Parisian Playing Cards by Midnight Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Parisian Playing Cards by Midnight Cards

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

An upcoming deck by Randy! It will be released at the Magic Live Convention, which is held between the 4th of August and the 7th of August. It will be an Expert Playing Card Company printed deck, limited to a 1000 and self funded by Randy.
Attachments
par1.PNG
par1.PNG (715.64 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
par2.PNG
par2.PNG (589.03 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
par3.PNG
par3.PNG (637.06 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Parisian Playing Cards by Midnight Cards

Unread post by badpete69 »

Waves wand .....
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

I'm in for the copper tuck alone.

Sent from my Galaxy 8 using Tapatalk
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

STLBluesNut wrote:I'm in for the copper tuck alone.

I am really hoping for custom courts. Everything seems rather nice so far so having standard or standardish courts would be a waste on a deck that looks this good.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Parisian Playing Cards by Midnight Cards (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

I’m definitely in for a deck from Randy Butterfield. Honestly, he has always kept his decks super affordable. I really like the Jackson Pollock decks he just did. Of course I could say that about all of them. Keep us posted on when they become available.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

Hey UC!

I didn’t start a thread for the Parisian Deck over here because I figured it was a design that wouldn’t get much love over here. It’s not fully-custom (or even have modified standard Courts, like Pollock).

My friend, Don Boyer, and I will have a booth at Magic Live in a couple weeks. I figured the only way to justify the cost of the booth, hotel, shipping a bunch of stuff to Vegas, and airfare, would be to release a new Deck for the Magicians in attendance.

The Parisian Deck is a FULLY-MARKED Deck that’s printed with Expert’s NEW China printer (which looks and feels to be much closer to Taiwan’s quality than their old China printer). The design is inspired by the architecture of the Eiffel Tower, and the Tuck Box features a textured matte paper stock, a rich Copper FOIL, and a Pantone Blue.

The Back Card is 4-Color Process and, I believe, has a Marking System that’s very subtle to casual observers but easy to read by those that know it’s marked. The Face Cards have Metallic Gold and a Metallic Light Blue inks to go with the Pantone Black and Pantone Red colors.

I love how the design turned out! I hope to release non-Marked versions in the future (I would love to use these during my Poker night). And I also plan to create a set of Paris-inspired Courts to go with a fully-custom version in the future.

Thanks, Randy
Attachments
E534FFD5-D641-42AC-A265-C67222FD85E7.jpeg
045D5C65-FFB7-486B-B6C3-6F6B29FF7481.jpeg
36A87731-42DE-4FA2-B6C9-D5F4D1B1479E.jpeg
4FD71634-1326-41DE-B7B4-F2E84BBB2172.jpeg
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

RandyButterfield wrote:Hey UC!

I didn’t start a thread for the Parisian Deck over here because I figured it was a design that wouldn’t get much love over here. It’s not fully-custom (or even have modified standard Courts, like Pollock).

The Parisian Deck is a FULLY-MARKED Deck that’s printed with Expert’s NEW China printer (which looks and feels to be much closer to Taiwan’s quality than their old China printer).

The Back Card is 4-Color Process and, I believe, has a Marking System that’s very subtle to casual observers but easy to read by those that know it’s marked. The Face Cards have Metallic Gold and a Metallic Light Blue inks to go with the Pantone Black and Pantone Red colors.

Oh come on, you don't really know the crowd here do you? We love T11 decks, even with their standard courts; as there are quite a few tuckists here (weirdos who don't open their decks to enjoy the playing cards themselves :D )

At the very least, we can still crap on the standard courts and ridiculous pricing for such decks. :lol: Nah, knowing that it's for magicians first, most of us know that you can't deviate from the standard courts. At least you recoloured them.

Thanks for giving us the details about the markings and that EPCC's got a new and better China printer. The back is amazing along with the copper foiled tucks. Now if only you can match T11's pricing of $10-$12 per deck. :ugthink:

So any chance of a pre-release/preview sale here at UC so we can book the decks first? You can ship them later once the con is over. :ugdance:
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

RandyButterfield wrote:I didn’t start a thread for the Parisian Deck over here because I figured it was a design that wouldn’t get much love over here. It’s not fully-custom (or even have modified standard Courts, like Pollock).
Thank you for posting more pictures. I encourage you to share as much as you want and possible, you'll never know what pleases the crowd and maybe a lot of lurkers will like what you share, even though a vocal majority s**ts on a project! Even before seeing that you answered, after reading this is for a magic con, I knew it would have standard courts, and I think it is okay.

I would wish that more designer would have the courage though, to set a new standard! Even minor tweaks are an improvement, like for example the Stockholm17 standard courts. The old Anglo-American courts look ugly because reproductivity was the main focus and not the looks. Nowadays with all the digital workflow and printing technology we have the ability to easily reproduce intricate and beautiful artwork, therefore, at least imho, we don't need to use the excuse of "but that's what everybody is familiar with" and change for the better (more beautiful :D ).

Back to the deck. The Tuckbox is really beautiful. I like that. The choosen colour scheme for the courts is overall pretty nice, fits the theme. The back design is okay-ish, for me personally, but I can't put it in words what rubs me the wrong way. I wish this would be Taiwan quality and not just "close to", but maybe it is really close to and therefore good?
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

These are pretty nice.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Magician: Yes

Unread post by Reylek »

Randy gave me a sneak peek at this design a few weeks back, and as a magician and marked deck fiend, I'm excited to get my hands on one even though I can't make it to Magic Live this year.

I did want to comment on the new China printer though. I've worked with EPCC for years (when I was at Blue Crown, we were actually their first-ever custom project customer). They've been working on developing quality standards with this new printer in China for over a year. I have handled a couple of Classic Finish decks that were produced there, and they are great. If you'd told me that they were Classic Finish decks from the Taiwan factory, I would've believed you.

I have no doubt that the handling quality of Randy's new deck will be great. Obviously the design is.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

You had me at "Randy."
Eric Lee wrote:So any chance of a pre-release/preview sale here at UC so we can book the decks first? You can ship them later once the con is over. :ugdance:
Yes, PLEASE! I must own these...

EDIT: Also,
RandyButterfield wrote:I didn’t start a thread for the Parisian Deck over here because I figured it was a design that wouldn’t get much love over here. It’s not fully-custom (or even have modified standard Courts, like Pollock).
Randy... don't EVER do that again! I have always been firm on my stance that not every single new deck should have custom courts. I may be in a minority on that stance but I think I speak for everybody here when I say, "do not ever deprive us of ANY Randy Butterfield deck!"
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

I would be down for a more custom version of this as long as you stick with copper foil on the tuck! I like these all the same though.

Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

This deck would be great with an embossed tuck and custom courts (not least because the subject matter of the deck provides for so many choices - Three Musketeers, the Hunchback of Notre-Dame, Bel Ami, Les Mis, Tale of Two Cities, to name just the pop culture books). As is, I am on the fence.
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

Randy, anything you make is a must-have for me. Hopefully you have some available for purchase after the event.
theCapraAegagrus

vasta41 wrote:You had me at "Randy."...
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

vasta41 wrote:
Randy... don't EVER do that again! I have always been firm on my stance that not every single new deck should have custom courts. I may be in a minority on that stance but I think I speak for everybody here when I say, "do not ever deprive us of ANY Randy Butterfield deck!"
Yeah, we need every decent deck posted here as we can get, with all the drek continuously being announced/shared.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The MSRP is $13.95+ Shipping. I always try to keep the price as low as possible, but the cost adds up quickly for a minimum 1,000 print run that ships by itself (also via Air Mail so it made it to Vegas in time). If this design is as successful as I’m hoping, all other versions will probably be print runs of 2,000 (to cut down the MSRP).

I’ll be selling them at Magic Live for $14 each, or $72 for 6 ($12.00 per), or $120 for 12 ($10 per). Depending on how many are left after the show, I might have the multiple Deck pricing at MidnightCards.com also.

I’m not sure if I’ll be having an early release for UC users, but Indo know that Will Roya will have 72 Parisian Decks releasing at PlayingCardDecks.con on Tuesday, August 6th.

I won’t have the leftovers up on MidnightCards.com until a few days after I get settled from Magic Live (on Saturday, August 10th).

Since there’s only 1,000 Decks in total, those will be the only 2 locations the Parisian Deck will be available.

Thanks, Randy
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Will is on top of things again. Probably because he went to Magic Live and bought them from Randy. Anyway, they're available for sale at PCD at $13.99, which is how much Randy is selling per deck there.

https://playingcarddecks.com/collection ... cards-epcc
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Just flew back from hawaii an hour ago and have been out of touch for 2 weeks.. But I did pick this one up from Will just now
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Ordered mine too.
Move on, nothing to see here.
macstrat

Unread post by macstrat »

RichK wrote:Ordered mine too.
ditto
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The Parisian Deck is now available on my website (https://midnight-cards.myshopify.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

I have price breaks on 6 and 12 Deck quantities.

Thanks, Randy
ChumpofSpades
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by ChumpofSpades »

Got mine today and although the photos at the beginning of this thread are very nice, they simply don't compare to this deck in real life.

Well done Mr. Butterfield. Well done for sure.
Mike2350
White Whale: All Of Them Of Course
Decks Owned: 2200

Unread post by Mike2350 »

The marking system on this deck is fantastic. It's faster than others by a long shot. At least for me, anyway. Some I struggle when only getting a slit second to see the card.
Yes, I am Lorenzo's first patron. What? You're so naive. Of course that gives me superpowers.