Women Warriors through history

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
ehsanziaf
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Women Warriors through history

Unread post by ehsanziaf »

Thanks guys, so we'll finalize the A version, my friends voted for A version as well ;)

I couldn't find Nicolai Aroei I tried different spells too :D if anyone knows him, let me know about it, wanna check his works.

This gives you better imagination of how tuck box will look (gold will added later), we are trying to get some renders as well.
Bee-tuck-w-art-line.jpg
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

It's Nicolai Aarøe
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
ehsanziaf
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thanks, Yeah I saw his works before, they are pretty amazing!

edited:
Oh he is the guy behind Ragnarok, I knew them by Design Imperator, their works are gorgeous. We actually saw them before but didn't know the artist personally.
There are some main diversity though, like using of hatching technique. But i see similarities now. Do you think we need to be worry about this similarity? :? :roll:

Thanks
Harvonsgard

In such chases I love to quote a Canadian graffiti artist: "Don't think you are an innovator, because thousands of people did this before."
As humans we are not an island and true originality is rarer than people believe it is. We are always inspired by things surrounding us wether willingly or subconscious. Express yourself in the way you want, without the fear to look too similar to someone else.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Harvonsgard wrote:In such chases I love to quote a Canadian graffiti artist: "Don't think you are an innovator, because thousands of people did this before."
As humans we are not an island and true originality is rarer than people believe it is. We are always inspired by things surrounding us wether willingly or subconscious. Express yourself in the way you want, without the fear to look too similar to someone else.
"There's nothing new under the sun."
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Thanks for the spelling correction. I agree, there arent too many actual original ideas. Even for something seemingly brand new it is generally a combination or modification of something already existing.

I wasn't point out the similarities as a bad thing. Just that the style reminded me of his.

Sent from my S10+ using Tapatalk
ehsanziaf
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Hi guys,
We did some renders of tuck along with some courts and still working on them to get the best results but I was very excited to share these with you and wishing you all a very exciting new year!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
STLBluesNut

Looking good.

Harvonsgard

Looks really promising. All the best for the new year as well.

rgamble

Unread post by rgamble »

Wow, I like these a lot! Instabuy for me if it pops up on Kickstarter!
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

These look really promising so far! The tuck does look quite similar to the Amazons Spartans - Ephoros Edition tuck. Considering the similar theme of women warriors in both campaigns, it might be a good idea for some more separation in the tuck color scheme, though it does look incredible. Quick comparison:
1 (2).jpg
1 (2).jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
ea9511770091b6bfce2fe972b6e9bd14_original.jpg
ea9511770091b6bfce2fe972b6e9bd14_original.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
rgamble

Unread post by rgamble »

Wow, I like these a lot! Instabuy for me if it pops up on Kickstarter!

The only thing I might suggest is adding a third subtle color to the tuck box (fourth I guess counting black). Maybe the suit symbols at the top and the Made in the USA at the bottom in wine or green?
ehsanziaf
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thank you all for your kind words <3 :D

We would like to add more foil color but if it doesn't cost much :ugthink: It's already going to be expensive I guess, maybe we put foil as stretch goals.
But we can try some other color scheme to see how it goes, thanks for your suggestions.
I hope this similarity won't cause any trouble xD
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

All this is looking great and I love the tuck, but I still don't like the name at all, swapping the words around doesn't make it any less cheesy lol. These are heroes, hardened combat veterans, the fact that they're women doesn't need to be literally spelled out, it's clumsy and it doesn't define who they are. Warring Heroines? Heroines of Battle? Don't get me wrong it's a perfectly functional name, in fact I saw the exact phrase 'warrior women' used just today in regard to ancient remains found in russia, and I would still back this regardless, but surely there have to be some options with more gravitas...
ehsanziaf
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Hi again guys,
Hope you are doing nice.

First thank you all for your amazing suggestions and support to help us making this better <3
Let's decide the name and color of the tuck box :)

We came up with another name which we think is cool "Battle Angels" as you see it in the image, please take a look and tell us which one you like most.

And about colors, it was really difficult to put a third/fourth color to box, but we did some tests to see your feedbacks as well. The only color might be suitable for tuck was red as we have "red" used in our deck, so any other color might not be good for it. We showed it to our friends irl and they chose silver & gold version, which one you like aside being compared with amazon, because there are many tucks which looks like each other but each one has their own features along with look of their deck which make them unique.

Thanks
Names.jpg
color-0.jpg
color-1.jpg
STLBluesNut

I really don't care which name you go with. I like the 3 color silver gold and red best. 2and I like the silver and red. My least favorite I'd the gold and silver.

rgamble

Unread post by rgamble »

My favorite is C. Maybe making the other elements within the circle that are red (other than the lines and arrows connected to them) gold? I also like the pips in gold.
Harvonsgard

A or D for me. For the name; Battle Angels is the worst, imo. I would stick to either warrior women or warrior legends, ancient warriors, ancient heroines.

BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

I think I like A and C best. Not too particular about the name. Thanks for the update!
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

D is a clear winner for me, but I wouldn't cry over C. A is a definite no and B really does lose something without the gold. Not liking Battle Angels myself, but the name isn't make or break for me.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
Kage X
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Kage X »

I'll go for D. Quite Ok with the name Battle Angels
ehsanziaf
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Hey guys,

Thank you for your feedbacks, so we go with Warrior Women, simple yet elegant.
@Adonael I'm sure when you hold the tuck in your hand it won't feel cheesy, trust me :D

For the tuck box, we are going for D but if initial goal gets too much, we start with A and put D as a stretch goal.
tuck.jpg
Meanwhile please take a look at these back cards, which one you like more?
We may have metal ink to back cards as a stretch goal, or maybe gilded as well not so sure. If you have any suggestion please share them.
Back-Card_Update.jpg
Back-Card_Update0.jpg
Back-Card_Update1.jpg

Thanks a bunch :)
scottbre

Unread post by scottbre »

Definitely, Number 4. (Not sure what the difference between that and F are)
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/19990/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harvonsgard

Definitely get rid of the of the "Made in USA" on the card back. If you go with USPC and I bought a deck, I know where it was made and don't need literally every card to tell me that.

For the backs; I personally like A but it is not enough colour in your deck to make it a success and speaking to a broader audience, imo. Therefore scrape that one. B has more depth but the same problem. C would be dope if the red would be hot foil, which isn't an option I guess. That leaves us with D, E, F. I like E the most.

ehsanziaf
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

scottbre wrote:Definitely, Number 4. (Not sure what the difference between that and F are)
They are both the same, except there is no render for Number 3.

Harvonsgard wrote:Definitely get rid of the of the "Made in USA" on the card back. If you go with USPC and I bought a deck, I know where it was made and don't need literally every card to tell me that.

For the backs; I personally like A but it is not enough colour in your deck to make it a success and speaking to a broader audience, imo. Therefore scrape that one. B has more depth but the same problem. C would be dope if the red would be hot foil, which isn't an option I guess. That leaves us with D, E, F. I like E the most.
Yes that's very true, I was thinking to replace it with something else, maybe pips? or another phrase?
Is the pips on top annoying as well? if I duplicate them at bottom to replace with the phrase.
Even on tuck box I'm not very satisfied with phrases, both front and back along with one sides mentions "made in usa", we might replace one with something else.

I like A and B for back myself but if we want to go with it, I'll do another version with more depth, but lack of color still remains. Perhaps we go with E and put hot foil/metallic ink as a stretch goal for having gold like F.

Thanks to both :) eager to see more feedbacks.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Love how this is progressing. (Been really busy in Dec and now only caught up.) Love the new courts design. Yes, most definitely replace the words, Made In USA with the same pips. Otherwise, you've ended up with a 1 way deck with no good reason other than just to put in the words.

After looking through the designs of the backs; here's my biggest issue with the backs and the tuck to a lesser extent. Considering this deck is about Warrior Women, The renders right now don't pop for me. The D box seems to stand out the most in that aspect for me. (But then most already agree with D)

As for the backs, I like no. 2 as the style fits the design you have with the courts. The others from 3-6 remind me of a more sci-fi/cyberpunk/circuit board image. The backs should give one a hint of what to expect when one looks at the face cards.

I suggest using no 2, but play around with the red and/or yellow accents, something like what you did with Back F. See which ones make the backs pop the most.
Harvonsgard

ehsanziaf wrote:Is the pips on top annoying as well? if I duplicate them at bottom to replace with the phrase.
Even on tuck box I'm not very satisfied with phrases, both front and back along with one sides mentions "made in usa", we might replace one with something else.
I don't bother the tuck box that much since - well, it's the tuck box and ad copy fits there imo. On the card back it leaves the impression that you didn't really know what to put there (the pips leave that impression, too, to be honest but they are a better alternative compared to ad copy).
I know that a lot of folks are against text/writing on the card backs in general, I'm not one of them, but it has to be something relevant to the theme for me and not ad copy.
If you add a quote about war or something you run the risk of being cheesy or it might rub folks the wrong way. To avoid that, I would simply extend the pattern of the back design there. The circles with the MMXX and 2020 could simply left empty, imo. Or go with MMXX in both and make it two way (MMXX - XXWW).

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Harvonsgard wrote:
ehsanziaf wrote:Is the pips on top annoying as well? if I duplicate them at bottom to replace with the phrase.
I don't bother the tuck box that much since - well, it's the tuck box and ad copy fits there imo. On the card back it leaves the impression that you didn't really know what to put there (the pips leave that impression, too, to be honest but they are a better alternative compared to ad copy).
I know that a lot of folks are against text/writing on the card backs in general, I'm not one of them, but it has to be something relevant to the theme for me and not ad copy.
If you add a quote about war or something you run the risk of being cheesy or it might rub folks the wrong way. To avoid that, I would simply extend the pattern of the back design there. The circles with the MMXX and 2020 could simply left empty, imo. Or go with MMXX in both and make it two way (MMXX - XXWW).
+1 to all of this.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
STLBluesNut

For the cards backs:

4 3 6 1 2 5 in that order.

JackBrutusPenny

Unread post by JackBrutusPenny »

MagikFingerz wrote:Honestly, just seeing that someone can do a multi-quote reply is, for me, a huge confidence boost in their ability to do anything else :lol:
Ha, I was reading through this and don't get me wrong - the deck and discussion were keeping my interest - but the multi-quote reply opened my eyes. Immediately..wait, we can do that? Fantastic!