Bicycle Black Tie - Kickstarter Complete - now shipping

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Bicycle Black Tie - Kickstarter Complete - now shipping

Unread post by badpete69 »

Sinsandman

Re: Bicycle Black Tie Playing Cards Now Live on Kickstarter

Unread post by Sinsandman »

I kinda like this one. The only downfall I see is the tuck
UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

I will have to strongly disagree

These to me are ugly as sin.
They do not come off with the vibe of classy but more as childish. The concept could be good but I think it is the art work itself that looks unprofessional.

I try to back every Kickstarter deck, at least a little, because I like the idea of suporting the start up of companies (as long as they don't pull any bonehead manuevers like AlienInk) , but with so many decks coming up on Kickstarter and with some of them being to the quality that I want to back more than just a little, I am going to have to be more choosey and this is one of the ones on this kickstarter go around I will pass on.
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
vjose32

Unread post by vjose32 »

Surprisingly these are not from merz67 because they seem right up his alley, lol.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Hey Utterfool what bonehead maneuver are you talking about for AlienInk?
UtterFool

I was talking about their sales video and the way they handled themselves on the forum.
stayclassycards

Unread post by stayclassycards »

Hello all, we are the creators of the Bicycle Black Tie Deck.
We are happy to see some of the feedback already. The feedback on this, other forums, and our kickstarter page have been promising.
Now utterfool thank you for the "constructive criticism." This is our first attempt at a deck and if you take the time to read our kickstarter page you will see that our goal was to keep the layout and feel of the standard playing card faces. I believe we accomplished this. I respect intensely artistic decks like Cthulu but we wanted to go another way.
We are very excited about this deck and hope that those of you who have not yet fell in love with our deck will eventually come around ;)
Keep spreading the word!
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Welcome! It's great when the artists come over and shares with us. Keep us updated on your progress with the project!
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

I think it's a neat idea. The court card look alright IMO but the AoS and Box really look bad. The AoS looks more like a bat than a bowtie spade...
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

Evan wrote:I think it's a neat idea. The court card look alright IMO but the AoS and Box really look bad. The AoS looks more like a bat than a bowtie spade...
As much as I too, like this idea, I have to agree with Evan. :|
No matter where you go... there you are :|
stayclassycards

Hey guys, we're appreciating the feedback and checking almost hourly :/ we are giving everything we hear a lot of thought but that's all i am going to disclose right now. Max Playing Cards posted us up along with 52cartes.

http://www.maxplayingcards.com/en/2012/ ... ing-cards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://52cartes.wordpress.com/2012/09/2 ... ckstarter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

Just to let you know I have added to my post an exclusive image of the next card to be announced in Kickstarter. You will have to go there to see it: ;)

http://www.maxplayingcards.com/en/2012/ ... ing-cards/
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

Let me make you a question. I am thinking last weeks about the "secret" of the success for a deck campaign in Kickstarter. After seeing how Quicksilver got more than $50,000 (I perfectly understand) and thinking it couldn't be higher, Bicycle Cthulhu deck is over 60,000 with almost 2 weeks left. Nevertheless, other decks, also interesting, don't get even the funding goal.

Why do you think the funding process of this project is slower than other similar? I am thinking about anything that could help creators to get the needed money so all you experts designers that have also got success in your decks could help the other on this. You cardists can also give your point of view on this, to say what makes a deck to be more attractive. Is it related to the design, to the price per deck, to the shipping quotes (I am outside USA and this sometimes kills me). What makes you decide to buy just two decks or a brick? What is the most attractive item you cannot resist to pledge for? clips? poker chips?

Well, perhaps this is not the best place to talk about this and I could open a thread itself for this (admin?) but having a look to this deck, what seems nice to me, and after talking to the creators, that are full of interest about what to do to get funds, I was wondering how we r the community could help them all.

Best wishes

Max
Adam

Unread post by Adam »

I think the answer to that question is rather simple. 4 factors:

1. Supply and demand - Quicksilver was a solo card deck project on Kickstarter for 25 of it's 30 day campaign. No other decks means Card guys only have one to choose from. There are now 12 decks on Kickstarter with another coming out monday, TOO MANY PEOPLE!

2. Price - Come on people $10 and more for a deck of cards???? and then you go and sell them to dealers at a deep discount and they sell them for less than what they went for on Kickstarter??? C'mon Man!!

3. Marketing and appeal - Cthulu, had a huge amount of people that are not necessarily card collectors but lovecraft fans. that and the design is Fu@&ing amazing but that is the next factor.

4. Design - Above all you must have a good design. I'm sorry but I do not like the black tie deck. There is a fine line between minimalism and boring It does not speak classy to me it speaks "Meh"

@Max, I am working on an article about Kickstarter that will be posted in a few days.
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I like your point of view. Would you say there is a factor related to "good luck"? I mean, there are boring designs that have got decks funded (I remember, for example, that terrible Steampunk "ape" deck among others). You don't know how those decks got funds and other (like the very first of Living Dead or Galvanic projects) didn't. I feel guilty because I backed them all (including those a bit "ugly" so I am not an example...

If I were the creator of a deck that some expert artists don't like, I would like to receive a direct feedback from them to improve the design... I hope this nice guy of the Black Tie Deck get feedback from you.

Regarding the particle about Kickstarter, I was writing one about the huge amount of playing cards projects today in KS, but I will wait for yours as I am sure it will be much more interesting (and with a much better written English) :)

Best wishes
Adam

Unread post by Adam »

I just want to clarify that I DO like the concept of this deck, It just seams a bit plain and unrefined to me.
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

To be honest, I like this deck a lot. I think subtle elegance is a nice change of pace. If there was something that may need some modification, it would be the ace of spades. But overall I like the concept and I am glad we are going to be selling this deck.

Thanks!
UtterFool

BMPokerworld wrote: But overall I like the concept and I am glad we are going to be selling this deck.

Thanks!
You really didn't need to mention that you would be selling these. We could tell by the way you were gushing about these that you would be selling them. At least you had full disclosure though.
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

UtterFool wrote:
BMPokerworld wrote: But overall I like the concept and I am glad we are going to be selling this deck.

Thanks!
You really didn't need to mention that you would be selling these. We could tell by the way you were gushing about these that you would be selling them. At least you had full disclosure though.

Utterfool,

" the way you were gushing about these"
I would hardly call his comments gushing. What's your deal? kinda seems like you were taking a jab at Mike for no apparent reason.
He even said that the AoS needed work.

Lighten up bud

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

UtterFool wrote:

Thanks!

Well, if I didn't like the deck I wouldn't be selling it now would I? I like it so we are going to carry it. I have about 150 Bicycle decks on my website, so bringing one in I don't like wouldn't make sense. In addition, if I wasn't bring a deck in because I didn't like it or for some other reason, I wouldn't bash it either.

Thanks!
UtterFool

Sorry guys

That was really meant as a joke. It obviously was not a good one and wasn't taken as such. Much apologies
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

UtterFool wrote:Sorry guys

That was really meant as a joke. It obviously was not a good one and wasn't taken as such. Much apologies
I think the problem is that we don't have a decent tongue-out-of-mouth-smiley. This one :P just looks like someone with red teeth...
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
stayclassycards

Hey guys, just put up a new update. The subject of the update was the new add-on opportunity, a King design revealed and we addressed some of the comments and concerns surrounding our back design. Go check it out, thanks!
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

UtterFool wrote:Sorry guys

Don't sweat it, becareful though, if you go too far you will end up like me who needs to put an apology/disclamer after every post.
stayclassycards

Bicycle Black Tie Times Square

Bicycle Black Tie made a special appearance in Times Square today! Go to the Kickstarter page and check out the new update for a picture!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sta ... ards/posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
decksparadise

Unread post by decksparadise »

Well, do have to say that the design doesn't really appeal to me. In any case, it is your first deck and i wish you luck. The next one can always be better and better!
Simplicity is beautiful.
stayclassycards

Check out the new update with a new add-on and more court cards!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sta ... ards/posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stayclassycards

Hey guys, just posted an update on kickstarter. Check it out! New add-on, more court cards, and a revamped tuck box.
SPREAD THE WORD!!

http://kck.st/Q5Ichl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

I see your charging $65 for the leather box... Don't worry I found them cheaper for you so you don't get ripped off... Maybe you can pass the saving to your backers too! :roll:

Here they are for under $20!
http://www.beforetheidos.com/Personaliz ... MgodS3kAhQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

Russell wrote:I see your charging $65 for the leather box... Don't worry I found them cheaper for you so you don't get ripped off... Maybe you can pass the saving to your backers too! :roll:

Here they are for under $20!
http://www.beforetheidos.com/Personaliz ... MgodS3kAhQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ouch, dude. You are not subtle.
No matter where you go... there you are :|