The House of the Rising Spade

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
JuFiN
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: The House of the Rising Spade

Unread post by JuFiN »

TwoPiece wrote:The backs of my Cartamundi deck are chipping...

If I ignore the poor registration on the Faro deck, it is truly beautiful. It's a complaint that I can get over when playing games with the deck.

It's looking like I won't be opening another Cartomancer deck after this one. I am so disappointed in their production for this.

My decks are both flawless and beautiful. I think you might have just gotten a dud that slipped past quality control.

These have immediately become one of my favorite decks in my collection. The foil on the Cartimancer variant is blindingly bright, just fantastic. And the metallic inks combined with the clean look of the Faro deck also really pops a lot more than I expected. I anticipated liking the Cartomancer deck a lot more as I am a sucker for foil but while the Cartomancer deck definitely didn't disappoint the Faro deck manages to hold its own. (Cartomancer still my favorite though :ugdance: )
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

TwoPiece wrote:The backs of my Cartamundi deck are chipping...
Do you mean the gold is peeling off of the cards? :o
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I finally got my decks in. Initially, these were going to be the first decks from Lorenzo that I wasn't going to buy because they aren't really playable. But once the KS campaign started and I found out they were going to be foiled, I pulled the trigger since I'm such a sucker for foil. These tucks have some of the deepest embossing I've ever seen on a deck of cards, and I always appreciate the little design details that Lorenzo incorporates, such as the unique thumb cut-outs on the tucks. Of the ones I've opened so far, both the Cartomancer and Faro editions are perfectly registered and flawless. It's interesting to compare the two printers.

The Carta Mundi Cartomancer deck is about 3 cards thicker than the USPCC Faro deck when stacked side by side, partly due in part to the black ink and foiling. But even though the Cartomancer deck is thicker, it is slightly softer with less snap than the Faro deck. I'm in California (where it is dry) and even after just a few minutes with a little bit of handling, my Cartomancer deck is already bowing a bit, while my Faro deck is still flat. The thing that blows me away about the Cartomancer deck is that the finish is every bit as smooth and even as the Air Cushioned Faro deck. And we're talking about a foiled deck. I'm just going to say it now, Carta Mundi finish is just as good as the USPCC.

I love the foil on the Cartomancer deck, although I much prefer the pip size and layout of the Faro deck. But neither deck is very playable due to it being difficult to quickly tell apart the Kings and Jacks (especially on the Diamonds, where the King looks like a knight, which is more associated with Jacks) but I knew that going in. I'm very happy with these and while I may not play poker with these as much, they're a very worthy add to the collection.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Just received my decks today, too.

TwoPiece, it sounds like you got a bad couple decks and you may want to ask if you can swap those out for replacements. I only opened one of each, so it's hardly a large sample size, but both decks were perfectly aligned, and the printing is top notch. The tuck cases are exquisite. The foiling is the freakin' bomb. The design, the use of the metallic ink on the Faro variant... yeah, pretty much everything is amazing.

I should have ordered uncuts of these. These definitely are begging to be seen and appreciated. I'm going to figure something out, because these are too delicious to keep hidden away.
This space intentionally left blank.
badpete69

Unread post by badpete69 »

rousselle wrote:Just received my decks today, too.

TwoPiece, it sounds like you got a bad couple decks and you may want to ask if you can swap those out for replacements. I only opened one of each, so it's hardly a large sample size, but both decks were perfectly aligned, and the printing is top notch. The tuck cases are exquisite. The foiling is the freakin' bomb. The design, the use of the metallic ink on the Faro variant... yeah, pretty much everything is amazing.

I should have ordered uncuts of these. These definitely are begging to be seen and appreciated. I'm going to figure something out, because these are too delicious to keep hidden away.
Allan when both my uncuts are framed and hanging in my office, stop by the house to admire them... That and maybe a good 22 year old single malt scotch hehe
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

As I said, outside of the border registration (which is always a problem at USPCC), the Faro deck is outstanding. It's nothing unusual for a deck of USPCC cards but it's definitely an extreme example of how bad their cutting process is.

Maybe I do in fact have a bad deck of Cartomancer cards. I must be going through what the people who received bad examples of the Legal Tender decks did. The black paint (and foil) is chipping off all the edges (on both sides of the cards) and I haven't even shuffled the freaking deck yet. I guess I'll contact Lorenzo and see if he'd like to replace it.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Smocito

Unread post by Smocito »

I've just received my decks in Portugal.

Truly outstanding work by Lorenzo on both decks, gate, card guard and stickers and also by Lotrek on the boxes.

I can't wait to receive the uncuts and have them framed :)
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

I just got my set I ordered through the Stockholm website and I like them very much. I have not opened the black deck yet.

I really like the detail on the inside of the tuck, I was not expecting that. Does that "plaque" on the inside of the tuck and on the extra card have a translation?

A final question. I am new to this hobby. On the cards themselves, is the gold an example of cold foiling or is that a very metallic ink?
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

STLBluesNut wrote:I really like the detail on the inside of the tuck, I was not expecting that. Does that "plaque" on the inside of the tuck and on the extra card have a translation?
I have only the Cartomancer (black) variant, so I don't know if the internal tuck printing is the same on the Faro (white) version. But assuming the extra card is more or less the same for both versions, I can tell you that the inscription on the tuck flap is a cipher and that the key to solving it is on that extra card. You may also find something here helpful.

Apologies for being insufferably cryptic. If Lorenzo pops in and says it's all right I don't mind giving (what I believe to be) the answer, but since I haven't seen him discuss it he may prefer it not to be spoiled for others.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Just picked mine up. Holy ...!! Lorenzo & Lotrek, you’ve outdone yourselves. Was initially skeptical about spending AU$250 on 5 decks - no longer.
ICantShuffle
White Whale: Bicycle Venexianas
Decks Owned: 270

Unread post by ICantShuffle »

So, I got my second set in the mail. One of the Cartomancer deck's cellophane already had a small tear, so I just finished the job.

So glad I did. These are amazing, the colors are nice and rich, the whole deck is a bold statement and man, these things glide like butter on a hot skillet, even with the foiling! My only regret in life is that I will never get to experience that feeling of opening the tuck and unwrapping the deck again.

This is an incredible deck at this price point. Jesus man, it was like a religious experience, totally not what I was expecting. A+
gcxmr2

Unread post by gcxmr2 »

ICantShuffle wrote:So, I got my second set in the mail. One of the Cartomancer deck's cellophane already had a small tear, so I just finished the job.

So glad I did. These are amazing, the colors are nice and rich, the whole deck is a bold statement and man, these things glide like butter on a hot skillet, even with the foiling! My only regret in life is that I will never get to experience that feeling of opening the tuck and unwrapping the deck again.

This is an incredible deck at this price point. Jesus man, it was like a religious experience, totally not what I was expecting. A+
Yeah I just got my cards the other day. Upon opening the cartomancer deck, the foil just glows.. they handle fantastic too. So glad I decided to get more the the cartomancer variant than the faro. If only I could get them gilded in gold to match, that will make it so epic.
ICantShuffle

I honestly feel like gilding would be too much.

It's perfect.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Got my decks today.

The Cartomancer variant is the best deck of playing cards that has ever been made on this planet. Fight me TwoPiece.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
ICantShuffle

I would add qualifiers to that Roope.

It is an amazing deck to be sure, though, especially at that price point.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Räpylätassu wrote:Got my decks today.

The Cartomancer variant is the best deck of playing cards that has ever been made on this planet. Fight me TwoPiece.

I haven't gotten in contact with Lorenzo, yet, to see if he'd be willing to replace my open deck. It's just not that good. I'm hoping, and thinking, I just got an outlier of a bad quality product.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

Absolutely love the Faro (USPCC) variant. Crisp white with golden inks ..wow. Add foil to the artwork and reprint in white :D IMHO foil on borders is too shiny + for some reasons there is more yellow in the Cartomancer variant vs Faro. But it's nice to see gold foil as is without coloring on top. Metalluxe technology is dead IMHO.

Both decks are very well made. Thanks.
niceguy0750

Re: The House of the Rising Spade (wap)

Unread post by niceguy0750 »

Can somebody show me how to post pics, it kept saying my file too big but I can’t reduce the size. Thanks
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I have to use three editors to crop, change format and then compress the pictures, but you can projust change the picture quality on your phone camera settings.
Spectre
Decks Owned: 3000

Unread post by Spectre »

I recently had this same problem. For an iPhone, i found an app simply called Image Size that worked fine. I'm not sure if the app is available for other platforms, but if it is not, I'm sure there is another app that will do the same thing.
niceguy0750

Thanks, let me play around with it!!
niceguy0750

I finally got these uncut sheet framed last week from the House of the Rising Spade and the Gemini been framed a while back.
Attachments
FCA534CF-02D9-47E2-ACDB-A8119858F649.jpeg
6C60D984-CA12-4A5D-9201-D806A1D8CED9.jpeg
219F31FC-B624-4E26-B27C-252A6E6210B5.jpeg
niceguy0750

Spectre wrote:I recently had this same problem. For an iPhone, i found an app simply called Image Size that worked fine. I'm not sure if the app is available for other platforms, but if it is not, I'm sure there is another app that will do the same thing.
Thanks Spectre, I tried that app and I think it works perfectly!!
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Lorenzo, if I were ever to fall back into this playing card collecting rabbit hole, it would be because I gave in and purchased one of your decks.
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

That Cartomancer Uncut may just be the only uncut sheet I have ever liked, even my other half would have no problem hanging that up on the wall.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I just noticed that Lorenzo has added additional decks for sale including 3 more mixed brick sets in the custom brick case for only $1,700 SEK (about $188). Definitely cheaper than the one listed on eBay for $350. Just in case you don’t run out of money on all the Black Friday sales.
hawk199

Unread post by hawk199 »

Sher wrote:Lorenzo, if I were ever to fall back into this playing card collecting rabbit hole, it would be because I gave in and purchased one of your decks.
It worth getting a few of this if u plan to use it. Worth the price since loterk also did the tuck case
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

In addition to the three mixed bricks that Lorenzo has on his storefront, he has also added 15 of the Card Guards. If you didn't get one during the campaign, you should really consider it. They are stunning. I am not a collector of the dealer coins, but I really like this design.

https://stockholm17.myshopify.com/produ ... card-guard for 150 SEK, or it is showing as $16.43 USD. This is a lot cheaper than the one on eBay for $28.

Edit:

It is worth rechecking Lorenzo's website. He has also added some of the 6 deck carat cases from the HotrS campaign. They have gone up in price, but still not bad. I bought two extra cases during the campaign to put half-brick sets in them. They make a great display for the decks, although I do like the brick boxes as well. It is just nice to see the decks.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

Well, well, well... Lorenzo just announced a HoTRS tarot deck. That would be epic.

Lorenzo - please, please, please do an uncut sheet [emoji120]
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Magic Tapp wrote:Well, well, well... Lorenzo just announced a HoTRS tarot deck. That would be epic.

Lorenzo - please, please, please do an uncut sheet [emoji120]
he announced WHAT!?!?! WHERE?!?? A TAROT!

YES! the House is getting another addition! That's awesome - YAY!! :ugdance: