The King of Tigers by Midnight (KS)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Decknowledgy
Collector: Yes

The King of Tigers by Midnight (KS)

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

Randy---like Randy Orton---RKO out of nowhere!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ubSH6HLA_/
Launching tomorrow on @kickstarter (Noon EDT)!! The KING of TIGER Decks. All Black, Gold and Blue elements on the Tucks AND Back Cards will be FOIL. We’re even doing a test to have the Gold and Blue areas with some Glitter flakes overlay!!
92562713_1242336609306612_1025349124561378073_n.jpg
92280318_2540563409536116_5443180238627549041_n.jpg
Just wondering how he'll be able to launch a second campaign when Nerds vs Jocks is still live? (He's just a collaborator for this deck though)
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: The King of Tigers by Midnight / Tomorrow noon EDT KS

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

Yep, I’m just the designer / collaborator on Nerds VS Jocks. Mike’s running the KS project, and handling everything the rest of the way for those.

I’m guessing many of you have seen or heard of the Tiger King over the last few weeks. I was watching it a couple weeks ago, and right away thought “those shirts he wears could be amazing Back Cards”! I got to work after that, and they’re ready to go.

Legends is currently working on 4 sets of tests right now for the Tucks AND Back Cards:

Test 1 - Gold, Blue and Black Hot Stamped Foil for all elements

Test 2 - Holographic Effects Foil for the Gold and Blue elements, Hot Stamped Foil for the Black elements

Test 3 - Test 1 PLUS a Clear UV Spot overlay that has Silver GLITTER Flakes in it (Gold and Blue elements)

Test 4 - Test 1 PLUS a Clear UV Spot overlay that has Silver GLITTER Flakes in it (Gold and Blue elements)

Hopefully we’ll be going with Test 4!

Here’s the KS Preview Link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... n=a9fc3531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, Randy
Attachments
1DF2CDFE-35CB-44F6-990C-710DB92C4C5D.jpeg
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I have never seen the show and have no desire to. But I love these decks. Well done, Randy! Perfectly simple execution IMO. And the $13/each EB is a no brainer ESPECIALLY if you're able to figure out the glitter.
BaconWise
Player: Yes
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

This one is tempting, for sure, as I am a huge fan of that trainwreck of a show. I was curious how image rights would have been secured so quickly, so the fact this is essentially a standard deck makes more sense as I am sure licensing would have been a nightmare and insanely expensive. I am on the fence. If this was a true Tiger King deck with custom courts, it would be an instant hit for me. Best of luck on this and I hope the glitter option works out!
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I think these look nice and will be backing.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

I love surprises like this.

Glad you are going with Legends, can't wait to see the test results.
Borderless foiled :drool:

The only thing that could be better imo is the coloration of the black courts, i mean that diamond/hearts courts look colorful in comparison to spades/clubs which look almost black only. Maybe add some blue color to those courts aswell ?

Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Saw this Tiger King (King of Tigers or whatevver) popping up lately in a lot of thumbnails and memes, dunno what the fuzz is about and this is one of the moments where I'm glad to have no clue at all :D .

I love that Randy and Legends try to push things here. But the novelty won't be enough to chime me in. I'm one of these fellows that thinks animal patterns look only good on animals :uggrin: .
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

That blue deck.... not a fan of. How about white instead that way both colors are natural for these animals nice deck overall
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

Yeah, I’m 100% with badpete; the blue deck looks so unnatural as to completely break the immersion.

@RandyButterfield This begs the question: if I were to pledge for the EB pair, could I go with two gold as opposed to one of each?
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
Harvonsgard

To be fair. Randy mentioned the (ugly) shirts of the dude are the inspiration for the decks, not tigers themselves.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey all,

I’m glad most are liking these!

Azid - I had the accents for the Spade / Club Courts in blue at first, but didn’t like the look. The blue crowns were a little bit too much. I’ll go ahead and swap out a few of the silver accents in the center to blue accents, for the Spade / Club courts. That should give just enough of a color boost for those 6 Courts.

PiazzaDelivery - Sure! If you want 2 Gold Decks for a 2 Deck pledge tier, just shoot me a Kickstarter PM. I’ll take note of it and switch it out in the BackerKit stage.

Badpete and PiazzaDelivery - Harvonsgard is correct. The main source of inspiration is the Blue and Gold shirts. And there’s NOTHING natural about Joe Exotic and his shirts. That guy is about as unnatural as it can get!!

I thought about doing a Silver version, instead of Blue, but the Blue is flashy like the source material. And the response to the Blue Deck is even more complementary than the Gold Deck, on social media stuff.

If it’s a popular project, maybe I’ll have the Silver version as a Stretch Goal release.

A c easy idea I also played around with was a Stretch Goal design inspired from Carole’s wacky pink shirt. These people are treasure troves of inspiration! Just look at her husband’s caveman outfit in their wedding photo!!

Thanks, Randy
Attachments
181E3D2B-4A6D-48C5-8E72-32BECCF752D4.jpeg
181E3D2B-4A6D-48C5-8E72-32BECCF752D4.jpeg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 11490 times
D19CBFA7-FF4C-42C3-A41F-65F5BFB8A40F.jpeg
D19CBFA7-FF4C-42C3-A41F-65F5BFB8A40F.jpeg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 11490 times
5DF44A7F-0F82-403B-A547-7227D8D05644.jpeg
5DF44A7F-0F82-403B-A547-7227D8D05644.jpeg (116.6 KiB) Viewed 11490 times
Harvonsgard

Wtf... :lol:

I'm Harvonsgard and I approve the wacky pink shirt back deck strech goal :ugdance: :ugking: .

badpete69

Me, my wife and kids watched the first 4 episodes a few nights ago and all we could do is shake our head... I get the blue shirt thing... I'll be in for a pair at least
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I went ahead and added some Blue accents to all of the Club and Spade Courts. I’ll update the 4 images that show them, shortly after launch tomorrow.

Here’s a look at the revised Courts.

Thanks, Randy
Attachments
C25CE2E3-B39E-42E8-9894-E1081CE0B27E.jpeg
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

I like tigers.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

RandyButterfield wrote:I went ahead and added some Blue accents to all of the Club and Spade Courts. I’ll update the 4 images that show them, shortly after launch tomorrow.

Here’s a look at the revised Courts.

Thanks, Randy
Cool, this little magic makes them fit better to each other. See you at launch, half brick here we go :P
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

Would you guys still like'em if they didn't have foilz and you weren't fans of the show?
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

shkorc wrote:Would you guys still like'em if they didn't have foilz and you weren't fans of the show?
I plan on pledging and I will never watch the show. I think Randy did a great job of appealing to fans of the show while also keeping the theme vague enough for non-fans like myself (also probably done to avoid infringement issues :lol: ). The glitter is a huge draw and I would be disappointed if it doesn't work out but I'm going to pledge anyway. Worst case, I end up with a few nice tiger-themed decks.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

vasta41 wrote:
shkorc wrote:Would you guys still like'em if they didn't have foilz and you weren't fans of the show?
I plan on pledging and I will never watch the show. I think Randy did a great job of appealing to fans of the show while also keeping the theme vague enough for non-fans like myself (also probably done to avoid infringement issues :lol: ). The glitter is a huge draw and I would be disappointed if it doesn't work out but I'm going to pledge anyway. Worst case, I end up with a few nice tiger-themed decks.
This! , +1
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

vasta41 wrote:
+2

Pledged for the pair.
Move on, nothing to see here.
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

I don't own, nor have I ever felt a deck printed by Legends. Can anyone speak to the handling of the cards they print? How does it stack up to the big boys?
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Backer 2! (damn Pierre) Updated OP.
badpete69

Re: The King of Tigers by Midnight / LIVE on KS

What am I being accused of??? hehe :roll: :roll: After last time just wanted to remind you who the master is :ugking:
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

PiazzaDelivery wrote:I don't own, nor have I ever felt a deck printed by Legends. Can anyone speak to the handling of the cards they print? How does it stack up to the big boys?
Legends is one of the big boys. My Legends decks handle great and the registration is always spot on.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Vasta, don't feed the AI. He only lets people get #1, when he willingly allows it.

Speaking of which. Woohoo, backer number....70 :lol:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Harvonsgard

PiazzaDelivery wrote:I don't own, nor have I ever felt a deck printed by Legends. Can anyone speak to the handling of the cards they print? How does it stack up to the big boys?
It is - wait for it - LEGENDARY! :D

On a more serious not. Legends and Experts did kind of a joint venture when searching for new printers back in the days, so they used (and if I'm not mistaken, still use) the same printer overseas and had access to the same stock and finish like Experts. So if you own some Experts decks with diamond finish they'll feel the same.
They are thin but pretty snappy and stiff. More on the plastic-ish side of the spectrum. So durability better then USPCC/Carta, snap as well but if you do moves like the spring or alike you definitely need more hand strength. If you like your cards more soft you'll not going to like them.
PrincessTrouble wrote:Legends is one of the big boys.
Ehm... no. Production volume and history speaks for only two real big boys. Cartamundi and their newest daughter USPC. Legends is definitely on par (or better?) when it comes to the quality but saying they are a big boy is like saying Koenigsegg or Pagani is a big boy car company.

Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Legends usually do a great job and i have no decks from them which handle bad.
Harvonsgard wrote: They are thin but pretty snappy and stiff. More on the plastic-ish side of the spectrum. So durability better then USPCC/Carta, snap as well but if you do moves like the spring or alike you definitely need more hand strength. If you like your cards more soft you'll not going to like them.

I completely agree on that.

As far as i know Legends (also Expert) uses 2 printing facilities.
1. Taiwan -> top notch printing, registration & handling imo
2. PRC/China -> They can do the foiling stuff (which isn't possible in Taiwan) but their finish isn't as great as in Taiwan, but still good.

Like they project page says these will be printed in PRC/China. To be realistic these will not become the best handling decks out there. But they did a nice job on the blue foiled Jerry's Nugget & the 2019 52+Jokers deck "The Entertainer" (both foiled & printed 2019) so i think these will be similar.
macstrat

Unread post by macstrat »

I dont think I can back this one. Usually, Randy is one of the artists I will back with no question, but these kinda fall flat to me. There is usually something that stands out about the art to put it above the pack (no pun intended), and aside from the foiling, I just dont see that POP with this deck.

I do wish you good luck with the campaign tho!
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE

Unread post by hsbc »

macstrat wrote:I dont think I can back this one. Usually, Randy is one of the artists I will back with no question, but these kinda fall flat to me. There is usually something that stands out about the art to put it above the pack (no pun intended), and aside from the foiling, I just dont see that POP with this deck.
Agreed -- plus I really don't like how Joe Exotic is somehow gaining sympathy out of all this :evil: He's an animal abuser who has been convicted of paying to have someone murdered. It's hard if not impossible for me to separate fandom of the show/situation from admiration of Exotic, which is misplaced and undeserved at best
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

hsbc wrote:
macstrat wrote:I dont think I can back this one. Usually, Randy is one of the artists I will back with no question, but these kinda fall flat to me. There is usually something that stands out about the art to put it above the pack (no pun intended), and aside from the foiling, I just dont see that POP with this deck.
Agreed -- plus I really don't like how Joe Exotic is somehow gaining sympathy out of all this :evil: He's an animal abuser who has been convicted of paying to have someone murdered. It's hard if not impossible for me to separate fandom of the show/situation from admiration of Exotic, which is misplaced and undeserved at best
Ignorance is bliss in my case.