Untitled deck inspired by Hieronymus Bosch

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Untitled deck inspired by Hieronymus Bosch

Unread post by guru »

Just a placeholder at the moment ;)
BaconWise
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Re: Untitled deck inspired by Hieronymus Bosch

Unread post by BaconWise »

Sunish! This is your best work yet. The best minimalist design I have ever seen. :D :lol:
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Considering you've reached 1000 posts, let me just say how great it's been having you be a part of the community, Sunish! Both as a creator and a "regular" member, you continue to add valuable information, insights, and other high quality content :D
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

The next Mystery deck!? Awesome idea :lol: :lol: . The line work is exceptional!
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Love the way you captured the torture. :lol:
Move on, nothing to see here.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

MagikFingerz wrote:Considering you've reached 1000 posts, let me just say how great it's been having you be a part of the community, Sunish! Both as a creator and a "regular" member, you continue to add valuable information, insights, and other high quality content :D

Wow...I reached 1000 posts...it is a milestone.

Thanks @MagikFingerz for the kind words.

And, for all others, just don't say anywhere what you saw in the first post. The sneak peek has been taken off ;) :D :lol:
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

Thanks Sunish. That is interesting - a Bosch-inspired deck head-to-head between you and Lotrek. Can’t wait.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Magic Tapp wrote:Thanks Sunish. That is interesting - a Bosch-inspired deck head-to-head between you and Lotrek. Can’t wait.
Thanks @Magic Tapp.

There is nothing head to head here. Lotrek may still take a few years to do this deck and the master will need to up the foiling game again and beat Silk, Arabesque etc. for his Bosch deck. In my case, it is pure art, no foil and only a single edition. It is also touching the transformation deck category and not everyone appreciates full or semi transformation decks. 

Apart from that, I am only doing one project per year, so just like 'A Motley Pack' last year, 'Mythos' will be coming this year and it will be the turn of Bosch's deck next year if everything goes well. Need to give sufficient time and attention to every deck and Bosch is looking like a great challenge.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Untitled deck inspired by Hieronymus Bosch (wap)

Unread post by guru »

A work in progress sneak peek shared on IG under stories. Will be there for a few hours.

https://instagram.com/stories/guruplayi ... yb3hov207y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

A work in progress sneak peek everyone.

I can't share more for a simple reason that divulging the illustrations will take away a surprise element which will be appreciated by all collectors and playing card enthusiasts once the deck is in their hands. Just trust me on that.

I am looking for some feedback. Though this is an art deck and it won't be appreciated by everyone out here, but I am still looking to see how to make the deck somehat playable. Can you please check if the suit indicators are looking good or if you have any suggestions to make it somewhat playable, please feel free to share.

It is going to be a full bleed decks unlike anythingi have done before. Any special considerations I need to keep in mind?
Bosch_sneakpeek.jpg
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

guru wrote:A work in progress sneak peek everyone.

I can't share more for a simple reason that divulging the illustrations will take away a surprise element which will be appreciated by all collectors and playing card enthusiasts once the deck is in their hands. Just trust me on that.

I am looking for some feedback. Though this is an art deck and it won't be appreciated by everyone out here, but I am still looking to see how to make the deck somehat playable. Can you please check if the suit indicators are looking good or if you have any suggestions to make it somewhat playable, please feel free to share.

It is going to be a full bleed decks unlike anythingi have done before. Any special considerations I need to keep in mind?
Bosch_sneakpeek.jpg
Can you darken the suit number, Joker, etc. Bit tough to see. Looks good otherwise.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

RichK wrote:
Can you darken the suit number, Joker, etc. Bit tough to see. Looks good otherwise.
Hey Rich - Hope you are doing good.

What else? The suit indicator is just a draft, it is not final. One other idea in mind is to have a thin white outline like a shadow around the suit indicators. Still looking for more suggestions.
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

What I feel here is that the values and the suits are randomly placed to form the bigger picture. Is there a reason why the uncut render isn't sequential?
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Decknowledgy wrote:What I feel here is that the values and the suits are randomly placed to form the bigger picture. Is there a reason why the uncut render isn't sequential?
Nothing is randomly placed here, very well thought out and being worked upon ;)

Production sheet will be sequential so that anyone receiving it gets the deck in order and can work on to place the cards in the original and intended sequence building the correct bigger picture.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Full bleed, that's what Bosch's art demands. However, it will lead to the deck being 'marked' or coloured if viewed from the sides. (Pipmen world is a prime example) Not a problem for me as it's an art deck and I believe it'll be too random for the casual player. Just something to note.

Based on what I can see on my screen, the pips blend in with the background too much. Is there a way to make the pips be more visible? Like put a white shadow or border? Something similar to what Ben did for his Pipmen world. (That's the only full bleed big picture deck I have nearby atm)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Eric Lee wrote:Full bleed, that's what Bosch's art demands. However, it will lead to the deck being 'marked' or coloured if viewed from the sides. (Pipmen world is a prime example) Not a problem for me as it's an art deck and I believe it'll be too random for the casual player. Just something to note.

Based on what I can see on my screen, the pips blend in with the background too much. Is there a way to make the pips be more visible? Like put a white shadow or border? Something similar to what Ben did for his Pipmen world. (That's the only full bleed big picture deck I have nearby atm)
White shadow or border is a likely option. Thanks @Eric Lee.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

guru wrote:
RichK wrote:
Hey Rich - Hope you are doing good.

What else? The suit indicator is just a draft, it is not final. One other idea in mind is to have a thin white outline like a shadow around the suit indicators. Still looking for more suggestions.
A white border around the suit indicator would help it pop. Hope it doesn't take away from a white border on the pips. I can see the pips fine.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Updated with white shadow....

Hope it makes it more visible and identifiable now.
2oC.png
2oC.png (578.01 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I actually prefer the version without the shadow. With the shadow the indicators stand out too much. This is the type of deck where the focus is the art and I think the indicators need to blend in more. A slight darkening might be good though.

Definitely looking forward to this deck!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

When you look at the whole deck or a few cards together, they do blend in or appear to be working quite well. Think there is going to be a very fine balancing of getting this deck closer to playable while keeping the art intact as well.

Enjoy....
nc.png
scottbre

Unread post by scottbre »

Think it would look better without the white halos around the pips and indices. My only suggestion would be to do something to darken/thicken the actual indices. But I think given the style of this deck, that the pips blending into the art is just fine.

This deck is looking pretty sweet though.
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/19990/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Lee

That's the problem of looking at cards from the screen. They are seldom at the same size of the actual card and the colors on the screen most likely doesn't match what we'll actually see as well. Can we see the other face cards you showed us earlier of the hearts and spades with the white halo? That scene is darker than the clubs scene you showed us.

Having said that, this definitely makes the pips pop more without getting lost in the art. (which is amazing)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Eric Lee wrote:That's the problem of looking at cards from the screen. They are seldom at the same size of the actual card and the colors on the screen most likely doesn't match what we'll actually see as well. Can we see the other face cards you showed us earlier of the hearts and spades with the white halo? That scene is darker than the clubs scene you showed us.

Having said that, this definitely makes the pips pop more without getting lost in the art. (which is amazing)
Here you go @Eric. I am now leaning down to having the white halo only at the indices & pips on the diagonal while it is not there on other pips.

Old:
Bosch_sneakpeek (1).jpg
Bosch_sneakpeek (1).jpg (140.83 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
New:
test_pips_halo.jpg
Your comment around the screen size vs card size is apt, and adding that the print will have slightly darker than whatever you see on the screen. By the way, the scenes & illustrations have both lighter and darker shades, so the white halo will have a different effect accordingly.
I looked at Pipmen World per your feedback & see that Ben also had the white borders/halo only at the diagonal indices & pip. Seems like, he also faced same issue that I am seeing now.

Glad that I am getting good feedback from you all and also can stand upon the shoulder of giants like Ben's Pipmen World for inspiration. Much appreciated.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

I like the white around pips and indicators. Do you have a card size pic so we can see the real white around the number? I think a solid black number might be needed because the smaller size card images look blurry and the 3 looks like an 8 to me.

Nice fix otherwise.
scottbre

Unread post by scottbre »

RichK wrote:... a solid black number might be needed because the smaller size card images look blurry and the 3 looks like an 8 to me.
This.

I was trying to put my finger on why the indices looked so faded, because the halo don't really seem to help. I think it's because there too much shading and detail in them. If they were basically a black silhouette of the shape of the numbers, I think they would standout much more.

I still prefer the big pips with no halo. It makes them more a part of the scene, versus floating over the scene.
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/19990/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Latest update after working on the feedback.

This is what I am lening towards now. There is a fine blance between the suit rank & pips vs the illustration as a whole.
upd1.png
upd3.jpg
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I like it, great balance! This is going to be an awesome deck!
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Nice fix. I like it.
Eric Lee

Looking really nice. But the numbers still look lost in the background as well. Is there a way to make them stand out more? Maybe flip the white color with Black shading/outline to black color with white shading/outline.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Card back concept:
Escher is always described as a one-man art movement. An artist who doesn’t subscribe to art movements, trods his own path and didn’t copy anyone else’s work whatsoever. But for one artist he made an exception: Hieronymus Bosch.
It is virtually unknown, but in 1935, Escher made a copy of a work by this medieval master from ‘s-Hertogenbosch: a lithograph of a part of Hell, the right-hand panel of the Tuin der Lusten (The Garden of Earthly Delights) triptych.

It is precisely this scene from Bosch’s work that is the only work of another artist that Escher ever reproduced. In 1922, he saw The Garden of Earthly Delights in person during a visit to the Museo del Prado, but it wasn’t until 13 years later that he made a copy of part of Hell." - Dunja Nadjézjda Hak
Former curator at Escher in Het Paleis
Similar to single art reproduction of one of Bosch's prolific works done by MC Escher, the card back is inspired by one of the most famous works by MC Escher and adds the lens of Bosch to it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAFgMYeFSaa/

It is an unconventional card back though which may not be for everyone's taste but suggestions & comments are welcome.