Brüt Tarot by UUSI now live on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Eoghann
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Brüt Tarot by UUSI now live on Kickstarter

Unread post by Eoghann »

I wonder if both tarot uncuts will have the same special artwork? Either way I think I'll just go for the picture one. :lol:

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Drats. It's a full package, two uncuts and a tarot deck. I don't want a pip only uncut. :lol:
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Eoghann wrote:Drats. It's a full package, two uncuts and a tarot deck. I don't want a pip only uncut. :lol:
Notice that the One of Clubs is used as a "primary card" with their logo, like in traditional European decks. No embellishments to the One (Ace) of Spades at all, which is a tradition created by American printers.

Very nice! I have seen decks from the mid-1800's that use the Jack of Clubs or even 4 of Clubs - although I have to admit that I have no idea exactly why that is.

Maybe Dazz can comment, or Dan - any ideas where the tradition shifted or who started that movement to the AoS as the "primary" identification card? I have clues, but not enough to say anything concrete.

I know a few Dondorf decks produced as late as 1933 (when they crashed and burned) had it on the 4 of Clubs, which I personally find curious, because the Ace (of One) of Clubs wasn't overly flowered up as noted in the reference cited, but had the manufacturer's name under the single pip.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Mike, there is some information on that at this topic at PCF:

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=8147.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

PrincessTrouble wrote:Mike, there is some information on that at this topic
Go figure that it was the British government that got it started. It does makes sense that I've heard it came from USPCC, which I knew was wrong, after all we were originally a colony.

I haven't kept up my reading here lately, or I would have already known, eh? :roll:
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Mike Ratledge wrote:
Eoghann wrote:Drats. It's a full package, two uncuts and a tarot deck. I don't want a pip only uncut. :lol:
Notice that the One of Clubs is used as a "primary card" with their logo, like in traditional European decks. No embellishments to the One (Ace) of Spades at all, which is a tradition created by American printers.

Very nice! I have seen decks from the mid-1800's that use the Jack of Clubs or even 4 of Clubs - although I have to admit that I have no idea exactly why that is.

Maybe Dazz can comment, or Dan - any ideas where the tradition shifted or who started that movement to the AoS as the "primary" identification card? I have clues, but not enough to say anything concrete.

I know a few Dondorf decks produced as late as 1933 (when they crashed and burned) had it on the 4 of Clubs, which I personally find curious, because the Ace (of One) of Clubs wasn't overly flowered up as noted in the reference cited, but had the manufacturer's name under the single pip.
I also find it interesting they used the AoC for their "primary card". I also like they used "1" as the value of the Ace. That is traditional. Yes, the JoC was the traditional "primary card". It was the card for the artist. I think it's the most less-valued court card in the deck at that time. Perfect for an artist's signature card. C. Hewson.
Screenshot 2015-05-12 17.59.52.png
Screenshot 2015-05-12 17.59.52.png (58.04 KiB) Viewed 962 times
I read that the AoS became the primary card because you had to got to the tax office and purchase the AoS card. I heard someone got hanged for making fake AoS. Back then the BackofCard was white.
RussellSprouts
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I got my gilded copper poker deck. It was hard as a brick. Any tips on breaking apart the cards? I recall something of letting them settle for a couple of weeks before using.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
CostlyAxis

Unread post by CostlyAxis »

Bikefanatic wrote:I got my gilded copper poker deck. It was hard as a brick. Any tips on breaking apart the cards? I recall something of letting them settle for a couple of weeks before using.
What I do (as originally suggested by Mike) is let them sit for a couple weeks and then slightly flex the deck back and forth to break them apart. It takes a bit of a force, but just enough to flex it slightly. From there you can separate the remaining cards. I've done this for all of my Uusi gilded decks.
Bikefanatic

Maybe next Monday-Wednesday I'll attempt to use them.
Attachments
Cards23282016.jpg
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

I got my copper gilded deck too (#4/50) and am letting it sit for a while.
Bikefanatic

I'm not really slightly disappointed but even after 2 weeks of having the deck, the gilding was peeling away. This the only deck to do so out of the many older decks I have.

-Lotrek