Kalevala Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
ICantShuffle
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Bicycle Venexianas
Decks Owned: 270

Re: Kalevala Playing Cards - LIVE NOW

Unread post by ICantShuffle »

So, about those possible prototype deck add-ons... :D

Great news to read while drinking my coffee before work, your deck is funded! I am excited!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Funded!!!

A (first time) backer just made a large donation without specifying what he or she needs. I have messaged him and awaiting his response. Just wary of the fact that if the pledge doesn't go through in the end, I'd need to put the delta from my own pocket.

Anyways, I am working with Clove St Press to upgrade the standard tuck to a letterpress tuck with copper or similar colored foil. Should announce the stretch goal in the next few days.
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

Congratulations Sunish, that's great news!
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Congrats on reaching funding!! This is a deck most certainly worth production :D
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

PipChick wrote:Congrats on reaching funding!! This is a deck most certainly worth production :D
Thanks. I think every creator wants to see his/her decks getting produced. Every Mother Thinks Her Child Is the Most Beautiful.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Congrats on hitting your funding goal. What does Vishnu Khare think of the artwork? I can only guess that Roope is excited.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Bradius wrote:Congrats on hitting your funding goal. What does Vishnu Khare think of the artwork? I can only guess that Roope is excited.
Thanks @Bradius.

Vishnu had said the following & I've not really solved the last part.
"Your letter and your project are very interesting indeed. But, I don't see any Hindi lines or quotes from my translation."
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

A tough critic! I think the cards are best without quotes. Maybe if you did a booklet, but that is a whole other amount of work.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Bradius wrote:A tough critic! I think the cards are best without quotes. Maybe if you did a booklet, but that is a whole other amount of work.
You're right. Poets are usually tough critics.

I'd the booklet in mind, and have announced it as the stretch goal. Once the stretch goal is reached, every backer will receive the booklet as part of their reward automatically. Apart from the character details, inspiration etc., the booklet will have the name of all the backers who supported Kalevala on Kickstarter.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Kalevala Playing Cards - Coming soon

Unread post by guru »

Bradius wrote:Guru, it was a kickstarter campaign for Raven Son. A book I think based on Russian Fairy tales. Here is a link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... an-fairy-t
@Bradius - I heard from Nicholas Kotar today. Nice guy.

Now I am thinking that in case the Exclusive tier with the real functional sword is still available at the end of the campaign then I will do the giveaway of the sword after the campaign. May be, the backers who pledged for 6 deck tier or more, I have not decided yet.

I asked Nicholas how was he able to put the giveaway on the campaign page itself as Kickstarter policy prohibits any on their page and he didn't have any idea. Good for him.....
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

All,

In the booklet, I am thinking to include the usernames of all backers from United Cardists as well apart from all Kickstarter backers (real names as per the survey) to show gratitude and convey thanks for supporting this project. I'll get the details through the survey asking specifically about the user ID here. It will be mentioned in a separate section dedicated to UC.

Any thoughts or suggestions? How do you find this idea?

PS: Booklet's stretch goal seems quite far but I am still contemplating to get it printed along with the decks exclusively for Kickstarter backers. Just checking with Gamblers Warehouse in case there is any additional handling cost for this as it is another SKU or item even though its weight will not be a great deal.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Exclusive & complimentary Kalevala booklet available now for all Kickstarter backers. It is free and will be part of the reward package. This booklet will have the inspiration, early sketches, character description & names of all the backers who supported this Kickstarter project and will be sized around 63 X 88 mm with 20-26 pages in total. Along with the names of all backers, I also plan to include the UC usernames of everyone here who are supporting this kickstarter project. I will be getting this information through Kickstarter survey after the campaign ends on Sept 7th.

This booklet will not be available post Kickstarter or in any retail store and is exclusively for Kickstarter backers only. I could not have done this without you and your name needs to be part of the product somewhere. The extra expenses of printing the booklet will be paid from my own pocket & every pledge will automatically receive a booklet as part of their reward package.

Check the latest update to know more:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/2263984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

guru wrote:Exclusive & complimentary Kalevala booklet available now for all Kickstarter backers. It is free and will be part of the reward package. This booklet will have the inspiration, early sketches, character description & names of all the backers who supported this Kickstarter project and will be sized around 63 X 88 mm with 20-26 pages in total. Along with the names of all backers, I also plan to include the UC usernames of everyone here who are supporting this kickstarter project. I will be getting this information through Kickstarter survey after the campaign ends on Sept 7th.

This booklet will not be available post Kickstarter or in any retail store and is exclusively for Kickstarter backers only. I could not have done this without you and your name needs to be part of the product somewhere. The extra expenses of printing the booklet will be paid from my own pocket & every pledge will automatically receive a booklet as part of their reward package.

Check the latest update to know more:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/2263984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damn, this is nice.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Transformation in 29 days and still a work in progress.

Väinämöinen's Sword- Hand-forged with love in the USA.
38612374_467372790339898_3713306944618889216_n.jpg
39191483_475164899560687_724931964930359296_n.jpg
Really amazing process & progress...
Randomly Here

Unread post by Randomly Here »

PipChick wrote:+1 on back A - even though the colors do fade into one another, I think the difference in the white with the more aged-looking beige is too stark and don't feel cohesive to the overall old world feel of the deck (IMO)... lookin' good though :)
You reason as an expert, while not understanding anything in the printing of the decks.
theCapraAegagrus

Randomly Here wrote:
PipChick wrote:+1 on back A - even though the colors do fade into one another, I think the difference in the white with the more aged-looking beige is too stark and don't feel cohesive to the overall old world feel of the deck (IMO)... lookin' good though :)
You reason as an expert, while not understanding anything in the printing of the decks.
You're the 2nd account for Wanderer. Gtfo. No one wants you here. You're not welcome here.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Randomly Here wrote:
stop messaging me creep - like you honestly think I don't know it's you - you're pathetic. And now you're out here poisoning another creator's thread with your bs.
Casual Pixels
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Casual Pixels »

PipChick wrote:like you honestly think I don't know it's you - you're pathetic. And now you're out here poisoning another creator's thread with your bs.
Yeah; looking through this new account's posts, it certainly looks to be the same guy. Pathetic is right.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

The video in the latest update is a must watch.

Update #11: Kalevala - by Scott Sandwich https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/2271989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way, Scott Sandwich is supporting this as a backer :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Just thought of sharing it here on UC....

Got this backer named Neil Gaiman pledging for Kalevala today.

Not sure how many Gaimans are there on Kickstarter, but there is someone confirmed for sure.

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/meet-a ... eil-gaiman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd already written a few days back to Neil on adapting one of his work as a playing card deck, and if all goes well, it will be done in around 12 months or so.

But, I now need to get Kalevala decks produced and fulfilled as fast as possible. Let's see.
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

Nice! A Sandman deck would really be something. But any of his works would be fantastic.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Kalevala Playing Cards - LIVE NOW (plus giveaway)

Unread post by guru »

Celebrating the Kalevala Kickstarter campaign with this giveaway offered exclusively to all Kickstarter backers.

@Bradius - Got this giveaway idea from Nicholas Kotar (Raven Son: Epic Fantasy novel). Thanks for sharing his details with me.

You all here at UC do not need to do anything as most of you are already in as a Kalevala backer.
kalevala_giveaway.jpg
damascus_dagger_kalevala_giveaway.png
damascus_dagger_kalevala_giveaway.png (677.39 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
More details here and on Instagram.

https://www.facebook.com/guruplayingcar ... =3&theater

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm7ZxKAFOMQ ... ayingcards

Winner will be announced on Sept 17th and I anticipate the prize to be shipped from US by Oct or Nov'18.

There are some conditions to be fulfilled and so every backer needs to do their bit to make sure more and more people come to know about this Kickstarter campaign.

I use this and similar random name picker tools for the giveaway and made it transparent in my last giveaways.

https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do hope someone from UC wins it. Good luck.

Both the damascus dagger and limited edition deck are exquisite works of art, you can only experience them, no picture will be able to do justice to them.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

A good look at the Damascus dagger....

Note that it is brand new and donated by a backer (has been there as a supporter since my first Guru Ganjifa deck). He was looking to give it as a gift and I didn't want to take it, so in the end with the mutual agreement, this is a giveaway prize. Ships from US worldwide.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

A backer just dropped a 4 deck limited edition tier.....thought of sharing here just in case.

On another note, the wooden sword is done by the bladesmith and it looks awesome...

Steve Fox

Unread post by Steve Fox »

Cool and amazing "vintage" illustration. I like a look more modern but this deck is good. It's like telling a story
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

guru wrote:A good look at the Damascus dagger....

Note that it is brand new and donated by a backer (has been there as a supporter since my first Guru Ganjifa deck). He was looking to give it as a gift and I didn't want to take it, so in the end with the mutual agreement, this is a giveaway prize. Ships from US worldwide.
As many of you no doubt know, the dagger is a Scottish Sgian Dubh often worn in the sock when wearing the kilt. That is certainly a beautiful one. I love Damascus steel.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Handcrafted Rashi (Zodiac) Ganjifa available as an add-on now. A real handcrafted & handpainted deck with 12 suits.......a collector crave as every deck is handcrafted, no two decks can be the same.

Check latest update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/2274973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Latest update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/2277736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More importantly, this in progress picture looks cool and I've been told that the edge is one of the sharpest created by the bladesmith.

guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Running this contest on Instagram & Facebook....

"When everybody failed to stop the mad titan Thanos, the first man, Väinämöinen returned as per his promise made centuries ago."

What happened when both came face to face?

Comment below while tagging another friend of yours and if your story matches with us exactly, you win a Kalevala limited edition deck and an uncut sheet (ready to frame on a wall).

Winner to be chosen through a raffle in case many entries match with the correct answer. You might see a fully illustrated scene showing the fight between the two.

PS: Väinämöinen is a demigod, hero and the central character in Finnish folklore and the main character in the national epic Kalevala.
In the Estonian national epic Kalevipoeg, a similar hero is called Vanemuine. In neighboring Scandinavia, Odin shares many attributes with Väinämöinen, such as connections to magic and poetry. Väinämöinen has been identified as a source for Gandalf, the wizard in J. R. R. Tolkien's novel The Lord of the Rings. Another Tolkienian character with great similarities to Väinämöinen is Tom Bombadil. Like Väinämöinen, he is one of the most powerful beings in his world, and both are ancient and natural beings in their setting. Both Tom Bombadil and Väinämöinen rely on the power of song and lore.
theCapraAegagrus

Thanos pimp-slapped him into Nidavellir's core...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠