Moon Deck (Sailor Moon) by Steve Minty

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
PrincessTrouble
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Moon Deck (Sailor Moon) by Steve Minty

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Gold foil card backs. Holographic card faces. Custom die cut holographic seal. Gold foil and embossed tuck box. Available at Geek Thirst.

https://www.geekthirst.com/products/moo ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Re: Moon Deck (Sailor Moon) by Steve Minty

Unread post by vasta41 »

This is not my style at all but this is a great price ($24.38, shipped in the US) for a Steve Minty foiled back deck! I wonder who printed these? Also, I wonder what "Holographic card faces" means? I will probably get these, if they don't sell out, but I'll wait until printer info is revealed.
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

vasta41 wrote:This is not my style at all but this is a great price ($24.38, shipped in the US) for a Steve Minty foiled back deck! I wonder who printed these? Also, I wonder what "Holographic card faces" means? I will probably get these, if they don't sell out, but I'll wait until printer info is revealed.
This is the same company in which the Z-deck was designed & created for so it's likely that perhaps the same printer was used as well (USPCC) - or at least that's what I would suspect.

I wonder what, if any, other old-school anime decks he's been working on...?? pretty cool but sadly, shipping to Germany for 1-3 decks is $22.33 (!!!) :x

If someone - anyone - out there wants to gift me this deck, please feel free to :D
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Holy f^&* these are really nice.

Holographic foil is on those squiggly borders around the indexes and pips.

Wasn't the Z-Deck printed by EPCC..?
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

PipChick wrote:I wonder what, if any, other old-school anime decks he's been working on...?? pretty cool but sadly, shipping to Germany for 1-3 decks is $22.33 (!!!) :x

If someone - anyone - out there wants to gift me this deck, please feel free to :D
I got you, Amy. Anybody else outside the US wanna duck those shipping fees? It doesn't mention anything about it being a limited edition but since it's Minty I probably shouldn't wait longer than a day to put in the order.
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

TwoPiece wrote:Wasn't the Z-Deck printed by EPCC..?
you're right; it was EPCC - my mistake lol
Merlebird wrote:
PipChick wrote:I wonder what, if any, other old-school anime decks he's been working on...?? pretty cool but sadly, shipping to Germany for 1-3 decks is $22.33 (!!!) :x

I got you, Amy. Anybody else outside the US wanna duck those shipping fees? It doesn't mention anything about it being a limited edition but since it's Minty I probably shouldn't wait longer than a day to put in the order.
and that would be A-MAZ-ING! <333
Lughnasadhuk

Unread post by Lughnasadhuk »

Merlebird wrote:

Merlebird, if you are serious about forwarding on to Europe with more reasonable shipping costs I would love to grab a single deck!
Merlebird

Lughnasadhuk wrote:Merlebird, if you are serious about forwarding on to Europe with more reasonable shipping costs I would love to grab a single deck!
As long as you're somewhere that UPS/FedEx/DHL service without too much fuss or extra charges/bribes for local postmasters I can figure it out, yeah. Just guessing from your username: are you in Ireland? I don't need full address yet, obviously, just trying to get a general idea of where it needs to go. As long as you aren't on the actual moon I'll PM for the nitty-gritty once the decks come in.
VXD
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by VXD »

We will have to look into this deck, but if they are using transparent holographic foil (as opposed to silver-backed or other metalized holographic foil) anywhere on the card faces, they will have infringed our patent (U.S Patent No. 8,777,225).

We are ready to enforce our patent, and also have a duty to warn any creators of the existence of it....not that it is our responsibility to do so - that lies with other playing card creators.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE & SHOP:
https://vxdgaming.com/
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by JacksandJokers »

vasta41 wrote: I wonder what "Holographic card faces" means?
Looking at the images it looks like some form of holographic foil has been used on the indices.

Merlebird wrote:It doesn't mention anything about it being a limited edition
If they were printed with EPCC, as with the Z deck, then I would guess it would be a 1000 deck print run.

PipChick wrote:sadly, shipping to Germany for 1-3 decks is $22.33
Free International shipping with orders of $200 - I just ordered some.

If anyone is looking for these with a slightly reduced shipping cost let me know. (Shipping from the UK)

I have also just sent them a message asking who the printer was & if they know the number of decks printed :D
Merlebird

VXD wrote:We will have to look into this deck, but if they are using transparent holographic foil (as opposed to silver-backed or other metalized holographic foil) anywhere on the card faces, they will have infringed our patent (U.S Patent No. 8,777,225).
I can't tell without the deck in hand, of course, but it looks like they're safe. These appear to be actual photos, not renders, and the only details that look like they have a holofoil effect seem to be details that are already silver-colored (the Jack's weapons, KoS's hair, the indices).

EDIT: Looks like gold and red foils are used as well, but again, only solid colors that could easily be done with traditional metallic holofoil.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

The holographic foil is on the indices.

EDIT: The sword also looks a bit holographic in this pic. So maybe more than the indices.

VXD
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by VXD »

Looking at these photos....it looks to me like transparent holographics MAY have been used, but I can only see silver-backed holograpahic areas on these photos myself, I believe. If Merlebird is right in saying that there are gold and also red holographic areas, then it becomes far more likely this is an infringement. You would not likely use 2 or more different color metalised backs when transparent holographic foil over these different color base inks would achieve basically the same look, due to excessive cost of manufacture.

If it transpires so, we will have to get in touch with our patent lawyers about this.

We spent 3.5 years and $50 000 to secure the patent and we will certainly enforce it.

N.B - it makes no difference where on the faces the transparent holographics are used, our patent does not feature any limitation on the location.
Lughnasadhuk

Unread post by Lughnasadhuk »

Merlebird wrote:
Lughnasadhuk wrote:Merlebird, if you are serious about forwarding on to Europe with more reasonable shipping costs I would love to grab a single deck!
As long as you're somewhere that UPS/FedEx/DHL service without too much fuss or extra charges/bribes for local postmasters I can figure it out, yeah. Just guessing from your username: are you in Ireland? I don't need full address yet, obviously, just trying to get a general idea of where it needs to go. As long as you aren't on the actual moon I'll PM for the nitty-gritty once the decks come in.
Hi, located in Scotland so nothing special regards shipping. Thank you for this :D
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

VXD wrote:Looking at these photos....it looks to me like transparent holographics MAY have been used. You would not use 2 or more different color metalised backs when transparent over all the base ink colors would achieve the same.

If it transpires so, we will have to get in touch with our patent lawyers about this.

We spent 3.5 years and $50 000 to secure the patent and we will certainly enforce it.

N.B - it makes no difference where on the faces the transparent holographics are used, our patent does not feature any limitation on the location.
It's probably the same method of foiling that EPCC used on both the Chameleons Green deck and the 2015 52+ Joker Deck. An iridescent, not really holographic, foil.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
VXD
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by VXD »

TwoPiece

Yes....it would seem the most plausible. Alloy was fine too....again these are metalised foils (i.e silver or gold backed etc). Bill and I have in fact been in talks about future production possibilities, so if it is an EPCC creation and owned product then I am pretty sure it will be fine. It is most likely the new Perfecta Foil they have, which I believe is metalised, as opposed to transparent.
VXD
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Moon Deck (Sailor Moon) by Steve Minty (wap)

Unread post by VXD »

FYI - EPCC have nothing to do with the deck...just confirmed to me by Bill.

I wonder who has produced this then and whether there will in fact be some fireworks here......
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Honestly, just looking at them it is fairly clear they are not using a technology close to what VXD is using.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
ICantShuffle
White Whale: Bicycle Venexianas
Decks Owned: 270

Unread post by ICantShuffle »

It might be Long Pack or WJPC.

WJPC did a good job with the registration on the foiling for Bharata 2, the foiling here looks pretty good too, with some imperfections-- to be expected with foil not done by Lotrek. The only reason I suggest Long Pack is the embossing looks similar to some cards I have for a recent board game release that was printed by them.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Simply judging by how the bottom of the tuck is, well tucked, it can't be USPCC either (also, no mention of MetalLuxe which isn't a dead giveaway but close- if you're gonna use it you advertise it).
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Just had a reply from Geekthirst. All they said was:

"Steve got back to us saying it is neither EPCC or USPCC but a new factory he is working with to make decks that the other two companies can't do"

Will have to take a good look at the tuck box for the printer info when they arrive.
ICantShuffle
White Whale: Bicycle Venexianas
Decks Owned: 270

Unread post by ICantShuffle »

Cartamundi?
steveminty
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by steveminty »

Hello everyone! Thought I'd pop in to clarify some things. This printer I'm using is a new factory I'm trying out and I'm keeping that information close to the chest as I may go into creating a custom playing cards service, but who knows. I already have my hands full with publishing my decks as it is anyways. Until I decide one way or another, consider it SMPCC (Steve Minty Playing Card Company)? Additionally, the process isn't like VXD and isn't really holographic in the same way their decks are. Iridescent foil would be the correct terminology and it isn't overlaid on top of the print like VXD. I should get Geekthirst to change that info on the website.

Anyways! If you have any questions just hit me up!
-Steve
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the info.
I just ordered a few of these they look amazing.

Can you tell us how many were printed and if there is likely to be another print run in the future?
steveminty
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

No problem! I printed 2000 of these decks and unlikely will do another print run but who knows?

Anyways! Hope I got your answers
VXD
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by VXD »

Hello Steve

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm sure you understand that it is just something we have to concern ourselves with, given the journey we had to go through to innovate and develop our construction and attain the patent. Nothing personal, of course.

Maybe unsurprisingly...I like the Moon Deck from what I see a lot. Good job, as always.

Cheers
KT52

Unread post by KT52 »

steveminty wrote:No problem! I printed 2000 of these decks and unlikely will do another print run but who knows?

Are all 2000 of them selling at GeekThirst? I heard from a friend that they were selling them in San Jose at the crunchyroll expo anime convention.
steveminty
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

VXD wrote:Hello Steve

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm sure you understand that it is just something we have to concern ourselves with, given the journey we had to go through to innovate and develop our construction and attain the patent. Nothing personal, of course.

Maybe unsurprisingly...I like the Moon Deck from what I see a lot. Good job, as always.

Cheers
No worries! That's understandable, I'd be concerned too if I were in your shoes. Thanks!
KT52 wrote:
steveminty wrote:No problem! I printed 2000 of these decks and unlikely will do another print run but who knows?

Are all 2000 of them selling at GeekThirst? I heard from a friend that they were selling them in San Jose at the crunchyroll expo anime convention.
Most of them are with GeekThirst but I do have a few on hand just in case.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Anyone know if the Z deck was ever released on GeekThirst?
rfugiel

Unread post by rfugiel »

Long time lurker, so hopefully this doesn’t stay in the abyss too long but I felt the need to post because I’ve had these for 2ish? weeks now.

I think the description is on point. The only part standard are the sides.

Front: More iridescent than holographic as Steve mentioned, covering the entire front. The number cards and the background look like one and the same. The court cards have a distinct foreground and background.

Backs: Same iridescent as the front with what I assume is gold foiling. The foiling is on the same layer as the iridescent so the back feels sleek unlike say Regalia which you can feel the texture differences.

Tuck: Matte box with gold embossing, with the coloring continue inside the box.

Card stock: These are probably the thickest cards I’ve held. If anyone is familiar with old trading cards, they are similar to Ultra Flair in terms of thickness. 37ish cards is the same height as a deck of 54 standard bikes. Anyone who has OCD when storing decks might have a breakdown trying to put these away. I do find it hard to see myself ever playing with this deck solely because of the stock thickness. The other take away is the stock seems to get damaged much easier. I do have a few cards which look like a sharp edge left impressions. Almost all have indentations from what I assume were the vices used to hold the cards in place as everything was layered on.

Handling: They handle as you might expect a thick deck might. Don’t think you will see many people trying cardistry with these. Riffling is stiff and I attempted to faro but it required much more pressure than I was comfortable with putting forth. They do fan decently but I can only get small fans since the deck is like 30% larger than normal decks. I found my hands left with gold flakes, but since I haven’t played with them other than some handling, I don’t know if this is an “initial-first-few-times “issue or a “down-the-road-there-is -literally-no-more-gold-foil-on-the-backs” issue.

I do have some long-term concerns with the foiling after viewing the front edges that it may peel over time if overused sort of like what has happened when people played with Magic: The Gathering foils without cards sleeves. Though considering it will probably affect like 1 person, it might be a moot point.

Phew. With all that said, this is probably one of the prettiest decks I have seen. The cards are certainly better in person than in pictures. Even with some issues, which I believe comes with the territory of how these were created, I am extremely happy with my purchase.

TL, DR.

Some flaws, but Steve crushed it.