Theory 11 - Animal Kingdom Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Evan

Re: Theory 11 - Animal Kingdom Playing Cards & White Monarch

Unread post by Evan »

Andrei Jikh wrote:
Evan wrote:
Andrei Jikh wrote:Yep they're available now, I believe this is an unlimited release and will stay that way.
HasT11 thought about doing any other color variations of this deck?
Ha no we just literally released these today.

What color were you thinking?
Someone on page 1 posted that it would look cool in teal and I agree.
Fluffykitten

Unread post by Fluffykitten »

john wrote:
Andrei Jikh wrote:These pictures haven't been released yet but here's an early preview for you guys. Awesome ultra thin borders and just overall fun deck. You don't see a light hearted theme much and it's very different from what theory11 does - I love these. Can't stop using these.
Hmm, anyone else think a teal version would look really good.

I keep going back to this. I wish it we real. I like it more than the real one.
Andrei Jikh

Unread post by Andrei Jikh »

I like teal a LOT. It's very pretty. In fact, when I was looking for set designs for the photography, this very nice blue was my first choice. I had no idea what our sticker seals looked like, but they were also the same color (or at least very similar). Here's what that originally looked like (taken on my iPhone).

Personally not sure if I like it more than orange, just because orange is so bright and vivid (and favorite color ha). But I definitely dig the teal/turquoise scheme. I showed it to the team already but they're too busy enjoying the holidays. Will report back once I hear back from them. I think they'll dig it as well.
decksparadise

Unread post by decksparadise »

OHHH these decks are just AWESOME! the orange looks nice on the tuck box!! :D
Simplicity is beautiful.
Fluffykitten

Andrei Jikh wrote:I like teal a LOT. It's very pretty. In fact, when I was looking for set designs for the photography, this very nice blue was my first choice. I had no idea what our sticker seals looked like, but they were also the same color (or at least very similar). Here's what that originally looked like (taken on my iPhone).

Personally not sure if I like it more than orange, just because orange is so bright and vivid (and favorite color ha). But I definitely dig the teal/turquoise scheme. I showed it to the team already but they're too busy enjoying the holidays. Will report back once I hear back from them. I think they'll dig it as well.
That teal looks great! I got the orange decks to give as gifts, but it looked so good it took me a minute to realize teal was not an official color. And then I was a bit sad.
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Thanks eveyone. just received a six dollar check from T11 in donations from this deck.
I am going to take out a hot little Walrus I have been after. Damn it is good to be King.
lumpyliew
Collector: Yes

Unread post by lumpyliew »

LOL walrus .. Haha I just purchased 20 decks :)
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!
alric
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by alric »

I ordered these decks on Monday. Has anyone received a shipping confirmation yet?
Oswin
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Oswin »

alric wrote:I ordered these decks on Monday. Has anyone received a shipping confirmation yet?
Nothing moving too, I've ordered some of it Tuesday.

They are not answer of any mail.
"Le temps passe, mais les oeufs durs !" - Daniel Prévost
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

Received them today, then got the shipping confirmation. Have to say, for me, T11 shipping beats e every day (just got shipping notice from e that my order from 12/22 will arrive on 1/7).

Anyways - the cards are nice - critter royalty is cute and the borders seems reasonably thin. (The gaffed dice, on the other hand, are cloudy.)
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

I ordered a couple of decks before Christmas break and just got a shipping notification about an hour ago...
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

MJF wrote:I ordered a couple of decks before Christmas break and just got a shipping notification about an hour ago...
Me too. Except for the "break" part. ;)
No matter where you go... there you are :|
alric

Unread post by alric »

I finally got a shipment notice...sort of. I had to email T11 to ask about the status of my order. I got a response today stating that my order is still being filled, but that since their warehouse is closed for the New Year holiday, they won't likely ship out my order until January 2 and I'll receive my shipping confirmation then.

Again, I placed my order on December 24 and it looks like it won't ship out until 9 days later! I get that 2 of those days will be taken up by Christmas and New Years day, but it sounds like others have already received their decks and mine is still 4 days away from even being shipped, so it'll probably be another week from now before I have them in hand.

I had the same response as Hikeeba did from E. I placed an order on December 23 and while I got a shipping confirmation on the 24th, the tracking doesn't project that I'll get my order until January 7 via UPS. E really needs to switch over to USPS since its cheaper and faster.
Fluffykitten

alric wrote:I finally got a shipment notice...sort of. I had to email T11 to ask about the status of my order. I got a response today stating that my order is still being filled, but that since their warehouse is closed for the New Year holiday, they won't likely ship out my order until January 2 and I'll receive my shipping confirmation then.

Again, I placed my order on December 24 and it looks like it won't ship out until 9 days later! I get that 2 of those days will be taken up by Christmas and New Years day, but it sounds like others have already received their decks and mine is still 4 days away from even being shipped, so it'll probably be another week from now before I have them in hand.

I had the same response as Hikeeba did from E. I placed an order on December 23 and while I got a shipping confirmation on the 24th, the tracking doesn't project that I'll get my order until January 7 via UPS. E really needs to switch over to USPS since its cheaper and faster.
i placed an order for E and t11 on the day they had the free white monarchs. i got my shipping tracking for t11 but E is taking their sweet time to ship.
Oswin

Unread post by Oswin »

Always nothing.... No very professionnal to give any answer :?
RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Re: Theory 11 - Animal Kingdom Playing Cards

Unread post by RSLancastr »

A repost from the "Look what I just added to my collection!" topic:

Today's acquisition:

==========[ AnimalKingdom ]==========

The courts in this lovely deck are portrayed by animals.

Each suit represents a different environment/ecosystem:

Hearts - Grasslands
Clubs - Swamp
Diamonds - Jungle
Spades - Arctic

Although I enjoyed the deck (particularly its courts) overall, there were a few things about it which bothered me:

=====ACE OF SPADES=====

While custom, I found the deck's Spade Ace to be...underwhelming.

The body of the card's pip is divided into four sections, each of which, I assume, relates to one of the four aforementioned environments/ecosystems, but it was not clear to me just how they related to them.

===== "ONE-EYED" COURTS=====

== JACKS ==

It is traditional for the only jacks in a deck to be "one-eyed" (shown in profile) to be the Jacks of Hearts and Spades.

In this deck, the Jacks of Hearts and Spades ARE shown in profile, but so is the Jack of Diamonds.

== KINGS ==

It is traditional for only the King of Diamonds to be "one-eyed".

In this deck, the King of Diamonds is NOT "one-eyed", but instead, the King of Clubs is.

== QUEENS ==

It is traditional for NO Queen to be "one-eyed".

In this deck, the Queens of Spades and Diamonds ARE.

===== BACK DESIGN =====

Gamblers and cardists generally prefer card backs to be "double-ended" (look the same rightside-up as upside down).

The backs in this deck are (subtly) Single-ended, although it takes some close observation to notice.

While the above "flaws" would be of little if any consequence to the average cardplayer, they show a disdain for - or ignorance of - playing card design tradition which I find disappointing, especially in a deck where such obvious talent and thought went into the overall design of the courts.
-Marcel Marceau
Andrei Jikh

To each his own.

I love these decks. They look great to me and I'm a hardcore card who...- artist. :lol: I always take my work very seriously, but I think it's important to be lighthearted and not take yourself very seriously. They keep things in perspective and in this industry - we all need it. These decks do that for me and I hope they do for you as well. This is all while serving an amazing cause to preserve nature, our species and the world we live in. Not many decks can say that.
Oswin

Unread post by Oswin »

I've got these decks, there are pretty nice !

But not my White Monarch :(
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

RSLancastr wrote:While the above "flaws" would be of little if any consequence to the average cardplayer, they show a disdain for - or ignorance of - playing card design tradition which I find disappointing, especially in a deck where such obvious talent and thought went into the overall design of the courts.
Sorry Bob. I gotta disagree. Traditions Shmaditions. These cards are great. Love the custom courts.

I don't see how you can use the words "disdain" or "ignorance" like that without knowing a whole lot more about the work and people involved in creating this deck.

I know I like all those little details too. But if every deck out there followed tradition, our card collecting world would be less interesting.
PLUS, when a "generally non-custom court deck producer" like Theory 11 steps out of its comfort zone with a super fun one like this, I say good job.

And "subtle one way backs" are part of every cardists armory, aren't they?

O and by the way, Happy Birthday Mr. Jikh. You are sooo much younger than I am. :?
No matter where you go... there you are :|
Andrei Jikh

Haha thanks Sharpie! Looking forward getting there, should be quite the journey. :D
RSLancastr

Sharpie wrote:Sorry Bob. I gotta disagree. Traditions Shmaditions. These cards are great. Love the custom courts.
Don't get me wrong, I love them too - I just wish more attention had been paid to tradition is all.
I don't see how you can use the words "disdain" or "ignorance" like that without knowing a whole lot more about the work and people involved in creating this deck.
I am open to other interpretations if you have any. "ignorance", by the way, does not refer to a lack of intelligence, just a lack of knowledge.
I know I like all those little details too. But if every deck out there followed tradition, our card collecting world would be less interesting.

I'm not sure that I agree.

In fact, I'm sure that I do NOT agree. I fail to see what is interesting about a third one-eyed Jack, for instance. Would it be "interesting" if decks, instead of having three hearts on their three of hearts card, had a random number of some random object? No? I thought not.

Here is my take on the Tradition thing:

It is not just a slavish devotion to tradition for tradition's sake. It is about putting a themed "spin" on a deck. while still making the deck as usable/playable as possible.

To me, a well-designed and well-drawn custom deck takes the standard deck and puts an interesting "twist" on it using some theme, while leaving the deck imminently usable. If someone playing a card game using the deck has trouble recognizing a card, it detracts from the deck's playability, and the deck's playability should be the designer's primary goal.

And there was nothing in the "flaws" I pointed out which served the deck's theme any better than honoring tradition would have.
PLUS, when a "generally non-custom court deck producer" like Theory 11 steps out of its comfort zone with a super fun one like this, I say good job.[/quote]

I am not familiar enough with their output to know what types of courts they usually produce, but indeed, I say "good job" regardless of that. But even a"good job" can usually be a better one.

And "subtle one way backs" are part of every cardists armory, aren't they?

O and by the way, Happy Birthday Mr. Jikh. You are sooo much younger than I am. :?[/quote]
-Marcel Marceau
ShyGuy

Unread post by ShyGuy »

I just got these today in the mail and let me tell you, these are superb!

At least I wasn't sure because they looked too "cartoon"-ish for my tastes, but when I started playing with them they grew on me.

I think the colours in this deck make it for me, much more refreshing than the usually black/white decks T11 produces.

Great work!
RSLancastr

Yes, the colors are part of what attracted me to the deck when I saw the promotional photos.

You mentioned playing with them. I don't know that I have EVER used one of the decks in my collection to play even a hand of a card game.

There have been times when my wife and I have wanted to play a game of Rummy (or whatever) and, after rummaging around in our kitchen drawers, I'll say "do we have a deck of cards somewhere?"

It always gets a laugh.
-Marcel Marceau
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

How can you distinguish between V1 and V2?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

hsbc wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:08 pm How can you distinguish between V1 and V2?
Took out some V1's to check: They have a seal, and also have the old T11 logo on the bottom.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

MagikFingerz wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:15 pmThey have a seal, and also have the old T11 logo on the bottom.
Thanks! To be clear the deck pictured also had a seal, I just took it off :lol:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

hsbc wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:16 pm
MagikFingerz wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:15 pmThey have a seal, and also have the old T11 logo on the bottom.
Thanks! To be clear the deck pictured also had a seal, I just took it off :lol:
Ah, ok :mrgreen: Just the logo, then. The V1's have this one:

- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki