B.P. Grimaud - Cartes Indiennes

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Romeril
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 272

B.P. Grimaud - Cartes Indiennes

Unread post by Romeril »

Ok, I just got this deck today and wanted to show everybody, it is amazing! After a quick search here, I did not find an existing thread for this deck, Cartes Indiennes, or the reprint of it, Venise Simplon-Orient Express. If I'm wrong please let me know.
This wonderful, colorful deck was printed in chromolithography and published by B.P. Grimaud from Paris as "Cartes Indiennes" in 1890. The courts all show Indian figures as Kings, Queens and Jacks and they are set against a floral background design. On the number cards we also find a floral design in the background, which gives the deck an Art Nouveau look.
The Whist deck of 52 cards has gold edges and there are some gold printed details on the courts too. It was obviously a luxury edition.
Tuck
Tuck
C6B48478-A659-42BA-B138-70D5EBB8D186.jpeg
Aces
Aces
Romeril

Re: B.P. Grimaud - Cartes Indiennes

Unread post by Romeril »

And more pictures
B145076D-7D23-4753-B228-CC2AE0A18621.jpeg
F3613CF8-F2BF-44EB-BE18-1BBEEE458EBD.jpeg
01ABEA31-4558-415A-A2A2-9565E69A4565.jpeg
67D37B22-E315-4F73-8A3A-95E4898409EB.jpeg
Räpylätassu
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

This is maybe the most beautiful deck of playing cards ever created. I could say that maybe the House of the Rising Spade is even better but Amy made a good point to me: There weren't any computers in 1890. This deck was all hand designed. It's just incredible looking...

This to me is one of those decks that it is more than a deck of playing cards... This is high art in it's own right. You could put these court cards in Louvre and they would not be out of place.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
kat11366

Unread post by kat11366 »

Very beautiful deck indeed! Definitely on my wish list.... thanks for sharing!
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

That is amazing. I have a reproduction of that deck, but I sure like the original. That is really nice. Congrats on hauling in a really magnificent deck in great condition given its age. Thanks for sharing those photos.

It is interesting to note that 1890 is the year my great grandmother was born. She past away in 1987. A heck of a lot of technological advancements happened in that period of time.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

I just bought the other deck of the twin set, although this one is a 1985 reprint of the originals. Rom's is definitely crazy antique :shock:

This one sold for $75.
Although Rom and I have respectively bought different decks of the same set, currently there is a complete twin-set listing which is the reprint in 1985 selling for $250 on Ruby Lane.

Link here if anyone is interested: https://www.rubylane.com/item/404269-T0 ... t=70fcf37a

"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
Räpylätassu

The reason the 80's single deck is only 75 USD is that the listing was without a tuck box, or at least that's what I think. Still, if you find somekind of tuck for, it's a great deck for sure for a rather nice price. That 250 USD for that double is quite a lot though...

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Decknowledgy

This is definitely going into Sherm's deck sleeve or case!
The twin set is steep for a reprint yeah, but Rom's 1890 original was $350 hahaha...

And a deck of Original Jerry's sells between $300-$500 :roll:
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)

Portfolio 52
Romeril

Unread post by Romeril »

Decknowledgy wrote:but Rom's 1890 original was $350 hahaha
Yep! A bargain! No regrets! :D
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

This is truly an amazing deck. :drool: :drool:
The deck looks in great condition for its age, and with a complete tuck box as well , i am really jealous right now Romeril.

Two things i`ve noticed.
First..... This is the variant without any inscriptions, i.e the name "B.P Grimaud" & "Paris" on all the court cards ( like you can see in the 1985 reprint). While this variant is by no means rarer or more uncommon than the variant with inscriptions, it is noteworthy.
Second....There is no Tax Stamp on any of the Aces (you can see a replica of the original on the 1985 reprint)
This again is not uncommon as the deck was probably used for export, i only wish there was more of the original tax band on the box which would have told us more.
Decknowledgy wrote:The twin set is steep for a reprint yeah, but Rom's 1890 original was $350 hahaha...

And a deck of Original Jerry's sells between $300-$500
Different strokes for different folks i guess.
Personally i would buy the grimaud deck for $350 in a heartbeat... but would never buy a original jerry`s, even if it was $20-$50
Romeril

Unread post by Romeril »

Jock1971 wrote:i only wish there was more of the original tax band on the box which would have told us more.
Here is all that remains of the tax band on the back of the box:
Cartes.Indiennes.Tuck.Seal.jpg
Cartes.Indiennes.Tuck.Seal.jpg (97.06 KiB) Viewed 6811 times
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

That looks to be the manufacturer's own band, which is another strong indication that the pack was intended for export.
I don`t have pictures of a wrapper used in 1890, but the following wrappers were used around 1910. Not exactly the same but similar.
d04525band.jpg
d05568wrapper2.jpg
You can see the official bands used in france at Peter Endebrock's site at
http://www.endebrock.de/stamps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although your Aces are not stamped, here`s a picture of an Ace which was exported to Austria and show`s the Austrian tax stamp used in 1890
d00587hA.jpg
Jase
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

Has anyone heard from Mike recently regarding the possibility of a licensed restoration/reprint? Last I saw was that brief mention in the thread for the Dondorf Hundertjahrkarte restoration.

Grats to Romeril for the acquisition. I saw the listing myself but in the end the price point was too rich for my blood. Glad it's going to someone who'll appreciate it.
Romeril

Unread post by Romeril »

Merlebird wrote:Has anyone heard from Mike recently regarding the possibility of a licensed restoration/reprint? Last I saw was that brief mention in the thread for the Dondorf Hundertjahrkarte restoration.
I don't know anything about that, but would be interested to know! Also of note, Jackson Robinson has expressed an interest in this deck and asked if I could scan the deck for him, which I did. Maybe we will see him do something with this deck in the future??
Merlebird wrote:Grats to Romeril for the acquisition. I saw the listing myself but in the end the price point was too rich for my blood. Glad it's going to someone who'll appreciate it.
Thank you Merlebird, I do love this deck and it is now the most prized in my collection :drool: :D
Bradius

Re: B.P. Grimaud - Cartes Indiennes (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

Heck, I have the reprint of this deck, and the reprint is one of the most prized decks in my collection.
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I would definitely be interested in buying an original or a reprint if anyone knows of someone selling one.
Decknowledgy

brownsl wrote:I would definitely be interested in buying an original or a reprint if anyone knows of someone selling one.
There's a two-deck set on Ruby Lane, I posted the link earlier, but here again: https://www.rubylane.com/item/404269-T0 ... t=70fcf37a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)

Portfolio 52
brownsl

Unread post by brownsl »

Thanks! The price seems a bit steep though for a reproduction.
brownsl

Unread post by brownsl »

Is there a resource (book?) available that has these older historical decks in them? It would fascinating to learn more about them and maybe purchase a deck or two.
Räpylätassu

A sealed 1985 double deck starting bid at 224,95 £. Note that Two for His Heels on Rubylane still has the same double deck for 250 USD, which is actually a cheaper price but both decks on that set are opened. The box is also in fantastic condition on this one.

The auction ends in about 29 hours. The price is rather steep but the condition is excellent. And to those that compare this to the fact that Romeril got the the 1890 original for 350 USD, that was a steal of a lifetime and will most likely not happend again.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

Räpylätassu wrote:A sealed 1985 double deck starting bid at 224,95 £. Note that Two for His Heels on Rubylane still has the same double deck for 250 USD, which is actually a cheaper price but both decks on that set are opened. The box is also in fantastic condition on this one.

The auction ends in about 29 hours. The price is rather steep but the condition is excellent. And to those that compare this to the fact that Romeril got the the 1890 original for 350 USD, that was a steal of a lifetime and will most likely not happend again.
35 min left

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

Räpylätassu wrote:
Räpylätassu wrote:A sealed 1985 double deck starting bid at 224,95 £. Note that Two for His Heels on Rubylane still has the same double deck for 250 USD, which is actually a cheaper price but both decks on that set are opened. The box is also in fantastic condition on this one.

35 min left
Somebody bought it! Was that you brownsl? :D

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
brownsl

Unread post by brownsl »

Lol, yes I did. I am so weak with this hobby. I have other hobbies and am able to have some self-control. This one is hard.

I really like these decks and thanks for all your posts about them!

I am looking forward to getting the deck!! I have to open it though.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

brownsl wrote:Lol, yes I did. I am so weak with this hobby. I have other hobbies and am able to have some self-control. This one is hard.
Relatable! :lol: I always have a fix budget for cards ... I always end up spending more than planned; mostly thanks to Roope :lol:.

Awesome catch by the way. Definetly one of the best decks out there.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Bradius

Re: B.P. Grimaud - Cartes Indiennes (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

You will like it. It is really beautiful as a set. I have just one sealed deck and love it. It is a lot to pay, but I am sure you will be happy with it. Let us know what you think when you get it in hand.

I can’t bring myself to open mine, even as a single sealed deck!
brownsl

Unread post by brownsl »

Now, I just have to resist the temptation to try and find a second set so that I can open one and keep the other sealed!
Decknowledgy

I have only one of them, without a tuck case, but even then:

Decknowledgy™ (Ted)

Portfolio 52
Räpylätassu

1890 ORIGINAL EBAY LISTING

1 day and 18 hours left, current bid at 144 €. In original box. Shipping from France.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

Räpylätassu wrote:1890 ORIGINAL EBAY LISTING

1 day and 18 hours left, current bid at 144 €. In original box. Shipping from France.
A bit shy of 3 hours left, current bid at 201 €

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

Räpylätassu wrote:
Räpylätassu wrote:1890 ORIGINAL EBAY LISTING

A bit shy of 3 hours left, current bid at 201 €
30 min left, current bid still at 201 €!!

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE