Anything and everything playing cards!
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: eBay auctions posted by people on crack

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I have the suspicion that sellers sell items to a friend or via second account. To have the prize they crave appearing in the sold items search. So they can always bring up the point "That is what it's sold for!". For example I saw an Eleven Madison sold for $600 from a seller but then he offered another (or the same) for $500. Why would you offer a deck for $100 less if you already sold a deck for $600? Of course everything could be legit and he lowered the price because he wanted to sell faster, but it definitely left me thinking.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
justplaycards
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Requiem Prototype 00
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by justplaycards »

Yeah but wouldn't you still get stung for ebay fees if you did that? That would be $50 :shock:
Harvonsgard

Definitely. That is the point that speaks against it, but maybe a sneaky folk has figured a way to avoid it or to circumvent the system. Dunno if it works, I don't sell stuff via eBay. Maybe I'm chasing ghosts and am just to paranoid :D .
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by JacksandJokers »

Adonael wrote:Insanity. A gold on gold Oath Standard Collectors for 455USD. The worst part? It's already changed to sold, did somebody actually pay that? It has to be some kind of a mistake. I don't care how deep one's pockets are, it's not okay to set those kinds of precedents or encourage that sort of predatory behaviour.
Well it's taken 5 years but finally made it onto this thread.
Surprised it didn't happen sooner :lol:

Just wanted to say no trickery involved, this was an authentic sale to one of our regular customers (who's also a UC member if I'm not mistaken) :D
OVSUB
White Whale: Someone to love
Decks Owned: 51

Unread post by OVSUB »

Adonael wrote:Insanity. A gold on gold Oath Standard Collectors for 455USD. The worst part? It's already changed to sold, did somebody actually pay that? It has to be some kind of a mistake. I don't care how deep one's pockets are, it's not okay to set those kinds of precedents or encourage that sort of predatory behaviour.
Well I guess that's how it goes for limited edition stuff. Not really predatory, I really just see it as someone taking an opportunity to earn an extra buck. Look at it this way, if there were only 100 of a car created in the world after the initial sale of the cars the valuation would increase exponentially especially if there is enough demand for it. Whoever bought it just proved that they wanted it that much. It all just boils down to demand and how much someone is willing to pay for it.

Edit: Whoa I'm now a Journeyman, effin sweet!
Life is fickle...
We live to die or rather we are dying to live.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Free market economics.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Congrats Simon on making an appearance on this thread. Also, congrats on the sale. Speaking of crack...Simon if you happen to have a Blue Oath deck...pm me. :D
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Bradius wrote:Congrats Simon on making an appearance on this thread. Also, congrats on the sale. Speaking of crack...Simon if you happen to have a Blue Oath deck...pm me. :D
Sorry Brad, Our Blue Oath deck already sold.
Am I right in thinking you happened to find one though?
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I did indeed manage to find one and make two people happy with a whale exchange. :D

My fingers were just too slow to snag one when they went on sale.
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

If anyone else has a Blue Oath for sale/trade, please pm me - I missed the sale too. Thanks.
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

Shameful

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kings-Wild-Play ... SwUeVeENHb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

PiazzaDelivery wrote:Shameful

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kings-Wild-Play ... SwUeVeENHb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Jacksandjokers is a regular here who does operate a UK online store and I believe it was him who explained earlier why he had priced a deck on Ebay so seemingly high.

Considering that KWP is selling the whole 2019 set at USD499 , the GBP850 actually isn't overly expensive once you factor in S&H and customs needed for a UK buyer. Also factor in the Ebay and paypal fees, he'll make around 20-25%
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Another lowlife trying to shamelessly cash in on the Gold on Gold, 500USD this time! Is this just how it's going to be now because of one exploitative and greedy knob setting a precedent? I've said it before elsewhere, the playing card market is too small to correct itself, it has no forces, any generic ideas defenders of this behaviour may have about 'market forces' don't apply and indicates both a lack of logic and understanding. There are a number of Lotrek decks with numbers close to as low which have been hard to find for years, but half the price or less, rarity is a paper thin excuse, because there is no excuse. Of course a reseller would twist themselves into knots trying to justify this crap to themselves, that's what people like that do.
1319534820709.gif
1319534820709.gif (819.82 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Eric Lee wrote:
PiazzaDelivery wrote:Shameful

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kings-Wild-Play ... SwUeVeENHb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;..
Jacksandjokers is a regular here who does operate a UK online store and I believe it was him who explained earlier why he had priced a deck on Ebay so seemingly high.

Considering that KWP is selling the whole 2019 set at USD499 , the GBP850 actually isn't overly expensive once you factor in S&H and customs needed for a UK buyer. Also factor in the Ebay and paypal fees, he'll make around 20-25%
Too true I'm afraid.

Whereas US customers get these decks for $45USD (Approx £36 GBP) the average value of each deck in the 2019 KWS subscription for us was between £45 - £60 each. - Hence one of the reasons we cancelled our subscription for this year.

Also keep in mind we are offering the 13th Exclusive Edred the Gizzard Ltd deck, A Gilded Equinox I deck and a KWP brick box with this set :D
theCapraAegagrus

:roll: :roll:
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
CollectADeck
White Whale: Anything by OathPCC
Decks Owned: 88

Unread post by CollectADeck »

Shocked no one posted this one yet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Cartam ... 3510391397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bidding is currently at $525 USD for a two box set of 2020 USPCC/Cartamundi decks...
kem-collector

Unread post by kem-collector »

CollectADeck wrote:Shocked no one posted this one yet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Cartam ... 3510391397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bidding is currently at $525 USD for a two box set of 2020 USPCC/Cartamundi decks...
Well, that one doesn't really apply. The auction was posted starting at $20 - a very reasonable (cheap) posting. The fact collectors ramped the bidding up that high is not really his fault. Also, there is a second post for another set starting at $25 that is already up to $225 bucks.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

True. In both cases these are auctions. Assuming that there is not any illegal bidding to jack up the price going on, then it is just some ebay buyers on crack...It happens. I did start out the bidding on the first auction. I think it lasted about 10 minutes. :lol:
Harvonsgard

Just because the flap is inserted in front of the window... lol I love when folks wanna sell you a flawed product as a rare, special misprint edition.

Daisho
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Six Foot Five Green
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by Daisho »

This is me, though I really should update me.
OVSUB
White Whale: Someone to love
Decks Owned: 51

Unread post by OVSUB »

Super hype? Idk some people just buy things. I had one deck I didn't want on ebay get offered $80 for some reason, problem is I think the dude is gonna try to scam me, hasn't paid nor responded to contact.
Life is fickle...
We live to die or rather we are dying to live.
Harvonsgard

Three simple answers:

Oh. And did I mentioned...

Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Well slap my buttocks because what do we have here but yet another crack injecting scavenger listing a Gold on Gold Oath Standard Collectors for 450+USD because of the actions of one loser just like I predicted. :roll:
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

OMFG! My tail is twitching. I have to get it now....Oh, wait, that wasn't $45.00. I misread. Darn decimal places. :lol:
justplaycards
White Whale: Requiem Prototype 00
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by justplaycards »

Well to be fair its cheaper than this one at $500 :lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oath-Standard- ... 2995231689
TheCollector
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by TheCollector »

Adonael wrote:Well slap my buttocks because what do we have here but yet another crack injecting scavenger listing a Gold on Gold Oath Standard Collectors for 450+USD because of the actions of one loser just like I predicted. :roll:
That one is me. Not that I feel the need to justify myself to anyone, but perhaps you'd like a little more insight than just assuming an eBay seller listing a deck for a high price is a "scavenger," "loser," or whatever other insulting conjecture you seem to love to throw around the forum.

First and foremost, I haven't enjoyed spending the amount of money I've had to spend playing catch-up with Lotrek decks since I started this hobby in July of 2019. You can imagine how much I've had to spend now that I have at least one of nearly every Lotrek deck. If it were up to me, things would be as reasonably priced everywhere as you would like them to be. But that's not the reality of this market, and seemingly nor will it ever be. I've had to suck it up and accept the fact early on that, if I wanted Lotrek's works within a span of time significantly smaller than a number years, then I would need to pony-up the dough for the majority of my collection. Because if I don't, for some of these decks, someone else will. And I want it more than them in many cases.

Now I'm recouping some of that money spent. Do I like it? No. But it also doesn't particularly bug me anymore, solely because of how much I've had to be a participant in buying Lotrek decks at peak market cost.

Now, someone like you might look at that and suggest that I'm a part of the problem for buying at some of those prices. Well, the simple explanation is that I want what I want more than folks like you hate whatever that might temporarily mean for the eBay market. Plus, I've been able to reason with a lot of folks on why their prices were astronomical. It's amazing what happens when you respectfully message a seller, treat them like a human being, and provide them a well laid out case. So the high price points aren't an automatic deterrent for me.

Anyway, you know as well as I do (or maybe you don't) that, here on the forum, there are plenty of folks willing to sell for more grounded prices or squarely trade more closely to perceived market value. I'm one of those people, having bought, traded, and sold accordingly here multiple times. But be that as it may, not everything is for sale. Nor is everything for trade unless you've got something damn good that the other person needs. For someone like me coming into this hobby as late as I have, I've had to grind my ass off to try to meet people willing to cut me a deal, trade, etc. Those times have been few and far between, eventually learning that just about no amount of money will buy a vast majority of Lotrek's decks from most of the people who have them.

My pricing on eBay with some of my decks reflects that very mentality. I'm in no hurry to sell, so if someone wants it, they're going to have to pony-up just like I've had to time and time again. Because I still like whatever deck I've listed that high, but recouping money is a welcomed change for me. I have "Make An Offer" enabled on my listings so that folks can do just that, too, so it's not like I'm unapproachable. And to that end, eBay is a completely different beast. The number of people I come in contact with there who know nothing of this forum or the general card collecting community, astounds me. For them, eBay is their ONLY lifeline to anything card-related. It's a market they know and seem to be acclimated to.

Anyway, as a buyer myself, I completely understand why exorbitantly high prices bug you. The point of my post isn't to argue against that, because I tow both ends of this line. I understand both sides because I live them both, so it's not a simple black and white issue.

But above all, what I'm NOT trying to do is price gouge people just to try to make a quick buck. I'm simply trying to get back a little bit of what I've had to put into it. And if that means I have to be the bad guy to someone like you to do so, then I guess it is what it is. But I'm not going to sit idly by and let you condescend and insult without at least offering some perspective from my behalf. I can't speak for the intentions of other sellers, so let's not use them to straw man what I've said here squarely about myself.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

TheCollector, you join a long list of folks, several are UC members that have been mentioned here. It really isn't a bad thing in most case. Honestly, I think a lot of us are just blown away by what some people are paying for this deck, given what other playing cards they could get for that money. Acebear02 of course holds a special place of honor in this thread.

I wouldn't sell my GoG Oath for $450 or $500. As you said, some of us will not sell at most any price. Now, if you want to buy it from me for $5,000 (now who is on crack), I'll ship it right over postage paid and insured once the money is received. :lol:

I wasn't too far ahead of you picking up Lotrek's earlier decks I missed. Not fun days, but I did learn to value getting the decks directly from Lotrek for sure.
TheCollector
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by TheCollector »

I very much agree with you about being blown away by what some people pay for certain decks. I suppose I, myself, fall into the same boat, lol. (Perhaps most of us have at some point.)

To be honest, I struggled a bit initially with my high spend for Lotrek's decks, trying to make absolutely certain that this was more than something like ego or materialism run amok. I'm not the type of person to build self-worth on extravagance, nor thusly assert dominance over my fellow man.

Also, I wanted to make sure that if I'm going to put THIS much money into it, I needed to reasonably ascertain that I could get X% back if I ever had to for some unforeseen reason. I came to realize VERY quickly who Lotrek is, how much effort he puts into his craft, why he stands where he does in this niche, and that his work may well one day be legendary to the extent of fetching prices that make today's market highs look cheap. And as such, people can prey on that, which I've hated the thought of playing into for those seeking to solely profit accordingly.

But, a market is what it is and its players are who they are, regardless of why. And I just accepted pretty quickly that this is how it's going to be and I'm fortunate enough to have a job that's allowed me to catch up with something I never would have been able to otherwise.

You're absolutely correct: I will go to some fairly extreme measures now to see to it that I always get a Lotrek deck directly from him from here forward, lol. I'm incredibly thankful that Lotrek is the only luxury card creator I care this much about acquiring past works from. I'm diligently keeping my brain in check with that one, because if I suddenly start caring about everything Lorenzo has done, or that Jackson has done, etc., then that would honestly make this an unhealthy hobby for me (though I'm sure I'd still enjoy it, even if I didn't have a can of beans to my name afterward, lol).
theCapraAegagrus

"Free market" is the only answer necessary. If it doesn't sell, then maybe you're on crack. If it sells, well, things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Free market.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

Still $10 at theory11...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Black-Edition-1 ... Swov5eVqtl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093