The House of the Rising Spade

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Bradius
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: The House of the Rising Spade

Unread post by Bradius »

I haven't seen anything abount a Tarot deck on his Patreon page or other sites. Perhaps he is going to do it. Getting interest in Tarot decks is a lot harder.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

I'm not sure about that. With the sheer number of Tarot projects on KS and even on PCD's list, there's quite a good market for it. Enough that UUSI has been focusing on that instead of playing cards.

Also looking at how Chris did reprinted his Arcana deck as a full Tarot deck, HotRS should get enough support to fund it. After all, there are few here doesn't want to get more Lorenzo art. :)
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Speaking of HotrS. I was looking at the Ace of Spades the other day and could see the face of an angry man. Is it just me?
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

Bradius wrote:I haven't seen anything abount a Tarot deck on his Patreon page or other sites. Perhaps he is going to do it. Getting interest in Tarot decks is a lot harder.
Lorenzo sent an email a couple of days ago with an update on his plans for 2019 that, among other things, mentioned the following:

“The House of the Rising spade Tarot
I am not abandoning poker size playing cards, but I thought that a Tarot version of HRS can work quite well. I have to draw 4 knights and the 22 arcana cards, new tuck and new packaging. I have something epic in mind.

I started to sketch a bit, but nothing is ready for your eyes :)
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

On reflection, I thought it would be best to set out the whole update from Lorenzo (I hope he would not mind) that came in an email to those subscribed to his updates:

"Hi!

I wish you had a nice holiday and that 2019 started brilliantly. I am back in Stockholm after a little break with family and friends, and I already started to work on 3 projects.

The plan for 2019 is the following:

Ravn3 fulfillment
The Parlour playing Cards in collaboration with The Gentleman Wake
The House of the Rising Spade Tarot deck
Surprise deck

In June 2018 I quit my "normal" job and I decided to focus on playing cards. No freelance work or side projects that distract me. just 100% playing cards.

Ravn is almost ready

Cards and tuckboxes ready, Cartamundi si assembling them and they will be ready to ship in a week or so. It is taking time because they also have to fill 1000 dual cases and they have to fold it by hand all of them.

Also, Christmas vacation slowed down the process and probably the fulfillment will start at the end of the month if everything goes well and I do not have unpleasant surprises.

I received the samples from Lotrek and they are great!

These will be available on my webshop when fulfillment starts.

The Parlour Playing Cards

As you might know I teamed up with The Gentleman Wake and designed a semi-custom deck inspired by his room and his deck reviews.

Standard faces with improved design, custom ace of spades, jokers, tuckbox. Basically as Ravn Playing Cards, just a little more customized.

It will be a kickstarter campaign on his account and in USD. We have no launching dates, but you will be notified of course. :)

The House of the Rising spade Tarot

I am not abandoning poker size playing cards, but I thought that a Tarot version of HRS can work quite well. I have to draw 4 knights and the 22 arcana cards, new tuck and new packaging. I have something epic in mind.

I started to sketch a bit, but nothing is ready for your eyes :)"

Nothing on the surprise deck yet...
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Tarot is challenging to say the least, and great to see Lorenzo taking a shot at it.

Full Tarot is time consuming though the whole design process as such is rewarding, might be worthwhile to start with Majors first while adding Pages/knights & utilize the normal playing card deck as Minor Arcana for the time being. It will help in testing the market through the Majors deck & over time, he could even do full Minor Arcana to make it a complete tarot deck.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

I'll eat up anything Mr. G puts on my table.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Bradius wrote:Speaking of HotrS. I was looking at the Ace of Spades the other day and could see the face of an angry man. Is it just me?
No, TwoPiece is angry, too.

And, PS: I don't see it.
This space intentionally left blank.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

The banner is the top of the head. The two girls are the eyes. The keys are the eyebrows. The key hole guard is the bridge of the nose. The bottom of the spade is the place bottom of the nose or the space just above the mouth and forms the top of the frown of the mouth. Look at it with bad eyesight helps!
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Bradius wrote:The banner is the top of the head. The two girls are the eyes. The keys are the eyebrows. The key hole guard is the bridge of the nose. The bottom of the spade is the place bottom of the nose or the space just above the mouth and forms the top of the frown of the mouth. Look at it with bad eyesight helps!
Ah, now I can see it. But only when I squint hard at the picture. However, for you to see that image, you sure everything's ok for you ? What you see in Rosharch test images usually indicate what's going on at the back of your mind. :lol:
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I see lots of playing cards in those images. It is what I see in playing cards that is concerning! Lol
theCapraAegagrus

rousselle wrote:
Bradius wrote:Speaking of HotrS. I was looking at the Ace of Spades the other day and could see the face of an angry man. Is it just me?
No, TwoPiece is angry, too.

And, PS: I don't see it.
:lol: :lol:
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

At Stockholm17’s store, he has nearly sold out of Gemini decks. Just Terra version available. Only three of the six deck carat cases available - they have nice etching on the top and great for holding a half brick of HOTRS decks, or any of Lirenzo’s decks. 39 of the new black nickel card guards are available. 18 Ravn Purple Haze also remain.
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Bradius wrote:At Stickholm17’s store, he has nearly sold out of Gemini decks. Just Terra version available. Only three of the six deck carat cases available - they have nice etching on the top and great for holding a half brick of HOTRS decks, or any of Lirenzo’s decks. 39 of the new black nickel card guards are available. 18 Ravn Purple Haze also remain.
um, Brad, does Lorenzo know you cyber stalk him and his inventory so closely... :ugthink: do we need to discuss this obsession??

Actually, considering your alliance to Lorenzo and how intimate your bond is, it's almost like you have... Stockholm syndrome... :shock: IS HE HOLDING YOU AND YOUR WALLET HOSTAGE! TELL US BRAD! ARE YOU SAFE?!?! STOP IDENTIFYING WITH YOUR CAPTOR! :lol:

okay folks, time for another intervention! lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has anyone else here been taken captive by Lorenzo and has developed Stockholm17 syndrome?? It's okay; this is a safe space and we're here to help you :ugthink:
theCapraAegagrus

PipChick wrote:
Bradius wrote:At Stickholm17’s store, he has nearly sold out of Gemini decks. Just Terra version available. Only three of the six deck carat cases available - they have nice etching on the top and great for holding a half brick of HOTRS decks, or any of Lirenzo’s decks. 39 of the new black nickel card guards are available. 18 Ravn Purple Haze also remain.
um, Brad, does Lorenzo know you cyber stalk him and his inventory so closely... :ugthink: do we need to discuss this obsession??

Actually, considering your alliance to Lorenzo and how intimate your bond is, it's almost like you have... Stockholm syndrome... :shock: IS HE HOLDING YOU AND YOUR WALLET HOSTAGE! TELL US BRAD! ARE YOU SAFE?!?! STOP IDENTIFYING WITH YOUR CAPTOR! :lol:

okay folks, time for another intervention! lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has anyone else here been taken captive by Lorenzo and has developed Stockholm17 syndrome?? It's okay; this is a safe space and we're here to help you :ugthink:
Yes, but I turned the tables and he felt captive in his own dungeon, so I was released within minutes...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
PipChick

TwoPiece wrote:Yes, but I turned the tables and he felt captive in his own dungeon, so I was released within minutes...
well this certainly has taken a kinky turn... :shock: :lol: I like it! please do tell us more about your dungeon experiences, 2pc :lol:

and damn - I must say, you're becoming much more of a freak than the one I had initially pegged you as... :lol: :lol: :lol:

but "released within minutes"... well that's not very impressive... :ugthink: c'mon 2pc, you should at least try to last longer next time... lmao :lol:

granted, I suppose it isn't called 'House of the Rising Spade' for nuthin' :ugthink:
theCapraAegagrus

PipChick wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:Yes, but I turned the tables and he felt captive in his own dungeon, so I was released within minutes...
well this certainly has taken a kinky turn... :shock: :lol: I like it! please do tell us more about your dungeon experiences, 2pc :lol:

and damn - I must say, you're becoming much more a freak than the one I had initially pegged you as... :lol: :lol: :lol:

but "released within minutes"... well that's not very impressive... :ugthink: c'mon 2pc, you should at least try to last longer next time... lmao :lol:

granted, I suppose it isn't called 'House of the Rising Spade' for nuthin' :ugthink:
Not in public.

Also - don't peg me.

This post is killing me.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

TwoPiece wrote:
PipChick wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:
PipChick wrote:Has anyone else here been taken captive by Lorenzo and has developed Stockholm17 syndrome?? It's okay; this is a safe space and we're here to help you :ugthink:
Yes, but I turned the tables and he felt captive in his own dungeon, so I was released within minutes...
Not in public.
Aw, Amy, you made him go all tsundere on us. Now it's going to be like three more volumes before he can be honest about his feelings for Lorenzo-senpai.

Whatever, I still ship it.
theCapraAegagrus

Merlebird wrote: Aw, Amy, you made him go all tsundere on us. Now it's going to be like three more volumes before he can be honest about his feelings for Lorenzo-senpai.

Whatever, I still ship it.
You could work for Fox Media with the spin that you put on the posts here.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I think I will step out of this one, except that I do want to point out that many playing card creators have direct sale websites. Often these can be a great place to pick up their products after Kickstarter rewards ship at much better prices than available on eBay. Also they may have products not offered elsewhere. A good example are special offers by Jackson Robinson to his Shorts subscribers.

I was thinking of making a group photo of my enlarged HotrS, Arabesque and Tigers decks. It would definitely require a wide angle lens! Hopefully the standard Arabesque decks will arrive to make that an even bigger group photo. Gosh with the standard Arabesque decks, that is probably close to a gross of decks all combined! Dang.
PipChick

Bradius wrote:I think I will step out of this one, except that I do want to point out that many playing card creators have direct sale websites. Often these can be a great place to pick up their products after Kickstarter rewards ship at much better prices than available on eBay. Also they may have products not offered elsewhere. A good example are special offers by Jackson Robinson to his Shorts subscribers.
No, you're absolutely right - some people only use ebay as their first source for getting decks after the KS has ended and sometimes can really end up paying through the nose from resellers when there's often still some stock available at a much more reasonable markup offered directly through the designers'/producers' own sites. Def has helped me to check it out now and again and I appreciate you posting to keep us in the know because it sure is a lot better than waiting too long and missing out.

Sure, the police might call it stalking, but I'd like to think of it as closely admiring from afar... :ugthink:

Bradius wrote:I was thinking of making a group photo of my enlarged HotrS, Arabesque and Tigers decks. It would definitely require a wide angle lens! Hopefully the standard Arabesque decks will arrive to make that an even bigger group photo. Gosh with the standard Arabesque decks, that is probably close to a gross of decks all combined! Dang.
yes, please - that is def one group pic I'd like to see! lol :D
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

To all the female UC members looking to make a fashion statement and to those males that like to act in stage plays by Shakespeare, these are a thing. Another version
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Damn. I wouldn't think twice if I were a Shakespearean actor. Maybe it's not too late to change my profession...
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

MagikFingerz wrote:Damn. I wouldn't think twice if I were a Shakespearean actor. Maybe it's not too late to change my profession...
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=94o-D2_k5ew&t=1s[/youtube]

Everything you need to know about Shakespearean acting
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

So... we are just ignoring this? Room 17 version of the House of the Rising Spade

I'm fine with it, since I'm not the gilding and foil guy. But this deck! This is actually one of the decks were gilding makes 100% sense and adds to the overall design. I'm more than happy that Lorenzo decided to go full circle with this one! :drool:

On an unrelated note, is somebody interested in an opened but almost untouched House of the Rising Spades Cartomancer? :lol:
No, seriously, if you want it shoot me a dm.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

What is this? Where and when can I get in on this?
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

james001a wrote:What is this?
shiroo56 wrote:Room 17 version of the House of the Rising Spade
james001a wrote:Where and when can I get in on this?
It is a teaser pic from Lorenzo, therefore no further info. But he replied in a comment in one or two months. But for now, excuse me, I need to buy a ski mask... :ugeek:
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Count me in!
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

With a low number signed Room 17 deck included for free in the Patreon pledge, no need to worry about it hehehehe
theCapraAegagrus

badpete69 wrote:With a low number signed Room 17 deck included for free in the Patreon pledge, no need to worry about it hehehehe
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠