Oath Mystery deck #2: DAMASK

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
wingedpotato
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Re: Oath Mystery deck #2: DAMASK

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Oscar53955 wrote:Just got my deck today. First reaction: oooooo Shiny!

Wanted to take a look inside and noticed my deck was missing the Spade court cards :cry:

No wonder it wasn’t as snug in its box compared to some of Lotrek’s prior foiled decks :lol:
That's something that will keep the "never open" collectors up at night...
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by JacksandJokers »

Oscar53955 wrote:Just got my deck today. First reaction: oooooo Shiny!

Wanted to take a look inside and noticed my deck was missing the Spade court cards :cry:

No wonder it wasn’t as snug in its box compared to some of Lotrek’s prior foiled decks :lol:
Nooooooo........

I thought we had moved on from this stage.

I had the same problem with an Icons Sacred & a Liturgy Black/Bronze Green deck.

As one of those "Never Open" collectors this will keep me up at night.
rektz360

Re: Oath Mystery deck #2: DAMASK (wap)

Unread post by rektz360 »

The deck is for sale right now on his site get it before its sold out
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/13475/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

wingedpotato wrote:
Oscar53955 wrote:Wanted to take a look inside and noticed my deck was missing the Spade court cards :cry:

That's something that will keep the "never open" collectors up at night...
Damn. Now I don't know if the sounder choice for preserving trade value is to keep it in the plastic baggie or open it to check the contents.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I generally open Lotrek's decks just because they really are supposed to be opened. Heck if it kills their value, so be it. It is not like I beat up his decks. I don't look at it the same as breaking a deck seal.

Oh, I checked and the Damask decks are all sold out. What a surprise.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

Merlebird wrote:Damn. Now I don't know if the sounder choice for preserving trade value is to keep it in the plastic baggie or open it to check the contents.
Double dangit. Having had this happen on an Oath Prototype, I now feel I’ve got to open these pristine decks. Ah, whatever. I’ll pop ‘em into a carat case.

I believe Lotrek’s said at one point he doesn’t consider the plastic wraps to be part of the end-product anyway. If someone is familiar with Lotrek’s astounding hand-built decks, they may appreciate the additional assurance of completeness. The “Lotrek bespoke deck process” results in bar-none the most lovely playing cards, but there is, unavoidably, additional room for errors.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Bradius wrote:...
Damask uses five foils (or is it four foils? Gold, gold, blue and silver?) on at least the court cards. What is also interesting is the similar basic design between the two court cards, so a side by side comparison is worthwhile.
go_and_damask_koh2.jpg
Not 100% certain, but he'll correct me if I am wrong:

Two tones of gold foil, one silver foil and blue foil on the red decks or blue foil on the red, plus a contrasting foil on the Ace of Spades.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

I have finally picked up my red decks today and they are absolutely and utterly amazing. Lotrek - you have once again outdone yourself.

2018 is proving to be a fantastic year - Arabesque, HoTRS, Neo and now Damask and those are just a few of the great decks that were released this year...
Merlebird

Stepchild wrote:I believe Lotrek’s said at one point he doesn’t consider the plastic wraps to be part of the end-product anyway. If someone is familiar with Lotrek’s astounding hand-built decks, they may appreciate the additional assurance of completeness.
Both fair points, so I opted to open and check. All 54 cards present and accounted for, though there was a tense moment there at the beginning when the KoH and black Joker didn't slide out of the tuck with the rest of the deck and I thought they might've been missing.

Seems a little odd that there is no foiling on the tongue of the flap, but I suppose it's to minimize foil flaking?
KT52

Unread post by KT52 »

Ok, I might be alone on this one, but I liked Arabesque more than Damask. I really like the Jokers for the Damask deck and the foiling technology is amazing, but the reason I like Arabesque better is the art on the court cards. While the foiling for the Damask court cards are great, they don't appear novel compared with Lotrek's standard courts. I also feel that the handling of the Arabesque deck is better, not that I use either for anything other than looking. Finally, if I look closely, there are very small black or red marks on the foil in the borders (not sure if it's just my deck). Anyway, before I get stoned for blasphemy, just gonna say that Damask is a great deck, I just prefer the Arabesque.
Merlebird

KT52 wrote:Ok, I might be alone on this one, but I liked Arabesque more than Damask. I really like the Jokers for the Damask deck and the foiling technology is amazing, but the reason I like Arabesque better is the art on the court cards. While the foiling for the Damask court cards are great, they don't appear novel compared with Lotrek's standard courts. I also feel that the handling of the Arabesque deck is better, not that I use either for anything other than looking. Finally, if I look closely, there are very small black or red marks on the foil in the borders (not sure if it's just my deck). Anyway, before I get stoned for blasphemy, just gonna say that Damask is a great deck, I just prefer the Arabesque.
You're definitely not alone in preferring the look of Arabesque. The Damask courts aren't unappealing - they're well-executed - but at the end of the day they're still very standard Anglo-American courts. It feels more like an exercise in pushing the limits of deck craftsmanship, rather than deck artistry. I know some folks are all about the technical specs, and there's always the argument that more foil is better; who orders a four-cheese pizza when a six-cheese pizza is on the menu? But I personally would've preferred a more custom, less stylized feel, even if it meant (heresy!) paring back the application of foils. A more delicate, baroque aesthetic, something along the lines of the Venexiana courts, would've paired well with the theme, I think.

Don't @ me, fanboys. :geek:
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Damask wasn't simply to put as many different foils together as possible, in my opinion. It mainly was to use new combinations of foil, like the two-tone gold patterns (which are breathtaking). Again, you have this heavy use of foil in much more complex patterns than in Golden Oath. I like both the Arabesque and the Damask as well-crafted decks. I do think there is a valid point in preferring the Arabesque from an artistic point of view, but I could also make a case for the art in the Damask as well. If push came to shove, I really like the Arabesque a bit more at this point. I kind of like just white stock sometimes too. Especially when combined with great art and lots of foil. I do consider the Damask as a worthy improvement on Golden Oath.

I guess if you want something really different from Lotrek, you will get that in spades when he finishes the Hieronymus Bosch deck.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

It wouldn't take too long for 30 decks to sell. These are better than Arabesque and Golden Oath to me. These, Golden Oath then Arabesque.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
KT52

Unread post by KT52 »

Bikefanatic wrote:It wouldn't take too long for 30 decks to sell. These are better than Arabesque and Golden Oath to me. These, Golden Oath then Arabesque.
Wanna make a trade? ;)
Bikefanatic

KT52 wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:It wouldn't take too long for 30 decks to sell. These are better than Arabesque and Golden Oath to me. These, Golden Oath then Arabesque.
Wanna make a trade? ;)
Make a trade for what?
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

KT52

Unread post by KT52 »

Bikefanatic wrote:
KT52 wrote:
Wanna make a trade? ;)
Make a trade for what?
Ill trade my Damask for an Arabesque (if you have any extras)
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Received mine today, #31 and I was finished inside of a minute of going live, damn some people are quick! It's beautiful of course, and the finish is definitely the most slippery so far, when balancing the loose stack on my hand it's comparable to USPCC, unfortunately I don't actually know how to do anything such as shuffling/fanning etc to really test it. I also like Arabesque more (it and Sanctus are definitely in my top 20 of all time), and that mostly comes down to the artwork being more custom and a more subtle use of foil on the cards (my Golden Oath, though great compared to normal decks, is quite likely my least favourite Lotrek deck I own, seems I'm in the minority on that). Damn are these Jokers pretty, it's been a long time since grotesque, please in the future give us a full deck of courts in that style!
Bikefanatic

KT52 wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:
KT52 wrote:
Wanna make a trade? ;)
Make a trade for what?
Ill trade my Damask for an Arabesque (if you have any extras)
I don't have extras. Bradius may have plenty of them left. ;)

-Lotrek

Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Actually, I long ago committed to trading a Arabesque Gold and have already traded an Arabesque for I think I a Golden Oath. They can go rather quickly. At this point I am holding onto my remaining Arabesque decks.
Bikefanatic

For people who bought the red decks this past Saturday, where will they be shipped from and do we ask for a tracking number?

-Lotrek

Magic Tapp

Bikefanatic wrote:For people who bought the red decks this past Saturday, where will they be shipped from and do we ask for a tracking number?
Judging by the way the decks of the "sight unseen" batch were shipped, they would come from Greece and you would need to send Lotrek a message to ask for the tracking number. He usually responds very promptly.
HFMJ

Unread post by HFMJ »

Lotrek wrote on an earlier post in this thread that he has about 40 remaining red decks, that he will hand to Gamblers Warehouse for fulfillment. Maybe the US orders will be fulfilled by them.
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

Received my Red Damask today in Australia.

On the whole quite happy. The tuck and card faces are quite breathtaking and the courts are well suited by the composition of the foil application.

The only real shortcomings on my particular deck are registration (they are all slightly tilted with the frame toward the top right) and my ten of hearts appears to have been printed in the wrong order (ie the pip is beneath some of the gold patterning). The border is also significantly washed out and visibly different to all of the other cards (none of which have this issue at all).

Overall another most worthy addition to my Lotrek collection, well done.
Attachments
2A63384C-DD70-45EE-9D9B-EE0532FCC28E.jpeg
2A63384C-DD70-45EE-9D9B-EE0532FCC28E.jpeg (201.35 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
FACB6802-551A-4CF5-88FA-E4EEFF57EB2F.jpeg
FACB6802-551A-4CF5-88FA-E4EEFF57EB2F.jpeg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
BC0EE261-97CB-435C-8D22-AA7BC504F20B.jpeg
BC0EE261-97CB-435C-8D22-AA7BC504F20B.jpeg (183.02 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

While that's really unfortunate, it kinda looks cool, I mean the 10oH index printing.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

My 10 of Hearts is fine, so I don't know what happened to yours. That is odd. I just wanted to confirm that it was not a problem with all of the decks.
IMG_0030.JPG
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Still can't get over that pineapple on the top and bottom of each card...
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

That weird 10 of Hearts is a misprint that will be replaced. But it's cool, indeed! :lol:

The decks that were sold on Friday are expected tomorrow to be at GW from where they'll be shipped asap. You'll be notified by them for the tracking#.
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

Lotrek has kindly been in touch to arrange replacement of the defective 10 of hearts.

Greatly appreciated.
Lughnasadhuk

Unread post by Lughnasadhuk »

Do we know when the Blue Damask will become available to the Red Damask pre-backers?
Magic Tapp

Lughnasadhuk wrote:Do we know when the Blue Damask will become available to the Red Damask pre-backers?
I think someone here mentioned that an email should go out by the end of the month.