eBay auctions posted by people on crack

Anything and everything playing cards!
Adonael

Re: eBay auctions posted by people on crack

Unread post by Adonael »

I have to be honest. I did not even consider the possibility that maybe some of the people with these crack listings had already bought said decks from crack listings (or the equivalent of) themselves! Very silly on their part, of course it makes sense to not want to lose money on them, but it does mean finding another sucker to pay for their mistakes. In my opinion there is only one situation where paying a crack price is justifiable, having the means to not care and knowing you'll never sell, otherwise you end up in a situation like this.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Using words like "silly" and "suckers" to describe people who spend money in ways you personally don't agree with is entering rule-breaking territory, so let's not go there. A free market means anyone can list their goods for whichever price THEY are willing to part with it for, and I don't see neither buying something for a lot of money, nor selling something for a lot of money, necessitating critique like that. I know we make a lot of fun of listings on this thread, but let's not forget that the listings are made by real people. And when it's a valued member of our own community, like Spectre is, I would hope we can show some level of understanding and empathy when he takes the time to explain himself.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

I think you've misread/misunderstood what I've written or missed the context. This entirely new angle to crack listings, in the thread dedicated to crack listings in the general discussion section, is completely relevant and absolutely should be open to discussion. It's not even a large paragraph yet somehow it seems like you missed half of it. I believe in honesty, not covering things up, if I bought a deck I really wanted for far too much because my heart couldn't resist I'd be open about it too and also open to critique (I'm in debt right now because of my heart's desire for Lotrek decks, I wouldn't call that a good choice!). I found the subject fascinating to consider, and I think shines a light on our first assumptions about and judgements of crack listings. As well as how our buying decisions may unexpectedly go on to affect us or others down the line, potentially losing us money or necessitating ripping someone else off (in a non-deceitful way, I just can't think of another way to say it atm).
Spectre
Decks Owned: 3000

Unread post by Spectre »

Thanks MagikFingerz! Honestly, I appreciate Anonael's feedback.

I think this deck invokes a bit of passion with people. So many want to add it to there collection and yet see so very few come up for sale. When one does, people tend to lose their minds when they see the asking price.

My data might be a bit off, but in the past three years I have seen exactly four Icons Imperial Reverse decks for sale on eBay. (There may have been more, but if there were, my eBay searching app missed them.) The first one was for $1500. At the time, I was not collecting Lotrek decks and didn't understand why the price was that high. But it made me start looking into him and I became a fan. The second and third decks that came up for sale I bought. The last one that I'm aware of sold as a set by Simon of Jacks and Jokers I believe for 975 pounds (or about $1275) which is a good price for that bundle, but you still had to pay quite a bit of money in order to get the deck. And I seem to remember some people complaining about his price being too high also.

I fully admit to being a "sucker", but fortunately I have the means and I'll spend my money how I want on what I want. As an example, I recently spent a pretty fair amount of money on another "White Whale" of mine. A pre-release Monarch deck (and I'm ecstatic that I have finally acquired one). For me, it's not so much the cost, it is actually finding someone willing to sell the rare decks I'm looking to collect. That being said, I'm still trying to find a Heretic Lux Gran Risevra by Stockholm 17 if anyone needs some cash......
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I was going to comment that there hasn't exactly been a lot of Reverse Icons for sale recently, and the ones that have, sold for a lot of money. Also, I haven't seen anyone else coming forward to undercut Spectre's price to make some fast money. So, yeah. I just was weary to give more oxygen to this discussion.

I do have a (singular) Heretic Lux Gran Reserva, but it isn't leaving my hands. Sorry. They do show up occasionally though. I missed out one on eBay several months ago, getting outbid. Actually, I think I have missed out on two or three since I started collecting. It is another deck that is not likely to be acquired cheaply as there are I think a lot more people wanting that deck than those willing to part with it. The Gran Reserva was another gift to high value backers. A rather awesome gift that I think adds to its value to those that get it, as it likely was a stretch for them to put that much into a campaign. For some reason, I tend to value gifts from designers a whole lot more than simple purchases.

I'll just say that if you want an Icon Reverse, and don't already have it, it is likely going to cost you a whole lot of money. Which is why i finally scratched it off my want list. Which is a decision I get happier and happier with over time. I'd rather get other stuff instead. But that is me, I know there are some other Lotrek collectors that are probably right now saving up to hopefully pick one up.

While Lotrek's foil version decks do sell for a lot, most are not a huge premium over what they were originally sold for. So, a new collector can get most of Lotrek's older decks for not a huge premium. And, if you are patient, you can pick up some for less than what they originally sold for.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
justplaycards
White Whale: Requiem Prototype 00
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by justplaycards »

I am the same as Spectre, if I see a deck come up I have been waiting for, I will overpay for it. This is because I have let decks go I thought overpriced, never to see them listed anywhere again. :shock:

I don't mind people ribbing me about it though because it's my passion and you only live once. The rare times I sell any of my own collection, I try to match market value. If it's something rare that I can't do that with. Like Spectre, I list for what I paid for it (including taxes) even if I overpaid. If nobody want's it, I can happily put it back in the collection.
Daisho
White Whale: Six Foot Five Green
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by Daisho »

Harvonsgard wrote:So you guys think you found some crackheads!?
I guess I found (not personally, saw it posted on reddit) the winner to end all discussions about who is on crack the most!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anyone-Worldwi ... SwHLFdm1JR

$ 1,000 for a A1 US Souvenir deck :lol: :lol: :ugking: !
Funny story, when I joined this forum last week, this is one of the reasons. I thought there had to be some sort of "insider trader" stuff going on, or at least some more familiar with the industry could explain this.

I am a bit of a completionist, and missed out when this deck was going for about $40-$70 two weeks before this posted. Two weeks. I actually messaged the guy, explaining he might have added an extra zero. Nope, this guy seems dead-set on artificially inflating the price of this deck.

I really hope he enjoys the posting fees, as this listing will become a legacy passed from father to son until the Earth is swallowed by the Sun before this deck reaches $1000.
This is me, though I really should update me.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

There is no understanding for this, just plain madness. :lol:
I just got an offer for a EU Souvenir ... 290 $! Some peeps are just crazy.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
cere23

Unread post by cere23 »

I feel it's this is borderlining on fraud.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Bicycle-P ... ition=1000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harvonsgard

cere23 wrote:I feel it's this is borderlining on fraud.
Unfortunatly people are so used to it, that they'll just shrug their shoulders. Must be a sad existence when I'll have to try selling still available decks to people for a ridiculous mark up.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

cere23 wrote:I feel it's this is borderlining on fraud.
It's real and overpriced!

https://bicyclecards.com/product/bicycl ... pe/#filter
Move on, nothing to see here.
Daisho

Unread post by Daisho »

I haven't seen this one on here, and the Hornets are a great deck and all, but are they $250 great?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HORNET-No-6-Pl ... SwJ5NZ397L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least he is selling the gilded version for a much more reasonable $150.00. Oh, wait, that's...that's $15000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HORNET-No-6-GI ... OSwk6lbnWw~" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually bought from this guy before, and his prices for most decks are reasonable. But his current inventory may be a touch on the pricey side.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Daisho wrote:I haven't seen this one on here, and the Hornets are a great deck and all, but are they $250 great?

At least he is selling the gilded version for a much more reasonable $150.00. Oh, wait, that's...that's $15000.

I actually bought from this guy before, and his prices for most decks are reasonable. But his current inventory may be a touch on the pricey side.
:lol:
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

Daisho wrote:much more reasonable $150.00. Oh, wait, that's...that's $15000.
What a bargain. A real steal deal... :roll:

brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Harvonsgard wrote:
Daisho wrote:much more reasonable $150.00. Oh, wait, that's...that's $15000.
What a bargain. A real steal deal... :roll:
What the .... :shock:
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Hey, that's by Acebear 02. One of my personal faves for this thread.

Do a search for Acebear. His descriptions are always a blast to read. His ebay postings for rarer items are almost legendary and are discussed in other FB Card groups as well. His replies to such high prices are always fun to read. Go read up his descriptions for the listings which go into the thousands or he calls Holy Grails.

***FIRST CIRCLE CITY - HEERITAGE COLLECTION / LIMITED TO 144 DECKS***
***AT 144 EVER MADE - POSSIBLY THE RARIST POKER DECK IN EXISTENCE***
***You will be unable to acquire a BETTER Modern World playing card collectable deck. IMO and others....this is one of the BEST decks ever made by the USPCC in ANY ERA. Hornet No. 6's are perhaps the CLASSIEST designed decks EVER CONCIEVED in playing card history.
***CONDITION: Pristine NEW with cards sealed in cellophane. Box has Original Special Seal....cards inside sealed in cellophane. These are the Special GILDED cards. SIZE: Poker sized deck. FYI, I'm NOT very interested in parting with this deck since it is 1-of-144 Special Offerings of this deck ever produced. POSSIBLY THE RARIST OF ANY DECKS EVER PRODUCED.
***If you want a Modern truly RARE Playing Card Collectable.....THIS IS IT! At this price a Modern DESIRABLE collectable deck wherein only 144 were ever produced is worth a LOT MORE than the money in this offering. This is NOT a "FLEA MARKET" ITEM. I DO NOT INSULT ITEMS OF VALUE WITH "FLEA MARKET" PRICING and GUARANTEE QUALTITY as described FOR EVERY ITEM.
theCapraAegagrus

"qualtity"
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Much more rare than decks where less than 144 were made. His math for rarity is as good as his math for pricing.

Sent from my S10+ using Tapatalk
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Personally, I appreciate that language. It shows art and craftsmanship.

Unfortunately, when we go outside on our ranch where there might be loads of it lying around on the ground, we wear boots that can be washed thoroughly outside the house before we go back inside. That stuff is great fertilizer. :ugdance:
Eric Lee

STLBluesNut wrote:Much more rare than decks where less than 144 were made. His math for rarity is as good as his math for pricing.

Sent from my S10+ using Tapatalk
That's because this is a "HEERITAGE COLLECTION" item alright? Don't insult them as they aren't flea market items! :ugking:
synedrionmg
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by synedrionmg »

Scarlett Tally Ho anyone? :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarlett-Tally ... 3925288439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarlett-Tally ... 3925285414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theCapraAegagrus

synedrionmg wrote:Scarlett Tally Ho anyone? :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarlett-Tally ... 3925288439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarlett-Tally ... 3925285414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not even the Gold Edition decks. :lol:
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Eric Lee

Here's a serious case of crack.

This guy is selling a pair of the new Bicycle Slurpee decks at $35 plus $3 S&H. That's about 50x the original price of $3.99 per deck! :shock:

$35 for a new bicycle deck that's still in print? You really gotta love Slurpee or high to pay that much. If you really want it, go get it from the UC members who posted on the thread. He'll sell it at cost plus S&H.
Eric Lee

Eric Lee wrote:Here's a serious case of crack.

This guy is selling a pair of the new Bicycle Slurpee decks at $35 plus $3 S&H. That's about 50x the original price of $3.99 per deck! :shock:

$35 for a new bicycle deck that's still in print? You really gotta love Slurpee or high to pay that much. If you really want it, go get it from the UC members who posted on this thread. He'll sell it at cost plus S&H.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Meanwhile in a home somewhere in Suffolk, England - "Have you sold those stupid decks yet?" "Honeybunch, I am doing my best. I have put them out on eBay, but no bites yet. Folks are even saying I'm on crack for selling them so cheaply." :uggrin:
theCapraAegagrus

Bradius wrote:
Meanwhile in a home somewhere in Suffolk, England - "Have you sold those stupid decks yet?" "Honeybunch, I am doing my best. I have put them out on eBay, but no bites yet. Folks are even saying I'm on crack for selling them so cheaply." :uggrin:
This freakin' killed me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Daisho

Unread post by Daisho »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jerry-s-Nugget ... 0008.m2219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$200 for a set of decks that will be in the $12-$15 dollar range in the next week or two, if not already.

After much internal debate, I will assume based on the rest of the listing and this seller's rating that the header of the listing was unintentionally misleading. Right now, I am internally categorizing in the same column as those with "Rare Fontaine Dealersgrip Anyone Limited Dan and Dave Ellusionist Theory11 <actually deck here>" type headings.

But I fear there will be many in the near future that will be significantly more misleading. But I always come around to the re-assurance that those willing to spend more than $50 on a deck are those that are smart enough to know what they are buying.

Either way, let's not forget this is still almost a 700% mark-up.
justplaycards

Harvonsgard

LOL to both listings. Wierd s... is going on. Ridiculous.

EDIT: some more ridiculousness so that everyone can have a laugh...

Not crack but for my flavour a tried scam/fraud if you call them 1st edition
Get outta here with this hype kids souvenir decks :lol:

justplaycards

And our friendly ebay resellers think the $15 addon KWP Jerry's Nuggets are worth https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-s-Wild- ... 2838620591 :shock: :lol:

Sometimes I wonder about the thought process. Opens package, thinks what a fair profit would be, decides on 600% :roll: