Oath Mystery deck #2: DAMASK

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Oath Mystery deck #2: DAMASK

Unread post by Lotrek »

Okay, here's where I'm supposed to throw an insult and never step my foot (fingers, actually) to the forum again!

PipChick, you put it wonderfully and if you're not already you should become a lawyer or even better, a Diplomat!

Jokes aside, we do have an issue here, although different from what I expected. My fear was that you would complain for not printing more blue decks. Apparently the problem is that I printed the blue deck altogether.

It feels strange to be called a liar when I know that: a) I didn't lie b) You're justified to believe I did. I explain:

When I said that this is going to be the only variation, that was the plan. I didn't have in mind the blue at all. But before a begin the foiling, I came across a catalogue with beautiful foil colors and I was just blown away by that turquoise blue. Without much thinking about it, I printed another 150 sheets in blue stock and ordered that damned foil. I thought it would be a very beautiful deck and a cool "extra" to show to the Convention.

How much creativity does it take to do a color variation? Not much, really. I suppose you just need to have an eye to see it before it's done. But sometimes it's so beautiful that you just want to see it done.

I'm always open to criticism and since I know you love my work, I never see your negative comments as "bitching" but as lessons from the collective wisdom here and I'm grateful for that. To cut a long story short:

Should I have resisted the temptation to do the blue deck?
-Absolutely.

Would I ever do that again?
-By all means, no!

Was it a cheap promotional trick?
-No, just a very expensive print run

Was it a plot to make TwoPiece buy the deck?
-Yes but it didn't work. He's too stubborn.
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
ICantShuffle
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Bicycle Venexianas
Decks Owned: 270

Unread post by ICantShuffle »

Seriously? F^&* that person. Edit: F^&* you, "playingcards.net". I am never buying from you ever again.
I don't mean to piss in your Cheerios, TwoPiece, but you'll have to stop patronizing anyone that uses Gambler's Warehouse for fulfillment services as well, as I believe PlayingCards.net is GW's on-line retail front end for playing cards. :(
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Lotrek wrote: Was it a plot to make TwoPiece buy the deck?
-Yes but it didn't work. He's too stubborn.
I'm dying. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the best response ever. Honestly, I'm not even bothered anymore.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by JacksandJokers »

Lotrek wrote: Jokes aside, we do have an issue here, although different from what I expected. My fear was that you would complain for not printing more blue decks. Apparently the problem is that I printed the blue deck altogether.
Lotrek: I don't think the issue is with either of these. I think it was more of a case of not informing anyone.

Next time (& I know there will be one :lol: ), Just shoot an email to all those people who bought the deck blind saying "Look guys, I'm just letting you know there will be 2 variants of this deck & I'll contact you after the 52+ Joker convention if you're interested in buying a slightly different version".

At least then we'll be aware and will have an extra month or 2 to save for it. :D
theCapraAegagrus

ICantShuffle wrote:
Seriously? F^&* that person. Edit: F^&* you, "playingcards.net". I am never buying from you ever again.
I don't mean to piss in your Cheerios, TwoPiece, but you'll have to stop patronizing anyone that uses Gambler's Warehouse for fulfillment services as well, as I believe PlayingCards.net is GW's on-line retail front end for playing cards. :(
That's not really how it works. I just won't be giving PCN my money ever again. If I give Lorenzo my money, and he uses GW for fulfillment, I'm not going to punish him (or myself) by not supporting his fabulous work.

Also, I don't eat Cheerios. I eat, almost exclusively, cereals with "Crunch" in their brand. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Captain Crunch, Raisin Bran Crunch, etc. Frosted Mini Wheats are an exception.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Hi, all.

So, Lotrek, I love the red Damask. It looks awesome and I can't wait to receive mine.

I love the blue Damask. It looks stunning. I'm glad you're going to give your original backers a chance to pick this up, as I most definitely want to bring both into my collection. Like, very much. I would be super unhappy if I didn't have a chance to pick up the blue, so I'm really, really glad you're going to give me and my fellow backers/supporters a chance to pick that up.

Nobody here is asking you to stifle your creativity. Please, keep at it!

That said... allow me to suggest that in the future, you simply consider using the words "I intend" instead of "I guarantee." Likewise, "probably" instead of "absolutely." We realize that English is not your first language, but I think the subtle differences between these sets of words will go a long way toward reducing hurt feelings.

With love to all my fellow collectors and to Lotrek and all our playing card designers here, as well.

:)
This space intentionally left blank.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I second what misterharmanko said. I was just too slow to say it. Just let us know and vet it out (even if we don't know what the deck actually is). We may prefer to change our order from 4x of one to 2x of two, or from 2x of one to 1x of each or adding two more so they can get 2x of each. Then you would have a good idea of what to print and less people would be upset. Just understand if you said you were going to make them an edible chocolate frogs, someone is still bound to get upset. It is an occupational hazard of being a deck designer I think.

Now, how do I get Gambler's warehouse to accidently slip that Blue Damask into my next order? If only I could pull off a Confundus charm... :mrgreen:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
ICantShuffle

That's not really how it works. I just won't be giving PCN my money ever again. If I give Lorenzo my money, and he uses GW for fulfillment, I'm not going to punish him (or myself) by not supporting his fabulous work.
You'd still be providing a revenue stream indirectly to GW/PCN in that situation. But, if you're okay with that, I wouldn't want to miss out on someone's work I liked because of that.
I eat, almost exclusively, cereals with "Crunch" in their brand. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Captain Crunch, Raisin Bran Crunch, etc. Frosted Mini Wheats are an exception.
That's quite the contrast, there, from cereals that do well maintaining their crunchiness in milk, to frosted mini wheats which are known for basically disintegrating from the surface tension alone of milk. I don't eat cereal very often, but when I do it's Cap'n Crunch Berries.
theCapraAegagrus

ICantShuffle wrote:
You'd still be providing a revenue stream indirectly to GW/PCN in that situation. But, if you're okay with that, I wouldn't want to miss out on someone's work I liked because of that.
I eat, almost exclusively, cereals with "Crunch" in their brand. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Captain Crunch, Raisin Bran Crunch, etc. Frosted Mini Wheats are an exception.
That's quite the contrast, there, from cereals that do well maintaining their crunchiness in milk, to frosted mini wheats which are known for basically disintegrating from the surface tension alone of milk. I don't eat cereal very often, but when I do it's Cap'n Crunch Berries.
Once the money is in someone else's hands, I don't care where it goes. Cocaine, hookers, GW... GW and PCN aren't one and the same, though, as far as I'm aware. PCN is a store and GW is fulfillment. I could be wrong but that's how they used to operate.

Frosted Mini Wheats is my go-to, #1, cereal. Relatively healthy, don't scratch the roof of my mouth, and not tiny little sugar pieces to choke me. My mind is still blown that they ceased production of Cinnamon Frosted Mini Wheats years ago. They don't disintegrate as much as just become milk-drunk pillows of fiber. I've loved them since I was around 13.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

TwoPiece wrote:I've loved them since I was around 13.
Oh, so you've loved them since last year? :lol: :lol:

I keed, I keed. Razzle Dazzle Rice Krispies. May they rest in peace.
theCapraAegagrus

vasta41 wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:I've loved them since I was around 13.
Oh, so you've loved them since last year? :lol: :lol:

I keed, I keed. Razzle Dazzle Rice Krispies. May they rest in peace.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
ICantShuffle

Apple Cinnamon Rice Krispies....

Yeah...

Y'know, just eatin my cereal... in the park... listenin' to In Utero...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Lotrek wrote:It feels strange to be called a liar when I know that: a) I didn't lie b) You're justified to believe I did. I explain:

When I said that this is going to be the only variation, that was the plan. I didn't have in mind the blue at all. But before a begin the foiling, I came across a catalogue with beautiful foil colors and I was just blown away by that turquoise blue. Without much thinking about it, I printed another 150 sheets in blue stock and ordered that damned foil. I thought it would be a very beautiful deck and a cool "extra" to show to the Convention.
As I was one who used the word "lie", I'll admit it wasn't the best choice considering it implies malicious intent. That's why I said "intentional lie", but perhaps I could have formulated a better phrase. Like I said, though, it's important to understand that the end result is the same; you said something that turned out not to be factual (albeit at a later time), and that makes your customers upset and future customers wary. What may just have been an off-handed comment that felt right at the time to you, was a professional guarantee to your customers.

Ok, I've rambled on long enough. What's done is done, and what misterharmanko and rouselle said are good examples of what should have happened or should happen in future situations. Live and learn :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
caniveski
White Whale: Bicycle Burton
Decks Owned: 800

Unread post by caniveski »

If there are 120 odd blue decks. 16 are gone. Down to 104...if there are more than 104 buyers of red damask, if everybody wants a blue one, then there will be disappointment even more so if people are after 2, 3, 4 of the blue ones.....
ICantShuffle

Limiting it to one per buyer might be a good way to go.

I got 2 of the Red decks when the presale was open. I'm only anticipating one blue deck. That would probably ensure those of us that want one get one.
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

ICantShuffle wrote:Limiting it to one per buyer might be a good way to go.

I got 2 of the Red decks when the presale was open. I'm only anticipating one blue deck. That would probably ensure those of us that want one get one.
That is a very sensible solution. Otherwise, we will see more blue decks on eBay...
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

We will still see some more on eBay for sure. Some really don't want it, but will get it for it's resale opportunity. I guess even though I bought three mystery decks, I also get an option for one. Well, given my drained bank account, I guess that is a good third-party imposed restraint on me.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

@MagicFingerz: Malicious intend is too crappy even for the worst side of myself. Messing things up due to my inclination to improvising, yes. That's me... :roll:
English is not my first language (it's getting to be though) but I know the difference between "intend" and "guarantee" and I'll make sure to keep a safe distance from the latter in the future.

I'm happy this conversation evolved to an in-depth analysis of cereal eating habits, I'd like to let you know though that the decks have already been sent from Greece about 2 days ago, full of Hellenic Post stamps etc. and regarding the Blue Deck:

There is going to be an absolute and strict limit of 1 deck per person. Only Damask Red backers will be personally notified by email, not a newsletter and this will be when I'll be getting back to Greece. Meanwhile, make sure not to spend all of your money to Giovanni and Jackson's Kickstarters. :lol: :lol:

@TwoPiece: ;)
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
pstaehlin
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by pstaehlin »

Lotrek,
"There is going to be an absolute and strict limit of 1 deck per person. Only Damask Red backers will be personally notified by email, not a newsletter and this will be when I'll be getting back to Greece. Meanwhile, make sure not to spend all of your money to Giovanni and Jackson's Kickstarters."

I'll be looking forward to your personal email about the other deck. ;-)

Thank you for all your work.
Magistrate1500

Unread post by Magistrate1500 »

Lotrek wrote:@MagicFingerz: Malicious intend is too crappy even for the worst side of myself. Messing things up due to my inclination to improvising, yes. That's me... :roll:
English is not my first language (it's getting to be though) but I know the difference between "intend" and "guarantee" and I'll make sure to keep a safe distance from the latter in the future.

I'm happy this conversation evolved to an in-depth analysis of cereal eating habits, I'd like to let you know though that the decks have already been sent from Greece about 2 days ago, full of Hellenic Post stamps etc. and regarding the Blue Deck:

There is going to be an absolute and strict limit of 1 deck per person. Only Damask Red backers will be personally notified by email, not a newsletter and this will be when I'll be getting back to Greece. Meanwhile, make sure not to spend all of your money to Giovanni and Jackson's Kickstarters. :lol: :lol:

@TwoPiece: ;)
Notice he didn’t mention his cereal preference. Clearly he is a monster!
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

although I am more partial to fruit oatmeal myself.
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

Bradius wrote:Image

Ah - the "two youts" movie - one of my absolute favourites...
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

Whew, what a controversy! I'd feel remiss if I didn't weigh in and say:

All-Marshmallow Lucky Charms is clearly the best cereal and if you had even a shred of intellectual honesty you'd admit that, you hacks. :x

As far as cards go: if I had my druthers I'd've gotten just the blue version, if I'd bought one at all. As it stands I don't know if I'll keep the red one; I knew when I ordered that I was taking a gamble on whether or not the courts would be "custom enough" for me, and while I agree that foil is shiny, and that five foils is very shiny, I don't know if I'm magpie enough to keep something just because it's shiny. But knowing that the blue variant will only be offered to Damask Red buyers, I feel like I'm leaving money on the table if I don't pick one up.

I don't know. I never wanted to get into deck reselling or speculation - I resent opportunists trying to make a buck as much as the next hobbyist - but it feels like that's the behavior that's being encouraged, and it doesn't sit well with me.
ICantShuffle

My god man! Steaks well done, fruit oatmeal... what's next...? Are you going to tell me you drive a Prius instead of an F-350?

Aaahh... stereotypes...
Merlebird

ICantShuffle wrote:
My god man! Steaks well done, fruit oatmeal... what's next...?
Fruit is delicious. What do you put in your oatmeal? Sadness?
ICantShuffle

I put oats in my oatmeal. The way the one and only true god intended it.

Heathen.

okay maybe brown sugar and cinnamon sometimes, but then I pay my penance
Merlebird

ICantShuffle wrote:I put oats in my oatmeal. The way the one and only true god intended it.

Heathen.
If eating your oatmeal plain is the one true path I will face God and walk backwards into hell.
ICantShuffle

Just remember that Steven Tyler agapes you.

However, walking backwards ain't a bad idea, I do it so the streets can't front on me.
KT52

Unread post by KT52 »

Hi Lotrek, firstly thank you for honoring the original buyers by allowing them first dibs for the blue ones. The answer will probably be "No" but still wanted to ask... would it be possible to swap out one of the red decks for a blue deck? I bought 3 reds and a Sanctus deck so my wallet is stretched a little thin right now to add another blue (not that I wouldn't). Thanks for considering!
Pablo393
Decks Owned: 634

Unread post by Pablo393 »

I do not eat cereal anymore because they have wrecked the cereals from my youth. Everything is too colorful and fake and nasty. In the 1970's you could have Crunchberries, Trix, Fruity Pebbles, Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks and it tasted and felt good. Nowadays I walk down the cereal aisle at the store and just shake my head. I will also give a shout out to the original Cookie Crisp cereal before they wrecked it. Alpha-bit cereal and Sugar Corn Pops were also decent. Now I just eat eggs, smoothies, pancakes, etc.....Getting old sucks.