Hello everyone!

Where are you from and what are your interests?
MSimonart

Hello everyone!

Unread post by MSimonart »

Hi there fellow cardists,

My name is Matthieu, I'm 24 and a young male software-developer from Belgium. (I know, sorry, to few females, I can consider a chirurgical operation if this community needs it) ;)

Like many of us my interest in playing cards started when I was younger, maybe 12-13yo. The first magic box, the discovery of double lifts on Youtube aaaand I was taken.
I've done mostly magic moves but also studied the trilogy of Dan and Dave back then, I needed something I could occupy myself with on my own and that was the perfect hobby for that. I also did lots of sports, still try to do lots of sports, but when you get older that gets harder, or at least it demands more will. But once I'm on a tennis court or dancing with my dance teacher, I'm always happy. =)

Reaching 17-18 years old you have some decisions to make and time often lacks in this period. I had to let go of my interest of playing cards, also I felt like the community was at a change at that point, the custom deck era was about to arrive and with struggling to find time to keep up to date, I let it for what it was.

But once you're bitten by the playing cards interest, that never really goes away. I've always had a fascination for playing cards, in my youth we did play a lot of games with my family but playing cards especially had a real attraction to me.

Playing cards holds so much. First of all the versatility of it, and the possible creativity and imagination that can be expressed with those little pieces of paper are incredible. It's so simple, just paper with ink (or no ink but pure foil, that's a new technological prowess I'm discovering), but at the same time it has an uncountable amount of possibilities. You can play games with it, you can count with them, you can memorize them, you can handle them. It's absolutely incredible!
Secondly it holds something else, which is logic. And I love logic (it's not for nothing I do software-development). Man, you can use a lifetime on games, analyzing every move, every possibility, and still face yourself with the incredible amount of unkown that exists in this universe. And all this holds in just 52 pieces of paper, with court cards, numbers from 1-10 and 4 suits. Absolutely mind-blowing.
Thirdly, everyone knows playing cards, it's so simple, no one even notices them. It's such an enjoyment to interest yourself in something that no one even looks at (just the thought that I can enjoy myself with so little makes me humble and is a great knowledge, f*ck materialism, f*ck consumerism), but if only they would look closer at them they would discover a whole universe, whether it's logic or design. Again, my mind is blown.

Ok I said f*ck materialism and f*ck consumerism but since getting back into it in november 2019 I did buy way to many decks. I'm fine with it, I had some catch up to do. But now, and that's even more important then when I was collecting in 2009-2014, I'll only pick what I really like, even if that means not buying any cards for 2-3 months.
I have to say that some decks look incredible and some designs were unthinkable back then (I'm certainly thinking at lotrek and the whole oath-team behind those). But I also find Theory11 have kept their standards and did ride along well with those new designs, unlike some other companies (I look at you Elusionist, NOC/HOPC --> I just remember that HOPC did sell those NOC decks back then). You have to be more cautious of cash grabbers then before, with all those gildings and changing tucks etc. (I'll still have a kind word for Ellusionist and NOC, at least they don't do those never-ending gilding and tuck changes, I'm more ok with color changes, but still none of those things is to the standards of what we expect of a designer, playing cards creator).

If you haven't guessed already, I almost never post something on internet, only some questions on stackoverflow which get downvoted right away or not answered... ;) and sometimes here in the playing card community whether it's on reddit or IG, but when I do post something I'm the TL;DR kind of guy ;) I was pretty active back then on the playing card plethora forum (Hi to Don Boyer, your name I'll never forget), but I've been lurking for 1 month on this forum now and thought it was time to create an account.

Anyway, I'll stop here, I'm still at work and I have to get back to that logic, but the mind needs some rest sometimes ;)

Hope you have a great end of your week, good luck with everything you do
Cheers!

Matthieu
kem-collector

Re: Hello everyone!

Unread post by kem-collector »

Welcome to UC! I know how it is getting back into it and catching up...you'd be amazed at how many decks came out that you want!
MSimonart

I agree, certainly when you haven't seen any design since a certain amount of years and you come back and see all this evolution in design and techniqies, almost all the decks you see are pretty amazing. You really need some time to get accustomed to what is good, what is great and what is fantastic. But again, I'm not angry at myself, I'm still happy with the choices I made. Thanks for the welcoming words ;)
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Welcome at UC fellow neighbour.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Welcome aboard! What a great introduction! :-)
This space intentionally left blank.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Welcome to UC, Matthieu.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
MSimonart

Thanks for the welcoming words everyone. Excited to be part of this forum and to be able to discuss our hobby/passion together. You all seem amazing! :D
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Hello everyone! (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

Welcome back to card collecting and card play, and UC. I enjoyed your perspective of returning to the hobby and look forward to future posts.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
CollectADeck
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Anything by OathPCC
Decks Owned: 88

Unread post by CollectADeck »

Welcome to UC Matthieu!
crixmas

Unread post by crixmas »

Welcome to UC Matthieu!
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/magiccardsplaying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpBtfb ... subscriber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Collection
https://portfolio52.com/profile/19805/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My WhisList
https://portfolio52.com/profile/19805/wishlist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurama
Decks Owned: 290

Unread post by Kurama »

Un bien trop tardif welcome d'un voisin, Matthieu!
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/17634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;