Highborn Playing Cards - Live on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
BaconWise
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Highborn Playing Cards - Live on KS

Unread post by BaconWise »

Excellent new project by first-time creator, David Frampton out of UK. Definitely a lofty goal but it offers two decks printed by USPCC with some stretch goal improvements and some decent pricing. Courts and font are very modern/fresh and look like a T11 deck. The whole campaign looks rather sharp and very playable. Tuck embossing and outer foil are included on matte stock with inner foil being a stretch goal for both deck editions. This is a great debut so I hope to see David around for future projects!

Attachments
cc49cad5e2f2f1930ea8ddd44b4ff61a_original.png
cc49cad5e2f2f1930ea8ddd44b4ff61a_original.png (375.98 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
26d2bae5236f197c299dbbaee8df1e16_original.png
84242d370a8bab45133b3626fcd08c5e_original.png
84242d370a8bab45133b3626fcd08c5e_original.png (465.38 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
11bd35dfb0c3d9f955117695b6ce7733_original (2).png
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
rgamble

Re: Highborn Playing Cards - Live on KS

Unread post by rgamble »

I like just about everything except the card backs. I wish they duplicated the tuck box's color scheme instead of going monochromatic. The design isn't interesting enough for me without the contrasting colors.
SneakrativeD
White Whale: If An Octopus Could Palm
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by SneakrativeD »

Hi guys,

@BaconWise - Thanks so much for sharing the support and I definately owe you one.

@rgamble - Thank you for the feedback, it's exceptionally valuable to have and it's hard to come by this kind of honest feedback. Apologies that the design doesn't suit your taste this time around. I just wanted to let you know that I've taken on board what you've said and will keep it in mind in any future produictions.

Thank you both very much.

All the best,
Dave

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

Fallout & Pthogen 52 Kickstarter Project Now Live: http://kck.st/36LgAO0
www.chasddecks.com
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

I grabbed the last EB pair when I saw it was the last one. I think the price is good for each deck at the EB prices. I suppose there is a reason that the blue and silver deck is higher. 12 or 13 for these decks is good without any metallic inks. $16 is a bit too high without.

I think the courts are neat. I would like to see more difference between the suits and maybe different body shapes for the king queen jack and joker.

I also would have liked at least 2 colors on the backs.

Overall, I like them enough for the EB price.

Sent from my S10+ using Tapatalk
SneakrativeD

Hey STLBluesNut,

Thank you for your support and your feedback, I really appreciate it!

As someone who works in user experience I always appreciate critical feedback as it will allow me to produce a more appealing product in the future.

The platinum decks are a little more expensive because they are on a shorter print run, meaning the cost per deck is higher, which sucks, but it also works to add value to a limited edition deck to define a collectors item.

I have noted all of your other feedback. I will collate all critical design feedback for consideration during future projects.

Thanks again for your time and support.

All the best,
Dave

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

STLBluesNut wrote:I would like to see more difference between the suits and maybe different body shapes for the king queen jack and joker.
My immediate thought as well. At least between the red suits and the black suits should be a better and more clearly visible difference. Colours would be my take, the body shape should be switched up a bit as well, but I would say different colour scheme is better.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Back design is 'meh' with too much criss-cross apple sauce.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
SneakrativeD

Thanks chaps,

Again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I really appreciate this feedback. I shall ensure it's noted and collated for future use.

Thanks again.

All the best,
Dave

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
kem-collector

Unread post by kem-collector »

I love the tuck. The cards are not up to the level of the tucks IMHO. That being said, I did back the project for one of each deck.

My only concern is that I do not think this will reach its goal. The goal is a bit higher than most, and coming from a first time creator may cause some to pause. But I think the main issue is that your goal may be dependent on backers shelling out high $ for those tiers that offer specific deck print numbers.

Pledge £600 or more About $788
Collectors Edition Gold Bundle no.01
1 X Gold Edition Highborn Deck 01/2500*
1 X Gold Edition Uncut Sheet 01/200*
1 X Holographic Authenticity Sticker
1 X Signed Certificate Of Authenticity
Free Worldwide Shipping
Signed or unsigned, you can choose.
*Gold edition deck and uncut sheet print run quantity is subject to demand

Just my take on this, but I don't know you as you are not an established artist for decks and having Deck 01 and Uncut sheet 01 and some authenticity sticker and a certificate...just doesn't mean anything to me. If your project is dependent on these tiers being purchased, I think it may be a stretch. I would have preferred to see one deck the main focus, with a stretch goal for a second deck, another stretch goal for a custom half-brick box, etc. I don't know how many decks you are intending to print in this run, but a $25,000 goal is higher than the Eklund Soverign KS, which was $17000 - and that is from a very well known artist on KS.

But I do hope it gets funded. I think they are great looking decks and if this is your first, I am looking forward to what you offer next.
SneakrativeD

Hey Kem,

Really, thank you for your message, your feedback is awesome. I shall note this down and, as above, use it either in re-launching this project should it not be funded (with product amends suggested by the community) on a shorter, cheaper print run so I can bring the goal down and/or in future projects when making designs for new projects.

The goal is lofty, I know, but it's literally just the print costs and UK tax (the exchange rate from £>$ makes things look even wilder), nothing more has been added. As you mentioned, it is my first Kickstarter campaign and it didn't occur to me that I may be being too ambitious with the product, I am thinking I should have simply launched the gold deck then the platinum as either a stretch goal or second project (or the likes). That being said, the project is on course should it remain steady, however, I do expect it to slow in the coming days, hopefully, the printed prototypes will help boost things at that point plus I have a host of avenues I am waiting to pursue with marketing (once I have proper product imagery).

Technically this would be my second deck, the first just wasn't produced through a crowd funding project and was a looooong time ago when I was a total design noob.

I definately hear you on the collectors edition rewards, and I completely uderstand that without a reputation, these things likely don't mean much, however, the project isn't reliant on those rewards being pledged. Maybe a family member or friend would like them as a keepsake if the above is true, or if the project does become funded as a first time artist at such a high goal, maybe they will all of a sudden have some value to someone. Either way, I don't see any harm in having them there for now.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback and thank you even more for your pledge and support (especially considering you aren't even that keen on the card designs), it means a lot more than you may think, to me.

Regardless of what happens with this project, I will definitely be coming here for feedback before a project is launched in the future, even Donna and Mike (the owners of UC) have reached out to me personally and been exceptionally helpful, encouraging and supportive. You guys have an extraordinary community here and hopefully, one day, I can say I'm a part of it in delivering some of my ideas to you all.

Thanks, Kem.

Kind regards,
Dave

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

SneakrativeD wrote:... Technically this would be my second deck, the first just wasn't produced through a crowd funding project and was a looooong time ago when I was a total design noob. ...
What was the name of your first deck? Do you have any pictures?
SneakrativeD

Ahhhhhh, it's all kind of embarrassing...Please just bear in mind this was a uni project I did whilst learning design.

Phoenix Apocalypse Playing Cards

Images here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/5395233 ... ying-Cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
kem-collector

I wanna know why THIS is not on a deck of cards... https://www.behance.net/gallery/5395339 ... r_projects
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

kem-collector wrote:I wanna know why THIS is not on a deck of cards... https://www.behance.net/gallery/5395339 ... r_projects
+1 yes!
Move on, nothing to see here.
SneakrativeD

Haha, Kem, because my Cintiq graphics tablet died after my cat vomited in it, so before I do any (extensive) illustrative work for a deck, such as vectorising this artwork (plus a lot more I have that's not online), I will need to get a new one.

Thanks though!

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
kem-collector

Well just saying...that stuff sells. A full custom court for all suits and number cards and design a tuck in that style but as embossed/foiled as the one you have on KS right now...yes...I NEED. You can fight with Lotrek or Jody Eklund or TXI on those sophisticated luxury decks...or you can you let your inner demons out and slay us with them. I am looking to get slayed.
SneakrativeD

Haha, I do have plans to, but first, I need to raise 2K for a tablet. It'll come.

Or, instead of competing, I could just happily bob along in the middle doing a little bit of both Illustrative/graphic.

The reason I like this industry/community is that I don't necessarily see it as competitive, to me it's, within reason, art (albeit commercial art), either someone likes your work, or they don't. Given the price of a single deck, competition isn't necessarily a threat to an individual artist or sales (for the majority of the market). But maybe that's just me being naive or optimistic.

Either way, I have two new decks already half-finished and a bunch I made throughout the years to revisit, plus artwork to use and a bunch of new ideas I would like to create, so should I manage to master KS, you'll see quite a bit of it in the future.

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

kem-collector wrote:I wanna know why THIS is not on a deck of cards... https://www.behance.net/gallery/5395339 ... r_projects
Wow, awesome art!
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

SneakrativeD wrote:Ahhhhhh, it's all kind of embarrassing...Please just bear in mind this was a uni project I did whilst learning design.

Images here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/5395233 ... ying-Cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Everyone has to start somewhere and I'd say that's a pretty good start. Thanks for sharing.
justplaycards
White Whale: Requiem Prototype 00
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by justplaycards »

Not a bad start indeed. Thought I would grab a few to support a new UK designer.
SneakrativeD

justplaycards wrote:Not a bad start indeed. Thought I would grab a few to support a new UK designer.
Thank you! I really appreciate the support.

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
rgamble

Unread post by rgamble »

SneakrativeD wrote:Ahhhhhh, it's all kind of embarrassing...Please just bear in mind this was a uni project I did whilst learning design.

To be honest, I like these a lot more than the current deck on Kickstarter, for the most part. I think I like the back of the tuck box better on the new one better than the card back of the 1st one, but it's pretty close! The pips are awesome. They have a similar feel to one of my favorite decks of all time, the Aquila Limiteds. The 4 aces are excellent and the courts I also like better. Will have to see if I can scrounge up a copy. :)
SneakrativeD

Well, I'm glad you like one of them :)

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
jhaneyzz
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Bin Wah
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by jhaneyzz »

Looks like he has designed one other deck before as mentioned “ Phoenix Apocalypse Playing Cards” which look amazing. And his work on the Behance link is really cool too.

Personally, I’ll take a pass on these, but he definitely has caught my eye.
SneakrativeD

jhaneyzz wrote:Looks like he has designed one other deck before as mentioned “ Phoenix Apocalypse Playing Cards” which look amazing. And his work on the Behance link is really cool too.

Personally, I’ll take a pass on these, but he definitely has caught my eye.
Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to showing you the other decks I'm working on in the future.

CHSD Playing Cards
David Frampton

www.chasddecks.com
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

David updated his project with some photos of the prototypes and it looks really good. The texture is fantastic. The campaign is definitely stalling out but I am hoping if this fails he tries again, using the prototypes instead of renders and getting some real kick-ass photos of them.
7de38e60d5f3be96e4607c1fb39ffcfa_original.jpg

This is a quick video he posted on Instragram. Not sure if there is a way to imbed an Instagram video post....
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8McO6Jn9NX/
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards