and then create a mockup with such a huge typo on the word 'heart'

Well, and missing AoC and having two AoS instead is a bit weird too, right? :)
Remember Earth clearly.
Harvonsgard

masagin303 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:29 am
Jocu wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:17 am It's incredibly worrying that someone could design a card and then create a mockup with such a huge typo on the word 'heart'

Well, and missing AoC and having two AoS instead is a bit weird too, right? :)
That's the new 3 suits four colours system - playing cards revolutionized! 😆.

Fes

Unread post by Fes »

There was a lot to appeal to folks with the initial offering. Aside from the font they used and the obvious typo, I think it was a pretty solid design and a good attempt to create a brand. Something worked they're marching toward twenty decks under the brands name. This last batch has a single color for the pips, indices, courts, etc. Pretty big downer given the nifty full bleed cosmic background.

We can still be friends.