The Mechanical Card Deck by Dale Mathis

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
dalemathis
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The Mechanical Card Deck by Dale Mathis

Unread post by dalemathis »

So I had this idea after looking at a Deck of cards with a Steampunk theme. I thought, wouldn't it be cool if the gears on the Tuck Box really worked instead of just being a printed image? Wouldn't it be even cooler if there was a box set that also had some functionality to it, which would complement the Tuck Box design, maybe even some interactivity between the two? For those of you who are not familiar with who I am or what I do, my name is Dale Mathis and I create art work with a similarity to Steampunk. I work mainly in a 3D sculptural form and most of my work is functional in one way or another. I’m on a mission to incorporate functionality into my card Deck. The Cards graphic design will be designed around the box and other works of art I have created over the years. I will post images up as I move forward with the design. The images you see here are the creation of the Box that could contain the Cards, Dice, possibly Chips, My book and some extras that I will not talk about as of yet. I have also teamed up with Amber Rix, some of you may remember her Kickstarter Campaign last November when she made precision Dice. We will add a twist to her Dice for my particular project but more on that later. I am planning a Kickstarter campaign of my own around this once completed so you will have the opportunity to see the project from starts to finish before my campaign. Let me know what you think as I move forward.

Amber Rix precision Dice. A nice touch to this project. You can purchase these on Kickstarter. She is on her second campaign.

The Finished look after the gilding process (Silver leafing or in printing terminology, Foiling). After foiling then a patina is applied or sometimes referred to as weathering. This is done to give it a more realistic metal look. Its done simply by adding watered down black paint.

By turning the Bolt Clockwise, this turns the gears which engages a spring latch mechanism withing the face of the box causing the box to open.

Emmanuel
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: The Mechanical Card Deck by Dale Mathis

Unread post by Emmanuel »

Dale, your work is exquisite and I can't wait to see your deck come to life :) Amber's dice are beautiful too, I haven't seen them before.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I certainly looks like you do good work. I think you might find a niche in the playing card community if you are able to create storage boxes to hold a dozen decks (bricks) or come up with something to hold and display card collections.
dalemathis
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello Sinjin7, thanks for the feed back. I have been told that a few times now and I have a few ideas up my sleeve. One in particular other than the box which I will share later.

Dale.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Now THIS is interesting, thanks for sharing with us Dale! That is cool stuff and I think we are all interested in the ideas you have. I think that you'll find that the feedback you will get on here is quite valuable. It may be harsh at times but there are a lot of knowledgable people with great insight into the market, so please share as you see fit!
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Twix

Unread post by Twix »

ChasFink

Unread post by ChasFink »

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I like!

A mechanical box or display case is just so cool.
As far as the mechanical deck/tuck box, I was thinkin": Maybe Dale could put his head together with some magic-minded people to come up with some kind of illusion that could benefit from his style. I often thought the Ellusionist 1800 decks would work well in a time-travel based illusion; a steampunky time machine might be the way to go!
Signature? I ain't got no signature. I don't need no signature. I don't have to show you any stinking signature.
dalemathis
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Encarded wrote:Now THIS is interesting, thanks for sharing with us Dale! That is cool stuff and I think we are all interested in the ideas you have. I think that you'll find that the feedback you will get on here is quite valuable. It may be harsh at times but there are a lot of knowledgable people with great insight into the market, so please share as you see fit!
Thanks, feedback is welcome.
dalemathis
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

ChasFink wrote:Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I like!

A mechanical box or display case is just so cool.
As far as the mechanical deck/tuck box, I was thinkin": Maybe Dale could put his head together with some magic-minded people to come up with some kind of illusion that could benefit from his style. I often thought the Ellusionist 1800 decks would work well in a time-travel based illusion; a steampunky time machine might be the way to go!
We will see how this project goes and if all goes well then I might be open for magic minded projects.
4pmdesigner
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by 4pmdesigner »

Some people try to push the envelope, others shove it! THIS is what defines an innovative tuck box design. Everyone take note.
Creator of The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards